vault / gun room / safe room questions - Page 2

vault / gun room / safe room questions

This is a discussion on vault / gun room / safe room questions within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rivers Apparently the magnesium alloy sheets are seriously difficult to cut or drill, guaranteed a real pain when not in an ideal ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Apparently the magnesium alloy sheets are seriously difficult to cut or drill, guaranteed a real pain when not in an ideal location to work with the material.
    Any concerns about what happens when the magnesium burns, or is this an alloy that won't burn like pure magnesium does?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    I don't have much basement experience, but if your house had a total fire, wouldn't quite a bit of the burn essentially fall down into the basement?

Consider covering your two new walls with two layers of firerock. Whatever you make the ceiling out of be sure it's strong and you could shield it with firerock as well. Use a good metal door and lock to secure the room. Buy a good safe and put it in the room, the room will act as a buffer to the fire while protecting your safe and buying you more time for fire protection. I've got some first-hand experience with fire and safes, I will be posting a thread about it in the future.

BTW the de-humidifier will either need to drain in a floor drain or collect in a container to be emptied by someone regularly.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    BTW the de-humidifier will either need to drain in a floor drain or collect in a container to be emptied by someone regularly.
    depends on the type of dehumidifier.

Some just heat the space to dry out any moisture. You would still need ventilation to accomplish the task.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Here ya go: Smith Security Vault Doors and Gun Safes .

I bought a safe from Doug Smith, the owner. He lives about 2 miles from me. He's well known throughout the US. Does outstanding work.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

If you use block for the walls, make sure you paint the floor and walls with Drylock to seal out moisture.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Outer wall if block construction is a weak point. No concrete ceiling is another. Just for starters. If inner wall is block, it most be back filled with rebar and concrete.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

yea, after looking into it some more i changed my mind some.
    Doing a real fireresistant vault/safe is just way too much money. I think instead I will go with a general 'strong room'. Probably plywood and metal. No block, no fireproofing, and then just get a small fireproof box for the papers.
    May upgrade later but for now the pricetag on a real vault is just too high
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Any concerns about what happens when the magnesium burns, or is this an alloy that won't burn like pure magnesium does?
    The alloy won't burn. By the time it might melt, whatever was inside has been reduced to ashes. If you have any questions, talk to someone who has hands-on experience working with these alloys. Most machine shops would know what this material is like.

Bullet resistant panels

For those interested in bullet resistant paneling for "safe-rooms" you might check out Bullet Resistant Fiberglass, Bullet Proof Armor Panels - ArmorCore® UL752 Listed (866-688-3088 and Bullet Resistant Panels and Bullet Proof Panels - Bullet Resistant Fiberglass Panels (888-521-8666)

I've considered lining a walk-in closet with some of this stuff. Doors are available too I think, have not checked that yet though.

Respectfully,
    Kyle
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links