Laser for Home Defense Hand Gun?

This is a discussion on Laser for Home Defense Hand Gun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My home set up is pretty simple, I have a glock 21 on my nightstand and a walk in closet in my bathroom in case ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser for Home Defense Hand Gun?

Laser for Home Defense Hand Gun?

My home set up is pretty simple, I have a glock 21 on my nightstand and a walk in closet in my bathroom in case I need to run and hunker down. In there, I have my 12 guage, a revolver and enough ammo to make a small European country envious.

I have seen a lot of pros and cons on this, but would it make sense to get a night laser sight for the nightstand glock? My bedroom is VERY dark, and the potential BGs would be coming in from the media room which is pretty bright, even at night, due to the A/V equipment. Would the laser light give up any advantage I would have with me being in the dark and them in the light, or would the laser off set that?

Curious what you all thought and appreciative of your comments.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    what you want is a light, not a laser. A laser will do nothing to ID or illuminate your target.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    With all due respect SIXTO, if I were a BG with a gun and bad intentions, I'd shoot at a flashlight? My thought is to not draw attention to myself while I put a bead on the BG?

PSLOwner - I'm in the same thought process with you here; I also have ambient lighting throughout the first floor of my house, which is almost entirely visible from a floating hallway on the second floor. If some poor jerk breaks in, he's in the middle of a shooting gallery from upstairs.

However, I'm not trained in this kind of thing, and would like to see what I'm missing here?
    Last edited by WHEC724; March 25th, 2010 at 07:59 AM.

Lasers are a gimmick, yes they are accurate but if the battery dies or the laser dont work hope you have the gun pre sighted
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Lasers are NOT a gimmick - they are a tool.

The first rule of having a laser on any weapon is to be proficient WITHOUT the laser.

But like a light, lasers are a tool. They allow you to do several things -
    1) you can fire with out looking at your sights - around barricades, that sort of thing.
    2) they back up your sights.
    3) they DO give of some illumination - I have used laser pointer pens to find stuff in the dark so I dont wake the wife or baby.
    4) people with aging eyes may find it easier to find a red or green glowing dot than thier sights.
    5) they make great training tools.

Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

that being said, I would get a good light before I got a laser.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Yep, gotta agree with most here: Light first, laser second.

Remember, part of the rules before shooting: ID TARGET. A light makes this much easier.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Consider also that in a very dark room that laser will give away your position.
    I don't mind lasers, but I don't depend totally on them. My snubbie has one, and what I object to is that particular CT grip has no on/off switch. When I practice at the range, I'll often cover the laser with a piece of masking tape. I don't mind using it in certain situations, but I don't train with it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    I think I'm with Rugergirl on this one. I really do believe in the KISS principal, (which is also why I like Glocks & revolvers). The less moving parts on any solution, the better. I do keep a flashlight next to my G19 for noctournal adventures, in case I do need it.

This is just my 'gut' feeling though. I'd love to hear some really convincing logic, otherwise?

i would agree with what most people have said here.
    1) dont rely on a laser for anything
    2) id your target
    ALWAYS have a flashlight handy. it belong on the night stand near your gun. Make sure you dont only train with the laser. Personally, I have a flashlight, night sights, and a laser. A good laser you can see in the light just fine, and can be very useful in emergency situations where you dont have time to line up your sites (so its an assist to point shooting), or shooting around objects, etc.
    I train with my sites 90% of the time. If I am going to train with my laser on, it will be point shooting / quick close attack type senario.
    As far as the battary goes, its always possible for it to suddonly go dead for some reason, but most laser batteries with do this slowly, and you can see it starting to die well before its gone. (though of course still dont assume it will ever work)
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I suggest getting a Streamlight TLR-2. A light/laser combination that has a selector switch allowing you to choose light only, laser only, or both. You can find them around $200.

http://www.interamer.com/images/TLR2_diagram.gif
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    With all due respect SIXTO, if I were a BG with a gun and bad intentions, I'd shoot at a flashlight? My thought is to not draw attention to myself while I put a bead on the BG?
    A WML is not a flashlight, and should not be used like one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    +1 for the TLR2. I am no more accurate at the range with sight shooting with the laser, but when I try point shooting it is a definite plus.

what you want is a light, not a laser. A laser will do nothing to ID or illuminate your target.
    AMEN, Brother! In today's litigious society, you better darn well be sure of your target and it's background. I have a house full of small children, and when something goes bump in the night I want to know what I am targeting. That is why I don't use night sights either. the light I use is a surefire 6P LED, which will absolutely blind you if it lights you up in a dark room.

Besides, if you need a laser to hit a target 5 or 10 feet away from you with any firearm, you better rethink your gameplan.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A WML is not a flashlight, and should not be used like one.
    +1...my Glock has a WML (Surefire X200), on the nightstand. Next to that is a Surefire E1L. Search with the flashlight...ID your target with the WML. A laser is a tool like usmc3169 says but should not be something you are dependent on for sighting your gun. That being said if you are behind good cover and can still get that laser on the BG chest...it may be enough deterrent to not fire a shot and allow LE to arrive. IMHO
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links