Alright. Im looking into puting a gun room thingy in my basement.
in general what im looking for is something not tooo expensive, something that will keep out a bad guy with a sledge hammer for 20 mins till the cops show up (i do plan on him tripping my alarm system, im not trying to protect my stuff from the best professional robber ever). I certainly want it to be fireproof.
- what should I do for walls? 2 of the walls will already be the basement block, need to build 2 more. I dont think I am going to be pouring any concrete. Im thinking block with maybe an additional layer of something for extra reinforcement and fire proofing (steel plate, etc).
- what about a door? I can find vault doors online for 2k to 15k... anything a smidge cheaper? Anyone know where I can find a used vault door? A place my builder can get one for cheaper?
- plan on putting in some ventilation / dehumidifier. any comments on that aspect of it?
- the hardest part: what about the ceiling? The house is currently being built, already got prewiring, about to do sheetrock. I have no idea what to do for the ceiling for fireproofing and such. I'm not all that worried about the robber going through my floors from the upstairs to get to the vault, but obviously need some protection. More worried about the fire aspect / house crumbling down around it aspect.
- Though I can't really see me using a safe room, I'll go ahead and make it that as well. communication device, obviously some food and water, its a gun room.. so guns. any other considerations here?
- what would u expect the cost to be for ~7x10' room with vault door having to build 2 of the 4 walls?
any pics of rooms y'all have would be awesome as well.