Fake LEO invasions

This is a discussion on Fake LEO invasions within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As of late, there have been a lot of reports of home invasions, with the perps impersonating LEO. My question is directed to our LEO ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake LEO invasions

Fake LEO invasions

As of late, there have been a lot of reports of home invasions, with the perps impersonating LEO.

My question is directed to our LEO members:

What can homeowners do to guard against these types of invasions?

Are any LEO agencies acknowledging this as a dangerous trend and developing ways to combat it and educate the public?

I'm just wondering. It seems like this trend is not only dangerous to the homeowners, but also to LEO, as it greatly leads to a lack of trust.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

I'd suggest more closely upholding the 4th amendment and eliminating no-knock warrants and NSLs, but I'm just a concerned citizen, not an LEO.

As no LEO would have any reason to want entry to my home, I'd certainly NOT open the door to someone simply because he identified himself as a cop. Especially not at night. I'd tell them to have their watch commander call me on the phone. Then I'd call HIM back, just to make sure. I'd have one annoyed cop, if he were really genuine, but that's just too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by lifehertz View Post
    I'd suggest more closely upholding the 4th amendment and eliminating no-knock warrants and NSLs, but I'm just a concerned citizen, not an LEO.
    +1 these practices are supremely dangerous to citizens, cops, and the future freedom of the country as well.

I'm not a cop either, but I have noticed that from what I have read and known about local home invasions in the Gainesville area (yes, there have been about a six or more), they have all been drug related.

I'm not involved with drugs, I know that my neighbors 6 houses in any direction are not involved with drugs.
    That said, if the police are invading my home, there better be marked police cars and S.W.A.T. vehicles parked in the street and on the lawn, lots of flashing lights with dogs barking, loud speakers, and a film crew from the "Cops" TV show...or I'm assuming the protection for my home and my family.
    Whatever happens, happens...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not a cop either, but I have noticed that from what I have read and known about local home invasions in the Gainesville area (yes, there have been about a six or more), they have all been drug related.

I'm not involved with drugs, I know that my neighbors 6 houses in any direction are not involved with drugs.
    That said, if the police are invading my home, there better be marked police cars and S.W.A.T. vehicles parked in the street and on the lawn, lots of flashing lights with dogs barking, loud speakers, and a film crew from the "Cops" TV show...or I'm assuming the protection for my home and my family.
    Well said!

very scary indeed,

+1 on ret's comment...

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I recently watched an episode of COPS that was obviously a late-night rerun on cable. The department featured appeared to be a small agency in a southern state. Their drug unit was conducting "buy/bust" operations using an undercover officer. As I watched, a local doper drives up and purchases dope from the UC, then drives off. So far, so good. The arrest team moves in to stop the vehcle, block it off, and make the arrest. They are all in unmarked cars. Ok, now I'm getting a little concerned about their tactics. Always a good idea to have uniformed officers in marked vehicles close by to participate in the stops. It is when the plainclothes officers/deputies jump out of their cars to make the arrest that my mind gets completely blown. They are all wearing different variation blue jeans and t-shirts that say "police" somewhere on them. Three of the arresting officers are wearing masks! Two are black ski-masks and the third is wearing an old school hockey goalie mask! You know, like Jason from "Friday the 13th". No, I'm not joking. I could not believe that was actually happening...and being filmed for TV, no less.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Administrator
    I wear my clown mask.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    old school hockey goalie mask! You know, like Jason from "Friday the 13th". No, I'm not joking. I could not believe that was actually happening...and being filmed for TV, no less.
    Gonzo
    omg...that is amazing( in a bad way )..maybe he was watching the movie Heat before he did the bust.
    Last edited by Pepsi; March 29th, 2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: clarification

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I wear my clown mask.
    Dude...in my little world...clowns get shot first.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDPUPPYMAX View Post
    As no LEO would have any reason to want entry to my home, I'd certainly NOT open the door to someone simply because he identified himself as a cop. Especially not at night. I'd tell them to have their watch commander call me on the phone. Then I'd call HIM back, just to make sure. I'd have one annoyed cop, if he were really genuine, but that's just too bad.
    That is the smart thing to do.

If the door gets kicked in hope the flash bangs don't distract ya before you start blasting, if you have done nothing illegal you are safe to think it is an impersonator that kicked the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    That is the smart thing to do.

If the door gets kicked in hope the flash bangs don't distract ya before you start blasting, if you have done nothing illegal you are safe to think it is an impersonator that kicked the door.
    Consider this:

Police have the wrong address. They "no-knock" your home, busting in, without uniforms, with unmarked cars outside. You, having done nothing illegal, think that they are thieves impersonating police officers, and defend yourself and your family accordingly, killing two and wounding one before finally learning that they really ARE cops and surrendering.

You now find yourself on trial for the murder of two police officers.

Care to speculate how that will turn out? I don't mean how it SHOULD, based on the Constitution, since that's just a piece of irrelevant scrap paper anyways - how it WILL, with the current court system and the juries we tend to get anymore.

Of course, let's not even consider what happens in the immediate aftermath...

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Consider this:

Police have the wrong address. They "no-knock" your home, busting in, without uniforms, with unmarked cars outside. You, having done nothing illegal, think that they are thieves impersonating police officers, and defend yourself and your family accordingly, killing two and wounding one before finally learning that they really ARE cops and surrendering.

Care to speculate how that will turn out? I don't mean how it SHOULD, based on the Constitution, since that's just a piece of irrelevant scrap paper anyways - how it WILL, with the current court system and the juries we tend to get anymore.

First of all if you have reinforced your entry it could give you just enough time to shoot as many of the criminals coming in without knocking. This has happened too many times IMO in my area & it usually ends in the innocent victims of the police being Dead, Injured or charged with some kind of made up crime to bully them into a settlement.

One particular case involved a wrong address & a soldier on leave that was just defending his self. He actually never shot at the intruders (Police) but he was charged with a trumped up charge to silence him.

Here is my take though if anyone approaches my door I will know before they get there & I will defend my self when they try to come in without me letting them in. I like many here usually have my gun close by in my house.

I also wont just open my door if someone says they are the Police since I know I haven't done anything wrong to have them at my door. Luckily my local Police Dept doesn't have a record of doing things like this.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Consider this:

Why lay down and continue to allow them to screw up. I don't really care how things turn out. I will defend my family from unwanted intruders as should everybody.

They start yelling cops and you drop your gun and it turns out to be hood rat impersonators, you lose everything they want to take, your wife gets raped in front of you and your kids. No thanks, I will defend against unwanted intruders all day, to the best of my ability.

If they are real cops, you go on trial for standing up to home invaders (which in my state are fair game) and then restart your life, because they will have stripped every nickle you have ever though of earning, but you are at least alive and safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links