Reducing your risk with a vehicle travel bag.

This is a discussion on Reducing your risk with a vehicle travel bag. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got stuck on I 26 in SC during a freak heavy snow storm. My wife and I spent 4-5 hrs waiting to get off ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reducing your risk with a vehicle travel bag.

I got stuck on I 26 in SC during a freak heavy snow storm. My wife and I spent 4-5 hrs waiting to get off the interstate and onto some back roads. I was moving and had nearly everything I owned in 2 cars with me. Does that count? We did turn one car off and keep one running to save gas though. At least we would have one to drive out.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    but it sounds as if a cell phone charger would have saved you a lot of grief. I keep a spare charger tucked away in my car, and it never leaves that spot. (I typically don't use a car charger anyway)
    Yes it would have been great for her to have had a car charger with her. I didn't go into the details of her trip, but she was actually flying across country and had only packed a home cell charger that she'd normally use in her room at night. She had no original plans to drive, but her trip unexpectantly changed to a point where she needed a rental car, and that's what she was stuck in.

We do keep some chargers in our personal cars. For the travel bags I chose the hand crank chargers as an addition since it's self-contained, plus most come with a variety of adapter's to re-charge any brand of cell phone.
    Last edited by ppkheat; April 13th, 2010 at 02:05 AM. Reason: typo
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    A GPS might have been helpful in similar situations. (assuming you can get moving)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    Good ideas!

I put together a kit like this and called it my car earthquake kit. I added:

- comfortable shoes for walking
    - duct tape
    - bar of soap (the hotel kind)
    - toothbrush
    - space blanket
    - big black magic marker (to write a message on)
    - gum
    - little booze bottles (for trade)

How about extra ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I need to make sure I get stuck around you!!

That all sounds good. I also have a survival kit in a can. One of those little ones with fishing line and flint and a mirror I think, a few more items but I havent checked it out in a while. I have been adding to my kit as I think of things. I like these types of threads cause there is always something mentioned that you dont think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    We carry a large coffee can, with about 2 inches of sand in the bottom, and a roll of toilet paper inside. Also a small bottle of rubbing alcohol, to soak the TP.
    If you get caught in a winter storm, you can crack a window slightly, and have a source of heat.
    Variation on that idea, I use to do phone service in N. Iowa and after nearly getting stranded one time I put together a survival kit I kept in my van.

Take a large coffee can and a smaller coffee can (about the same height) put enough pea gravel in the large can so the smaller can's top is just a bit higher, fill with pea gravel to top of large can. Cut hole in the large can plastic top so smaller can just fits through, use large "plumber's" candles (can be obtained at outdoor shops) and you have a stable heat source that won't set things around it on fire and is hard to tip over. These candles put out heat without using much oxygen or producing much CO2. (not my original idea but it works, don't remember where I saw it) Outdoor stores also carry different styles of candle stoves but if room allows I like this one because it is more stable and protected for setting something on fire.

Also get several packs of those catalytic type hand & body warmers (in a cellophane envelope) that you just open and shake, most are good for at least 6 hours of warmth. A space blanket takes up no room and can be a real life saver, on a remote canoe trip in late fall on a spring feed stream my wife and I got overturned on an unseen rock, without the space blanked she would have been in real danger of hypothermia.

A 6 pack of bottled water will last a long time and can be indispensable. In Iowa snow was usually not in short supply so I carried an aluminium drinking glass I could fill with snow and melt over my candle stove.

For your wife, she may find one of these useful when traveling in general, not just for being stranded, my wife loves hers.....

Women can pee standing up with Go Girl | Go Girl Female Urination Device

+1 on the OP's car kit list, mine is much the same.
    Some other great ideas in this thread too, a few candles could come in real handy. My first aid kit is probably a little more extensive than most, since I have a little more training in that area. Don't forget several pairs of protective gloves! Cheap and pack small.
    Space blankets are great too, don't take up much room and have many uses.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

As others have mentioned, a hand crank radio and flashlight are great things to keep in the bag.

Also, a small hand hatchet in the truck would be very useful.

Has anyone found a hand crank device that can be used to charge iphones? Most of the ones I see state "does not support iphones"

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Good ideas!

I put together a kit like this and called it my car earthquake kit. I added:

Now that is a very good barter item I hadn't considered before!

Small and pretty durable container. Pretty light weight item with an extended shelf life and would be considered very valuable by a lot of folks in a EOTWAWKI situation.

May have to add some of those to my bartering kit!

Thanks for the idea cammo girl.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Extra ponchos (the kind you can buy for like a dollar that are folded up into a small square) and space blankets don't hurt. They take up little space and could be handy for passengers you didn't plan on, but are nonetheless in the car.

A pair of warm(er) socks, gloves and a watch cap are also not bad ideas.

I keep a bin with all my emergency stuff in the car 24/7.

VIP Member
    Is there an e-store where you can buy those little booze bottles?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Is there an e-store where you can buy those little booze bottles?
    It used to be you only got them on the airlines... but now days, most liquor stores have some at the counter. At least here in Missouri they do. Little bottles of bourbon, scotch, vodka, gin. Some are name brands like Jim Beam, Beefeater, etc.

I haven't ever looked at the exact size, but I would guess it's about an ounce or even a jigger, which is 1.5 oz. Enough to make one mixed drink.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Replace jumper cables with a jump box - no need to rely on someone else and if you decide to help another, you don't disable your own car in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by deadhawg View Post
    +1 on the OP's car kit list, mine is much the same.
    Some other great ideas in this thread too, a few candles could come in real handy. My first aid kit is probably a little more extensive than most, since I have a little more training in that area. Don't forget several pairs of protective gloves! Cheap and pack small.
    Space blankets are great too, don't take up much room and have many uses.
    What he said! I wanted to emphasize the nitrile gloves, especially since the OP mentioned a 'car crash kit'. Would be helpful to have some small, packaged alcohol wipes in there as well (think KFC style).
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links