need ideas to protect keys

This is a discussion on need ideas to protect keys within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; as the area has gone down hill and break ins are on the rise i have been looking at ways to secure my home. i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

as the area has gone down hill and break ins are on the rise i have been looking at ways to secure my home. i added bright motion lights in the backyard, new doors and windows. i already have a large dog. so i walk around the house trying to think like a burglar, i started looking at the spare keys we have. extra keys for the cars, all with a house key on the ring, extra garage door openers and other various keys that would be a huge inconvenience if stolen. so what can be done to secure the keys. i am looking for a lockable box that the keys can hang in neatly and that can be secured somewhere in the house. i need some ideas.

I'd put 'extra' keys or garage door openers in the safe with the weapons. As far as our keys we use, they are out of sight while we are home.
    I also have key locks on the insides of doors...if you come in through a window you're not walking out a door. If I happen to be home at the time, you won't be walking anywhere...I'm just sayin'
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i thought about putting extra keys in the safe, but thats kinda of a pain in the you know what. even if i did that, when we go out we take my truck most often and leave my wifes car at home and she never takes her keys. so i am looking for a convenient way to lock up keys. i was thinking a lockable box secured to the inside of a kitchen cabinent or something like that. we enter the house throught the kitchen and as a habit always leave our keys on the counter or microwave. so when we go out, wifes keys are just laying there asking to be stolen. so i am lookig to see what others recommend to keep keys safe yet handy at the same time. i have found some key lock boxes that are for holding 30 keys and are more designed for car lots or something of that nature, so they arent the best looking boxes either. i have a bit of ocd, so keys just thrown in a small lock box and having to dig through a pile of keys to get the one i want will drive me nuts.

AzB
    I just hide mine in a place that's convenient, but anyone entering the house would never think to look.

If you use a lock box, don't just hang it on the wall in plain view. Most of them are easily broken open.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Originally posted by retsupt99 I also have key locks on the insides of doors...if you come in through a window you're not walking out a door.
    Let's hope you remember to grab your keys in the event of fire

These are extra keys? My extra keys are in my main weapon safe.

Put a lock on a kitchen drawer and keep your extra keys in. Easily installed.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Google is your friend.... try looking here.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    When in bed at night, those keys should be in easy reach. In the event of a problem, you can always remotely activate your car alarm to draw attention if needed. My keys and cell phone are within arms reach at night, always.
    When the keys are left at home, a safe, or a drawer with a false bottom is a handy storage place.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    On my double-keyed, dead-bolted doors, there is a key near each door but out of reach of anyone breaking the glass lites around the doors. Family member and overnight guests are instructed as to the location of the keys... it's a "hidden in plain sight" thing.

That was already my standard operating system, but the death of an elderly friend (due to smoke inhalation) next to a locked, double-keyed door was a grim reminder.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    The keys stay in the inside locks when we are home...when we leave, the keys disappear.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree, put them in the safe. That is why you have a safe, to keep items that you do not want to fall in the wrong hands safe.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I just hide mine in a place that's convenient, but anyone entering the house would never think to look.

If you use a lock box, don't just hang it on the wall in plain view. Most of them are easily broken open.
    +1
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Simple solution:

Keys not directly under my, or my wife's direct control are in the safe.
    str1

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    i thought about putting extra keys in the safe, but thats kinda of a pain in the you know what. even if i did that, when we go out we take my truck most often and leave my wifes car at home and she never takes her keys. so i am looking for a convenient way to lock up keys. i was thinking a lockable box secured to the inside of a kitchen cabinent or something like that. we enter the house throught the kitchen and as a habit always leave our keys on the counter or microwave. so when we go out, wifes keys are just laying there asking to be stolen. so i am lookig to see what others recommend to keep keys safe yet handy at the same time. i have found some key lock boxes that are for holding 30 keys and are more designed for car lots or something of that nature, so they arent the best looking boxes either. i have a bit of ocd, so keys just thrown in a small lock box and having to dig through a pile of keys to get the one i want will drive me nuts.
    I thnk that you need to make a choice--you can have safe, or you can have handy...but probably not both.

Dunno, perhaps a small safe bolted inside a kitchen cabinet, maybe might be the best of both worlds. Something that won't stop a truly determined thief, but will deter a smash & grab robbery.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links