Two Suggested Additions For Home Security

This is a discussion on Two Suggested Additions For Home Security within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lurked but never posted in this forum... Reading through the posts, I notice I have a couple of things not mentioned. One is industrial 36" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Suggested Additions For Home Security

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Lurked but never posted in this forum...

Reading through the posts, I notice I have a couple of things not mentioned. One is industrial 36" cable ties, duct tape and a bull whip.

I'll explain.. The cable ties are through out the house. Top of refrigerator, table by front door etc. They are for subduing a non lethal threat. For example the knothead that throws up his hands when he sees I have a gun pointed at him. Same for the duct tape.

The bullwhip (10 foot) is for when the knothead takes off running. Remember, we can't shoot him at this point.. But if I can catch him, he can go to jail. There are tons of videos and publications on their use. Out of curiosity more than anything, I have became quiet proficent at catching (willing) people. I trip them with a couple of wraps around the legs and once on the ground, I can tie them up.

Just some thoughts...

Best, all

Craig

ps, fire extinguishers are also handy. It will scare the crap out of you for just enough time to disorientate someone when sprayed in the face.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Not a real good idea on trying to tie up an intruder. Even the most non threatening knot head can become a violent threat when you try to go hands on. Leave the restraints to the ones trained in it. If you have one that surrenders, just have them prone out face down and wait for the law. If you are holding them at gunpoint, make sure that the 911 operator knows and relays your description to the responding officers.

As for the bull whip, what happens when a retreating bandit thinks he's being shot and and happens to be armed himself? Not trying to throw stones but just running through some possibilities.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Not a real good idea on trying to tie up an intruder. Even the most non threatening knot head can become a violent threat when you try to go hands on. Leave the restraints to the ones trained in it. If you have one that surrenders, just have them prone out face down and wait for the law. If you are holding them at gunpoint, make sure that the 911 operator knows and relays your description to the responding officers.

As for the bull whip, what happens when a retreating bandit thinks he's being shot and and happens to be armed himself? Not trying to throw stones but just running through some possibilities.
    Good points! Re: whip; The idea is to get them on the ground, not crack the whip. Some folks (around here) live in areas where it can take up to 30 minutes to get law enforcement on site.

Here, when you dial 911 (in a police related scenario) it may be relayed to Berea (city) Police, Madison County Sheriff, Richond (city) Police or Ky State Police, or, Rockcastle County Sheriff. This is the problem with Kentucky. Some counties (like Madison) can be served by several different agencies. My subdivision is served by Berea City Police. Five hundred foot to my south is served by either, Kentucky State Police, or, Madison county Shreiff. And that depends on the situation at hand and the number of units available at the time.

Re: other comments. Again well taken! I have a bit more training than the average homeowner. I suppose a, Clint Eastwood, comment comes into play; You have to know your limitations.

Appreciate your constructive comments and thoughts.

Best!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

^^^^Agree on that, my country place is according to the County Police "Not Served" during the nighttime. Depending on where you are, you might be on your own for a while in rural Ky.

Good points I will implement the Tie wraps and duct tape. Police response here can be an hour or worse.

I also keep cable ties around the house and in my car just in case.

A bullwhip huh...well to each his own if you are proficient with it then it is a super idea...we are only limited by our imaginations in regards to potential weapons...remember many of the martial arts weapons used to be farming tools.

I wonder how many folks come out against restraining a BG...seems to be a touchy subject here, but a skillset that should be learned and mastered since we cannot see into the future.

In many cases it could take 1 hour or more for LE to get on scene, that is a long time to post guard on a BG that has his wheels turning and not wanting to go to jail...might be more dangerous NOT to restrain the BG in some cases.
    Led By Love Of Country

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hengst View Post
    I also keep cable ties around the house and in my car just in case.

A bullwhip huh...well to each his own if you are proficient with it then it is a super idea...we are only limited by our imaginations in regards to potential weapons...remember many of the martial arts weapons used to be farming tools.

I wonder how many folks come out against restraining a BG...seems to be a touchy subject here, but a skillset that should be learned and mastered since we cannot see into the future.

In many cases it could take 1 hour or more for LE to get on scene, that is a long time to post guard on a BG that has his wheels turning and not wanting to go to jail...might be more dangerous NOT to restrain the BG in some cases.
    I'm going to say that the main thought of most here will be that the BG should not need to be tied up, if he/she came looking to do harm, they should be leaving by way of lying flat. Just my thought on the responses that will come this way.

I do agree if you should catch one and have this nagging feeling of not wanting to lay them out, it would be nice to have some material to tie them up and good and tight and wait for the LEOs to come.

As far as the other item mentioned, if their on your property, is there such a thing as you can't shoot them, haven't heard of that in Texas yet LOL.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Not too far from where I am a couple guys drove by a house that was getting robbed. When they confronted the thief he took off, they chased him down and hog tied him and waited for the sheriff.

Luckily no one got hurt and no weapons were used. The deputy thanked the young men and took the BG to jail.

There are a lot of ranchers out here and rodeo is a high school sport.

I have debated the cable ties and duct tape too. Honestly, I just don’t want to touch the scumbags. The majority of them are meth heads and very volatile.

It would be a shame to maim a misguided youth who made a mistake with drugs. In the dark its hard to tell the diference in a hardened felon with a pistol...
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Not too far from where I am a couple guys drove by a house that was getting robbed. When they confronted the thief he took off, they chased him down and hog tied him and waited for the sheriff.

Luckily no one got hurt and no weapons were used. The deputy thanked the young men and took the BG to jail.

There are a lot of ranchers out here and rodeo is a high school sport.

I have debated the cable ties and duct tape too. Honestly, I just don’t want to touch the scumbags. The majority of them are meth heads and very volatile.
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Interesting... I wouldn't be trying to subdue the BG though as I don't have much experience with that. I would more likely toss his butt in a broom closet (right after I call the dog off).
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Good points. Might work fine for some, not so for others. Again circumstance's will dictate what will work or not. But to me the constant best defence is being legaly armed, I am.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I can see where it could be of use in some situations. I have ropes all over I could use to catch or tie up a BG not that I would just that I could. They may think I'm about to hang them though.

Since we're talking about hypothetical and inprovised weapons/restraints.....Why not use super glue as a restraint? It's pretty instant (haven't you ever been trying to glue something and stuck your fingers together and thought "wow that was really fast!") You pot a bunch on the inside of each wrist of the BG and place said wrists to each side of the BG's neck just under his/her ears..... It'll be really painfull to pull the skin off the wrist or the neck to get away..... and possibly quite entertaining for the next hour or so while you're waiting for the police to arrive! When the police finally arrive, they WILL have to cuff them and remove their wrists from their neck!..... maybe you'll even make the news?

At least its a thought! LOL
    "Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori.”

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by STOGIE01 View Post
    Since we're talking about hypothetical and inprovised weapons/restraints.....Why not use super glue as a restraint? It's pretty instant (haven't you ever been trying to glue something and stuck your fingers together and thought "wow that was really fast!") You pot a bunch on the inside of each wrist of the BG and place said wrists to each side of the BG's neck just under his/her ears..... It'll be really painfull to pull the skin off the wrist or the neck to get away..... and possibly quite entertaining for the next hour or so while you're waiting for the police to arrive! When the police finally arrive, they WILL have to cuff them and remove their wrists from their neck!..... maybe you'll even make the news?

At least its a thought! LOL
    not a good idea IMO.... but
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    not a good idea IMO.... but
    I know it not but at least I got a laugh outta it! LOL
    "Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links