I think my house and or wife has been targeted.

This is a discussion on I think my house and or wife has been targeted. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; good suggestions for you here already, this guy or whoever left the scanner were definitely up to no good we have encounters with folks that ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think my house and or wife has been targeted.

VIP Member
    good suggestions for you here already, this guy or whoever left the scanner were definitely up to no good

we have encounters with folks that say their "stalker" or other suspect has a scanner and they know when we get dispatched
    in those cases dispatch will only send us the call on the computer

good call on the dogs in the house, the firearms in the house, now get your wife some training too
    definitely get the cameras/sensors
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

+1 on the dogs and adding a cam or two , anything to slow the perps down and make u less of a target is a good idea.
    +1 on training your wife
    this picture says 1,000 words

Trip wires don't have to be lethal or even damage inducing. They can be noise makers or light producers. Anything to draw attention to a specific spot. That alerts you as to the weak areas than need to be targeted for more upgrades.

Game cameras are a great idea. I would walk your property around the perimeter and look for areas that have easy access and or low levels of light. Those are the places t put the game cameras and perhaps noise makers. You might also consider posting your land with no trespassing signs and if required by local law, registering the posts at the courthouse. That could lend you a level of security for actions that can be taken if you discover an intruder.

Then there is stuff like this you can pick up at HOME DEPOT: Lorex Simplified Home System Quad Surveillance System with 4 CCD Indoor/Outdoor Cameras - SHS-4QM2 at The Home Depot

And THIS: http://www.espysecurity.com/infrared-camera-pg.htm

And finally, I got this off a survivalist blog and it might prove very useful:

Letter Re: Photocell and Seismic Intrusion Detection Systems (SAs: Retreat Security, Intrusion Detection)

Q:
    Could you tell us more about a seismic intrusion detection system? Until your recent comments on this being necessary for the security of a hidden retreat, I had never even heard of such a thing. There must be more novices like me who are soaking up like a sponge everything you write, and would be very interested in knowing more. Thank you, - Joe.

JWR Replies: I cannot over-emphasize the need for a proper intrusion detection system for a retreat. The simplest are the photocell "driveway alarms" which are commonly used on farms and ranches in the west. Most folks buy them just to have advance waning on when the UPS truck is approaching with a delivery. But they would also have some utility in a slow-slide scenario. If looters are stupid enough to come right up your driveway in the middle of the night, such a system will tip you off and give you enough warning to man a defense. Unfortunately most of these are dependent on 117 VAC power. You can often find these on eBay. Just be sure to get sturdy "Commercial" style system if you want it to last. (The $20 cheapo made in China systems are not designed to last.) You can expect to pay $50 to $150 for one of the good reliable ones.

Far more sophisticated systems have been used my the U.S. military since the 1960s. These used buried seismic probes to detect approaching vehicles, the footfalls of approaching troops, and even the vibrations from low flying helicopters. These are battery operated, and designed for tactical field use in all weather. The early type are hard-wired (typically with commo wire.) The later ones are wireless, but require more batteries, since a small radio transmitter is mated to each seismic sensor. Once you get used to using one of these, you can learn to easily differentiate between the footfalls of a man and a deer. I'm not kidding.

The "old reliable" is the hard-wired AN/PSR-1A. It was still used by USMC active duty units up until a few years ago. In fact, a few might still be lingering around USMC reserve units. They use six D-cell batteries, or can easily be adapted to any other 9 VDC source. They use 1950s technology (EMP proof) and are a bit heavy for man-pack use. The 1950s-style headphone supplied with these are a joke, but very simple to replace with a modern pair of headphones. Just make sure that the new ones have correctly matching impedance. Otherwise, I have no complaints about these units. They work fine for a fixed-site retreat. OBTW, SurvivalBlog readers Kitiara and John at the Forevervain Blog mentioned that they recently obtained one of these sets through eBay. Good choice!

OBTW, if you are an electronics wizard, Al Glanze at STANO Components ( http://www.stano.night-vision.com/html/specials.html ) has several hundred spare PSR-1A seismic probes available. They are very rugged. If you were to mate some of these with a modern chassis (the PSR-1A circuit diagram is pretty simple) with a DSP chip that could trigger an audible alarm, you could build yourself a fantastic retreat security system.

