"Shot Placement Is Key"

This is a discussion on "Shot Placement Is Key" within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Everyone says it, so where exactly are you supposed to aim if someone does break in? I've heard 2 to the chest (both nipples) and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Shot Placement Is Key"

Ox [OP]

"Shot Placement Is Key"

Everyone says it, so where exactly are you supposed to aim if someone does break in?

I've heard 2 to the chest (both nipples) and one to the throat.

I always thought the head would be the obvious go for...
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Center mass is what I've always been taught. Head shots are unreliable (imagine trying to draw a bead on a BG's head as he's broken in your doorway in the middle of the night. You've been woken up, you're scared, lighting is low and he's rushing twoards you).

Aim center mass and fire until the BG stops doing whatever it was that caused you to fire in the first place.

Just MHO

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Remember as well COM is not always the center of the chest, but the center of the largest area presented to you.
    Ideally the shot that severs the spinal cord is the one that will stop your attacker the fastest.
    I train for two in the chest, one to the head, if the threat hasn't stopped, two more in the chest, and the next to the little hollow at the base of the throat if I have a shot at it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

the confusion here is that there are (1) places to shoot that are more likely to instantly stop them and (2) places to shoot that you are most likely to hit.
    When you are in a stressful situation and actually having to use your gun, you will not be accurate enough to hit a very specific spot (such as the spinal cord).
    When you need to shoot someone. You aim center of mass (as rugergirl said- not always chest, but benter of whatever you can see).
    A lot of people practice 2 in the chest followed by one in the head. But it can depend a lot on the situation. The head can be a very difficult thing to hit, especially when the person is moving.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Senior Moderator
    I practice to COM and keep firing until the threat is no longer a threat
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Everyone says it, so where exactly are you supposed to aim if someone does break in?

The quickest way to stop someone is to disrupt the Central Nervous System (CNS). You have to disrupt the brain, or disrupt the spine. The next quickest is to cause them to bleed out, rapidly, by compromising major blood vessels. Still, they will be conscious and able to reaction anywhere from seconds to minutes after you make such a hit.

I think you've confused some suggestions regarding a shot to each nipple and a shot to the throat. If you visualize a triangle between the hollow of the throat and both nipples, that triangle encompasses the top half of the heart, the superior vena cava where it joins the heart, the aortic arch where the aorta joins the heart, the esophagus and trachea, the bronchial branch, both lungs, the cluster of brachial arteries and veins for the arms, the jugular vein and carotid artery to the head, and the upper thoracic and cervical spine. Your chances of hitting something vital are much higher if you can manage to shoot within that triangle. Shots outside that triangle can be vital hits, too, but often take a relatively long time to incapacitate.

Center of mass is the largest area of the chest and abdomen presented to you. If you can't hit the vital triangle, then the center of mass is your next best choice. It's more important to get hits than not.

A head shot can be decisive, if it is well-placed; however, the truth is that head shots are almost impossible in a rapidly changing scenario with people moving and hiding and dodging and weaving. Much easier to hit the center of mass than make a head shot. Some head shots aren't vital, decisive shots, either. Bullets can enter the mouth and exit a cheek - extremely messy, looks bad, but actually does relatively little. Your shot could transect the sinus and never reach anything vital. If you can make a head shot under stress and actual fire, great! But most people who end up shooting find it quite a challenge to actually hit center of mass, they get that rattled.

JMO, of course.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I think that in a SD situation, a shot to the throat will be incredibly difficult to pull off. COM is the way to go when the chips are down. Personally I wouldn't stop at three shots, but YMMV.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Tom357, that was well stated. The only thing I can add is that the com area has been chosen by LE due to it's greater potential to stop AND in an intense situation such as a lethal force senario, the less you have to think about the better. Aim center, and press trigger. Rugergirl has good advise also, aim
    for center of what you see.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    The guy who came up with that phrase, known to me as Erich, an attorney who handles appeals in Arizona or New Mexico or some such place, originally said, "Shot placement is king; adequate penetration is queen; everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins."

That guy knows how to shoot. He knows how to put the bullet where he wants it to go, and can do so reliably. So he's a one-shot-to-the-head kind of person, I reckon. Your average law enforcment guy only shoots enough to be able qualify with his gun once a year or so. That thing about "two shots to the center of mass in the chest" is about getting people who can't shoot worth beans to increase their probability of hitting something lethal. If you don't practice enough to be able to put the bullet where you want it to go fairly precisely, then go with the LEO's mantra.

Here's a tip, though: most people shoot hoping they'll hit the target. You can optimize your chances by aiming at a specific point on the target. Your bullet may be off, but you'll be much more likely to be close than if your focus is on a huge piece of paper.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

In a real SD situation a center mass shot would be the best. There will be such a rush of adrenaline, shock and just nerves all happening in split seconds in confined spaces or maybe in a parking lot with lots of innocent bystanders at risk that trying to pick a small spot on the throat is dangerous. During the CQC training I attended we were trained to shoot holding the weapon close to body and most shots were less than 3 feet away.

Every situation is different and everyone has their opinion.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    That thing about "two shots to the center of mass in the chest" is about getting people who can't shoot worth beans to increase their probability of hitting something lethal. If you don't practice enough to be able to put the bullet where you want it to go fairly precisely, then go with the LEO's mantra.
    Spoken like someone who has never shot at something more mobile, agressive, and determined to do him harm than a piece of paper...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

Review this...

September 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
    DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum > Related Topics > Reference & "How To" Forum
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...dpa-style.html

It's a read so mentally prepare for it but the question you ask is not a one sentence do this and that's all you need to now item.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

OPFOR - your words are true and factual. Thanks for giving real world advice.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Agreed. ^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Spoken like someone who has never shot at something more mobile, agressive, and determined to do him harm than a piece of paper...
    Let alone something that is shooting back. The first time one whizzes past your head definately changes your point of view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links