Reducing your risk with a vehicle travel bag.

This is a discussion on Reducing your risk with a vehicle travel bag. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Several years back, my wife was driving alone leaving Dallas and got caught on the interstate in a giant sleet storm. An 18 wheeler ahead ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reducing your risk with a vehicle travel bag.

VIP Member

Reducing your risk with a vehicle travel bag.

Several years back, my wife was driving alone leaving Dallas and got caught on the interstate in a giant sleet storm. An 18 wheeler ahead of her turned over and blocked both eastbound lanes and the shoulders. She was stuck in traffic. It kept sleeting and shut down nearly everything. Night time came with no progress of moving the semi. Of course she stayed where she and others were stopped with no place to go. Pretty difficult to drive or walk, she noted a few tried to "escape" during the night and wound up sticking their cars in the interstate ditches. She along with the other travelers stayed all night in their cars. Of course my wife wasn't prepared for this, but happened to have a coke and snack in her purse. The bathroom situation was difficult and we won't discuss that here.

I talked to her a couple of times on her cell phone, but her battery went out about 8:30 that night. What a miserable night we both spent, and me not knowing exactly where she was or the status of her well-being. It was a very helpless feeling especially after I made some calls out there to find out the roads into the area were all shut down. Essentially, no visitors. She borrowed a cell phone in a neighboring car the next morning to report she was fine. Eventually she got to moving and made it home without further incidence.

This weekend I was re-newing our "travel bags" that we keep in our cars. These are not to be confused with a bug-out-bags. The travel bag, stays in the car all the time, and it contains items that would be helpful, convenient, and maybe very necessary for the unexpected incident one may encounter while away from home and on the road.

I have a cheap $10 black bag from WM, and it contains a:
    pancho and umbrella
    brown cotton gloves (great for changing a tire when you need to stay clean, or just wear if caught in the cold)
    kleenex (handy, cheap, uses no space)
    small first aid kit (great for blisters, minor stuff)
    hand cleaner (need to wash hands with no sink)
    jumper cables (stranded for a long time anywhere is asking for potential trouble)
    ele. tire air pump (same as jumper cables, plus it might prevent wife from having to change a tire)
    fire extinuisher
    toilet tissue
    windbreaker coat w/liner
    large bottle of water
    one MRE
    handcrank cell phone charger
    mapbook
    flashlight
    pencil/pen/paper pad
    small assortment of OTC meds
    disposable paper coveralls
    pair of cotton socks
    car wreck pack (zip lock bag with assortment of gauze/heavy bandages, etc)
    deck of playing cards
    money (change and a few bills)
    small hand towel (dry yourself a bit if drenched, etc)

As you can see there is a wide range of uses.....conveniences, boredom, roadside problems, weather, etc.

Some of my favorites is the cell phone charger, jumper cables, and tire air pump. These three helps us keep moving in our vehicle and I see that as a preventative in keeping a minor roadside problem from turning into something that causes us to be overly vulnerable.

Any other useful items?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Your list looks pretty good.

Blankets and hats. Where I live in the winter you need them. I always keep 2 surplus wool blankets, and 2 wool watch caps in the car for emergencies. This is in addition to the other essientials that are in the car.

VIP Member
    That looks like a good list of items. One question though. What was your thought behind the "disposable paper coveralls"? I don't bother with coveralls in my emergency kit, but I can see the need if in a suit or skirt. However, I would go with a simple pair of regular cotton coveralls. They may take up a little more space but they would be far more durable.

Also, I would add two or three MRE's if space allowed. If a calamity occurred that prevented me from getting home or to some other shelter, it may take more than a single meal (even the high-calorie MRE) to get through it. I should admit that I don't keep much food in my kit, just a few energy bars and some trail mix along with a couple bottles of water. I may rethink that now.

Thanks for the post!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Anyone who lives very far north of Okla City, knows to be prepared in the winter and to have certain items in their car. It's only Southerners who need to learn the hard way. LOL.

We carry a large coffee can, with about 2 inches of sand in the bottom, and a roll of toilet paper inside. Also a small bottle of rubbing alcohol, to soak the TP.
    If you get caught in a winter storm, you can crack a window slightly, and have a source of heat.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    One question though. What was your thought behind the "disposable paper coveralls"? I don't bother with coveralls in my emergency kit, but I can see the need if in a suit or skirt. However, I would go with a simple pair of regular cotton coveralls. They may take up a little more space but they would be far more durable.
    I happened to have a box of throwaways here and use them whenever I have to work in my shop on something really grimy oily/diesel. I put them in the travel bag because they were conveniently on-hand. Cotton would probably be better, and surely better in the cold.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    It's only Southerners who need to learn the hard way. LOL.

now, now LOL

Great ideas.

