"Shot Placement Is Key"

This is a discussion on "Shot Placement Is Key" within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some interesting reading. I think it was posted somewhere else on this board: The "Center Mass" Myth and Ending a Gunfight - Shoot Better! - ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Shot Placement Is Key"

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Some interesting reading. I think it was posted somewhere else on this board:

The "Center Mass" Myth and Ending a Gunfight - Shoot Better! - GunsAmerica Magazine & Forums
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

2. Remove Ads

JW,

I literally laughed out loud when he went to draw a fresh mag, exposing a second full size 1911 as worn in cavalry draw position.

As well I wonder why is it that he waited so long (roughly 7 Mississippi) to can for further threats when at best he's got three rounds left in his mag.
    Why not immediately (!) reload while also scanning as in the process. He's holding a low capacity firearm. If there had been a secondary threat he'd have found himself in a pinch with just two or three rounds remaining per the words of his own article.

Last item he scans by sweeping method as though the gun were a flashlight. Modern method is to scan with the head only moving, the gun to be recalled to a compressed high ready for defense against being taken...And to immediately move your person to an area of concealment if not cover.

No disrespect intended toward the author at all but that video has a number of demonstrated errors.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

people dont usaly stand still in a gun fight....

best thing is shoot fast, shoot accurately, shoot often... bullets are cheep

YouTube - Good guy 1, Bad guy 0, CCW in action unedited

this guy scored 3 for 3 in the chest.... the BG dropped on the other side of the door... but he still lived...

look how fast this was... look at the reaction times....

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    people dont usaly stand still in a gun fight....

best thing is shoot fast, shoot accurately, shoot often... bullets are cheep

YouTube - Good guy 1, Bad guy 0, CCW in action unedited

this guy scored 3 for 3 in the chest.... the BG dropped on the other side of the door... but he still lived...

look how fast this was... look at the reaction times....
    It was fast, for sure. I'm still trying to figure out if I would have shot at that time with the BABY GIRL almost in the line of fire. Damn, that was close! Not being there and hearing what was being said, etc., etc. I'm withholding judgment though. It was all good in the end. I'm glad it was'nt me...

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

I believe it was John Connor that said something to the effect of:

"Shoot them where they're biggest and keep shooting until they stop".

Works for me.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Putting two to the chest and one in the head is easy at the range but isn't so easy in real life.

The best I can say is that if you are in a shooting, keep a level head and be aware of whats going on around you.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Center of mass, as many times as possible...
    For multiple dirtbags, remember the 'boarder house rules'...everyone gets a 'helping' before anyone gets 'seconds'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Everyone says it, so where exactly are you supposed to aim if someone does break in?

I've heard 2 to the chest (both nipples) and one to the throat.

I always thought the head would be the obvious go for...
    I think what you are talking about both nipples is. If you draw a quizi square from the nipples up to the throat which covers the heart and lungs. This is one of the places to shoot that is taught in the tactical anatomy classes that Tactical both Law Enforcement and Military special ops units take. The other two is locations at the head which will allow the distruction of the brain stem, and the hip area. I know the hips sounds weird to some people however, shattering the hip bone and pelvis will stop an aggresser in his tracks. If the BG has a gun, he will still have the ability to use a pistol, but in a knife fight or someone with a blunt object, it will likely stop him cold. They will also likely bleed out from the severing the veins that supply blood to the legs. Most peoples best bet is jus to shoot for the upper part of the chest and keep shooting until he stops being aggressive.

Personally I hope I would have my mossberge 500 ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

The shot placement question is why I prefer a 12 gauge pump loaded with #2 buck. At 10-20'--inside the home range--the load would spread only slightly, ensuring MASSIVE tissue damage/blood loss. And with multiple bad guys, there can be no greater deterrent and cause to leave the house than the sound of a shotgun going off and then being racked again for a second shot. Hopefully I'll never have to put it to the test.

Yes, shot placement is manditory and the Center of Mass is always the best case... but can you do it under stress?

Standing still, on a range, in front of a non-moving and non-threatning target and doing a "Mozambique Drill" is pretty easy to do for most..... but put that target on a "swinger" or on a "popper" and see how many rounds you can get in the "A" squares on a USPSA target!... then start adding simple variables:
    • Standing still, holster the weapon and set a timer for 3 seconds, draw and fire your three rounds before the timer beeps... (Start with 5 seconds)
    • then do it while retreating...
    • do it while moving perpindicular to the target as you would be crossing a hallway in your house...
    • do as many pushups as you can in 30 seconds, immediately stand up, draw and shoot...
    • My favorite - Get a bucket of Ice and water, soak your hands up to your elbows for at least 15 seconds (I say 30 seconds), when your partner says go, pull your hands from the water, draw and aquire said target 3 rounds, do a tatical reload and fire 3 more rounds... see how long it takes, this will give you an small idea of how you lose fine motor skills in an emergency situation...

Just by adding small variables to your practice routine you will see how hitting center mass via the "mozambique drill" the target becomes A LOT more difficult to place your rounds... Just keep in mind that its a non threatining target! How will your body react in a life threatening emergency...

Practice for real life! Going to a range and just putting rounds down range doesn't accomplish that! but that's just my opinion!
    "Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links