put in a really uncomfortable situation..... - Page 4

put in a really uncomfortable situation.....

This is a discussion on put in a really uncomfortable situation..... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by svgheartland 20 guage Remington 870. Different models bring different price tags. They all shoot the same so don't blow your budget. 20 ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: put in a really uncomfortable situation.....

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    20 guage Remington 870. Different models bring different price tags. They all shoot the same so don't blow your budget. 20 guage is very managable and still very effective.

GET SOME TRAINING IMMEDIATELY. This is a very serious business. Real life not the wild wild west, etc.
    My wife loves hers. Although it is a mossberg Bantam. Easier for her to use with the smaller LOP as well as a shortened reach for the pump and trigger.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Clearly I do not know your financial position, but has the less lethal options like taser, pepper spray, or even less lethal munitions been considered even in the short term? Again, this may be easier to use on someone you had/have feelings for. Training takes time, and a short term/bridge solution may be needed until you get your ccw. Fox labs makes small fire extinguisher sized pepper spray and personal sized versions.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    There's a few good reasons to have one.

1)Deterrence. Have a sign in the windows that says it's there. I think a good number of BG's will just go to the next house that doesn't have one.

2)When no one is home. Alarm sounds, BG's run. Even if they take something as they leave, I don't think they're going to stick around, regardless of how long it takes for the police to come.

3)Smoke/heat detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Most systems should come with a few. These are great, especially when no one is home.

They're a tool, but not the end-all-be-all. Don't depend on them to save your life, but they can be useful.
    You missed the most important reason. It gives me precious seconds of time to get ready when I'm at home. It reduces the attacker's element of surprise.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I wholeheartedly recommend all of the endorsements for changing locks, getting training, talking to the gf's parole officer. Basically, get a papertrail going. You and your husband have to protect your family....get the who, what, when, where in regards to threats....document them. Hopefully, he will get over himself...and move on. If he continues to be a pest--he's become an increased threat (same for the gf).

At the same time, getting a shotgun and CCW are good ideas...but they are just tools...NOT a talisman for safety (i.e. nothing will happen if you carry it). Getting training--also a great idea--they will teach you how to use the tools. But ultimately it takes MINDSET to defend yourself and pull the trigger on someone who has manipulated you (and your family) to believe he was a friend.

If push comes to shove--can you imagine yourself pulling the trigger on this guy? What about the GF? The reason I say this is because most people will say "yes I can"...but don't really think long and hard about it, and when confronted, hesitate. I've seen this happen to a few people in Iraq and Afghanistan, despite the training.

Just something more to think about....

You can get all the guns you want, and all the training you can....but they won't work if your mind doesn't tell your body to act...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

If push comes to shove--can you imagine yourself pulling the trigger on this guy? What about the GF? The reason I say this is because most people will say "yes I can"...but don't really think long and hard about it, and when confronted, hesitate. I've seen this happen to a few people in Iraq and Afghanistan, despite the training.

Just something more to think about....

You can get all the guns you want, and all the training you can....but they won't work if your mind doesn't tell your body to act...
    I did think about that a lot....and if it was him or myself or the kids, even the husband, he is nothing. As for the girlfriend.....i have no doubt in my mind. I have viewed her as a predator from the first time i heard about her. I was talking to Bark'n in a private message and that was brought up.

My biological father was killed when i was a child, and i always swore i could never kill someones father. But now with the feeling of the threat, my mindset has changed to if that "father" is dumb enough to break into my home or try to hurt me or the kids, he doesn't deserve to live. I don't care who it is, my kids and myself are first and foremost in my life, and i will do whatever it takes to make them safe from anything.

And when i my llama the other day, i was nervous about actually shooting it.......i didn't know how i would feel about squeezing the trigger. to my surprise it was a very liberating type feeling. I felt safe. That was the first time in a LONG time that i felt that way.

Hi Tanya, Cant really add to what has been said. You have received some very good advice. I have found that the people on this forum are very knowledgable and friendly. It really is the best personal/home defense forum on the web. I have been very fortunate to have found it. Im curious to know what firearm you decided to go with. I hope you never have to use it, but atleast you have it. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Welcome to the forums!
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
    Hi Tanya, Cant really add to what has been said. You have received some very good advice. I have found that the people on this forum are very knowledgable and friendly. It really is the best personal/home defense forum on the web. I have been very fortunate to have found it. Im curious to know what firearm you decided to go with. I hope you never have to use it, but atleast you have it. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Welcome to the forums!
    .380 LLama

And you are right about this forum.....i love it....

Administrator
    OK. Members have all sorts of reasons for being off of the forum for a few days. We having just come off a holiday weekend & some folks travel...comes to mind.
    I deleted all of the off topic and accusatory posts & I'll just close this thread now since all of the worthwhile advice has already been offered.

This thread is now closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links