If you live anywhere will water will freeze overnight, add a candle stub or two and matches to the car bag. In the small volume of a car, a candle burning adds a surprising amount of heat without consuming much oxygen. Flip down the glove box lid and prop the candle up there with a few drops of wax.

When I lived in the snow belt, there were additional cold-weather items (boots, gloves, heavy socks, shovel... and more) that rode in the trunk 6+ months of the year. But keeping focused on staying with the vehicle and staying warm, I'll skip that for now.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    It's only Southerners who need to learn the hard way. LOL.

A Country Boy Can Survive
    Hank Williams Jr

The preacher man says its the end of time
    And the Mississippi River shes a goin dry
    The interest is up and the Stock Markets down
    And you only get mugged
    If you go down town

I live back in the woods, you see
    A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me
    I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive
    And a country boy can survive
    Country folks can survive

I can plow a field all day long
    I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn
    We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
    Aint too many things these ole boys cant do
    We grow good ole tomatoes and homemade wine

Because you cant starve us out
    And you cant makes us run
    Cause one-of- em old boys raisin ole shotgun
    And we say grace and we say Maam
    And if you aint into that we dont give a damn

We came from the West Virginia coalmines
    And the Rocky Mountains and the and the western skies
    And we can skin a buck; we can run a trot-line

I had a good friend in New York City
    He never called me by my name, just hillbilly
    My grandpa taught me how to live off the land
    And his taught him to be a businessman
    He used to send me pictures of the Broadway nights
    And Id send him some homemade wine

But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife
    For 43 dollars my friend lost his life
    Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
    And shoot him with my old 45
    Cause a country boy can survive

Cause you cant starve us out and you cant make us run
    Cause one-of- em old boys raisin ole shotgun
    And we say grace and we say Maam
    And if you aint into that we dont give a damn

Were from North California and south Alabam
    And little towns all around this land
    And we can skin a buck; we can run a trot-line

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Living in Texas warmer weather, but I carry a 24 hr bag of sorts,

It is a dig camera case well packed with:
    1 space blanket
    1 throwaway poncho
    1 box cutter or small sharp pocket knife
    1 multi tool
    1 short pencil
    1 small note book
    1 small tube super glue
    1 map compass
    1 whistle
    1 small lighter
    1 small one battery flashlight with extra 3a battery
    band aids, hand wipes, alcohol wipes, pain killer, and needle thread
    mixed coins and small bill
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Couple of large candles (heat and light), waterproof matches, BIC lighter

I would add a tire pluging kit and a can of flat sealer/inflater. In the summer I would want plenty of water and a can of bug repellant, and in cold weather a sleeping bag and candle in a can. A 12v cell phone charger would be nice also, and extra flashlights and batteries are always worth their weight in gold..
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Any other useful items?
    I have this in my bag etn American Red Cross Microlink FR160 Red. It is a Self-powered AM/FM/NOAA weather radio with flashlight, solar power and cell phone charger. The features include AM (520-1710 KHz) & FM (87-108MHz), NOAA weatherband all 7 channels, and a built-in 3 white LED light source. it is powered by solar cells or hand crank dynamo, both of which charge the internal Ni-MH battery and a cell phone with the USB cell phone charger (USB cable not included, bought a cheap dollar store cable, works great for charging). It also has a earphone jack for private listening. Replaces your flashlight and crank phone charger and adds a radio, with solar power. Can also be used on DC or AC power if you buy the adapter separately.

Instead of an electric air pump, I have a jumbo can of fix-a-flat.

I also have a 3-D cell Maglight and a 2-AA cell Maglight in all of my vehicles. Other than these differences my emergency kit is similar and I also have the BOB that I take with me in whatever I drive. I have one BOB to move around from vehicle to vehicle and an emergency kit for every vehicle.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Administrator
    Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but it sounds as if a cell phone charger would have saved you a lot of grief. I keep a spare charger tucked away in my car, and it never leaves that spot. (I typically don't use a car charger anyway)

That same scenario has happened to me a few times. The first time I was in my lifted 4x4 Nissan. A little mud and creative driving and I was one my way.
    The second time I was on my rice rocket somewhere east of Tacoma. I waited for hours and hours. It was rough. I eventually talked a LEO into letting me slip by in the emergency lane. I don't recommend trying that. Being in BDU's helped me out a little.

I've also been the LEO working the train derailment, plane crash or over turned semi. We get stuck out there along with all the other motorists. I carry a similar bag with me every shift just for such occasions. Don't forget sun screen, tylenol and an extra pair of socks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links