One of the best recent-production U.S. military systems is the AN/TRC-3A Wireless Seismic Intrusion Detection Set. This model will work well for both fixed site retreats and mobile (patrolling bivouac site) use. These are often in stock with a number of vendors including Ready Made Resources (one of our advertisers) and Fair Radio Sales. Both of these companies are very reputable. They can also be found on eBay, buy beware that eBay sellers are notorious for selling nonfunctional used electronic gear.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; April 25th, 2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: add content add italics to signify it's not mine
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    WoW,
    this hits close to home for me, as we are on a dead end rd. wife works sometimes ,and daughters and small son home at times.
    You ,IMHO don't need more dogs if you have two belgians already. They are more alert and agressive than german shepards.
    +1 on the wife carrying at home, and I support hopyards Idea on the security cameras, working or not,And the one from hotguns on the trail cams.
    I was also thinking about a gizmo they sell that operates and sends a warning alarm when a vehicle comes down your drive ,or in our case , the dead end road.
    Good luck , be safe

Can anyone tell me what a benefit of a doubt is really worth?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Game cameras are a great idea. I would walk your property around the perimeter and look for areas that have easy access and or low levels of light. Those are the places t put the game cameras and perhaps noise makers. You might also consider posting your land with no trespassing signs and if required by local law, registering the posts at the courthouse. That could lend you a level of security for actions that can be taken if you discover an intruder.

Then there is stuff like this you can pick up at HOME DEPOT: Lorex Simplified Home System Quad Surveillance System with 4 CCD Indoor/Outdoor Cameras - SHS-4QM2 at The Home Depot

And THIS: Infrared Surveillance Camera - Outdoor Security Cameras - Night Vision Cameras

And finally, I got this off a survivalist blog and it might prove very useful:

[I]Letter Re: Photocell and Seismic Intrusion Detection Systems (SAs: Retreat Security, Intrusion Detection)
    Great input that Lorex system is about half what we paid for a wireless version with wi fi internet. If wired will work for you that is a great option. Lorex makes a good quality product. With the cameras consider setting up some that can be seen and hide the others. We have hidden cameras focused on the visible cameras so we can see if someone tries to disable one.

Good info on the Seismic Intrusion Detection Systems I need to learn more about that. Never even considered that option before. Maybe replace some of my motion sensors. Right now all they do is trip a buzzer to alert me and light up a colored LED that tells me what part of the woods they are in
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Can anyone tell me what a benefit of a doubt is really worth?
    A couple of seconds enough time to get the drop on them or escape
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Just a matter of time till that fool comes back. +1 on the dogs. I have 2 dogs that bark their ass off at everything. It pisses me off sometimes but in the end I know if i'm dead asleep and they hear the slightest things (which has happen to me) they go ape sh*t.

Update

In the last week there have been four different people arrested in our area for burglary. One of the houses that was robbed was about 3/4 of a mile further up my dead end road. From the reports that I have heard, there is an ongoing investigation with further arrest expected.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Time for some night maneuvers...

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    In the last week there have been four different people arrested in our area for burglary. One of the houses that was robbed was about 3/4 of a mile further up my dead end road. From the reports that I have heard, there is an ongoing investigation with further arrest expected.
    Sounds like a definite burglary ring operating in your area. Which raised my suspicions when you found the hand held scanner with police frequencies on your property.

I hope you had some time to beef up your security since your first post.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Keep the 870 at arms reach....

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Its good that she see's how serious that this is and she is taking the steps that she needs to take to be safe and not an easy target. It's scarry to think about but being prepared is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Sounds like a definite burglary ring operating in your area. Which raised my suspicions when you found the hand held scanner with police frequencies on your property.

I hope you had some time to beef up your security since your first post.
    Yep, we have things beefed up. Not as much as I would like but enough that anyone looking for an easy "job" will look elsewhere.

Seems like we have a real drug problem here. The Sheriff's office does a good job, but they are overstretched, poorly funded. From what I have heard the burglaries have all been easily hit targets. People looking for a quick way of scoring their next high.

Two more dirtbags were arrested in the area. They were pulled over during a "routine" traffic stop. They had big screen TV, a laptop and inconsistent stories. Looks like the local Sheriff's Department is on a roll!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links