Medication Desperation - Page 2

Medication Desperation

This is a discussion on Medication Desperation within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Should antibiotics be stored refrigerated for long term?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medication Desperation

Administrator
    Should antibiotics be stored refrigerated for long term?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Most antibiotics and drugs can be preserved by refrigeration, so long as they are kept dry. Keeping them dry is key, most common pill antibiotics have a shelf life of around 4 years if the are stored in a cool dry dark place.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Very good post and interesting question.

I for one try to stockpile antibiotics
    Smart man.... Essential if SHTF!
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Store meds at room temperature unless the need to refrigerate is stated on the label..... That is how they were designed to be stored.

bosco

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    As a 77 year old, I'm on 9 different medications. Being a military retiree we get prescriptions for 90 days on maintenance medications along with 3 refills. We get ours thru Express Scripts and they will automatically ship the refills.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Administrator

Thumbs up That's good to know.

And I know (for an absolute fact) that you are qualified to give a correct answer to that question.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Most antibiotics and drugs can be preserved by refrigeration, so long as they are kept dry. Keeping them dry is key, most common pill antibiotics have a shelf life of around 4 years if the are stored in a cool dry dark place.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I recently updated the contract I have for medical supplies, and while reading it over, noticed a section devoted to supplying during local and national emergencies.

It said that all I had to do was let them know about the emergency 10 days in advance, and they would be glad to send out a weeks supply second day delivery.

I laughed when I saw that. It's so incredibly absurd.

I found a loophole in the system several years ago and have a months supply stashed that I rotate when each months shipment arrives. There's also a "plan b" that's not ideal but might keep me around a little longer in case the emergency lasts more than a month, or I'm somehow separated from my supplies.

I learned long ago that the only one that's going to watch out for my welfare is me.

Just do me a favor and pass along the information about emergencies when you get it 10 days in advance

After 4 heart attacks, I take an "array" of medications. Two of them are very important...to the point that 2 missed doses (which is 24 hours) will see my heartbeat go up to the 90s and continue up from there. Fortunately, the expiration dates on these bottles tend to run 3-4 years from the time I receive them.

Between an assist from my doc and times when I am in the hospital, I have accumulated about a 14 month "backup supply" of these meds and am careful to rotate the supply by taking the oldest and putting the newest at the "back of the line". I also receive 90 Vicodin a month and only take maybe 20-30 so have a decent backup there.

Antibiotics seem the hardest to stockpile, since most doctors are very hesitant (for good reason) to "overprescribe" them...I have heard that some can be obtained without prescription via veterinary supply companies, but have not explored that as yet.

I store my extras the same way (and place) I store my ammo stockpile...in an (unidentified) very cool place with a couple of buckets of rice and a silica gel pouch in each bottle.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

VIP Member

re: QK Shooter-- storing antibiotics

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It depends. Look at the label on the package of course. Typically pill and tablets get stored at room temp. Liquids, refrigerate. But that isn't a totally reliable rule of thumb.

I am looking at a bottle of cefuroxime, which is sort of like a penicillin but slightly different. Same uses. There is no instruction to refrigerate. Same for 3 others I keep in the house.

Now, would these things stay potent in the desert sun? I don't know. I'd think they all need to be kept at something that resembles room temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Now, would these things stay potent in the desert sun? I don't know. I'd think they all need to be kept at something that resembles room temperature.
    The U.S. Pharmacopeia's definition of room temperature (20-25 C) or (68-77 F)

From my Bible for the last 40 years...

bosco

OP : good points for people to think about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links