Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

This is a discussion on Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mine is out of commission right now. He got into something in the backyard, maybe a skunk or a dead possum. He smells so bad ...

View Poll Results: Have you tested your four legged friend's defensive capabilities?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have tested my dog.

70 70.00%
  • No, I have not tested my dog.

30 30.00%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

VIP Member
    Mine is out of commission right now. He got into something in the backyard, maybe a skunk or a dead possum. He smells so bad I can't get within 10' of him much less let him in the house. He is going to get power washed when the storms are over here. Last time I checked though, he still worked.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

My dog goes nuts all day long whenever someone is outside the house or the door opens etc. It seems like once he is on the bedroom for the night though he shuts down. My wife gets home from work at 2 am pretty regularly and he never barks when she comes in. I find it unlikely he would bark at anyone else coming in either.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

My 1 y/o German shepherd rarely ever barks. There have been a few occasions where she has gone nuts in the middle of the night. I grabbed a pistol and investigated and found nothing.

I have not tested her but, although I would not rely on her, Id like to think she would pass the test. By now I think she's met everyone I really talk to/hang out with.

Edit:
    As a side note I was messing with my dog one night. I opened the door to my man cave for a second, then closed it and got down on my hands and knees. I thought my dog was about to eat my face off as she got up and began growling and stuck her hair up. Once she saw it was me she was her happy self again.
    Last edited by iovnow; April 26th, 2010 at 07:02 AM.

I have two watch dogs. I expect them to bark (and they do)
    My aussie may very well bite a burgler, but thats not what he is there for.
    All I expect of him is a bark and a kiss on my nose when I get home.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member
    Our dog barks 'hello' and then tries to make friends.

Our home security is my responsibility, not his.

Our German Shepard "Jax" is a 2 yr. old male and the smartest GS we have ever owned. He has his GC, CD and is now in a Tracking Class headed for his TD title.

He distinguishes easily between friends and strangers and always sleeps with "One Eye Open".

I have a three year male English Bulldog. Not a brave bone in his body. But!
    My wife came into the bedroom in the dark, where me and my dog was sleeping and she said "he let out this real low menacing growl I have never heard from him." She retreated and yelled from the living room for me.
    I'm still laughing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hazard123 View Post
    I have a three year male English Bulldog. Not a brave bone in his body. But!
    My wife came into the bedroom in the dark, where me and my dog was sleeping and she said "he let out this real low menacing growl I have never heard from him." She retreated and yelled from the living room for me.
    I'm still laughing about it.
    And your wife? Was she amused as well?

My German Shepard would bark and growl until someone threw a ball then he would forget everything but the ball

VIP Member
    It's funny how much of the English language dogs understand;

Today I went into a neighbor's (other side of the neighborhood) (with his permission) fenced back yard to turn on his irrigation for him. I've never met the dog, and the neighbor forgot to mention it. However, just by calmly telling the dog that "it's okay", the dog went from General Quarters to "Oh - cool, I didn't realize that it's okay - wanna scratch me behind the ears as long as you're here?".

With my four legged security system the Fedx and UPS guys wait at the end on the driveway. I know when the mail gets delivered, and when someone jogs down the other side of the street. They have yet to miss someone approaching the house or getting to close to the car.

Anyone I have over gets told to NOT make any sudden movements toward my family. Well my brother didn't listen as I was trying to introduce the dogs to him, and tried to grab my son...my brother got a few holes in his hand and my dogs positioned themselves between my son and brother. To this day they do not like my brother.
    Not the way I would have liked to test things, but the dogs did their job.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

I forgot to add that durning the day our dog will sit and stare out the front window at the kids playing, joggers, or cars driving by. He hates anyone near the house. He'll let out the wierdest noise most of the time, cause he knows we hate it when he barks at the regular neighborhood kids.. He sounds like, "mrow mrow mrow mrow", with a deep growling undertone.. It's so odd. It just means he's displeased with the annoying preteen kids screaming their heads off outside.. I can't blame him.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Senior Moderator
    I have no doubt at all that the person out male Mal decides he has to protect my wife from is going to have a Bad Day™.

Both our Mals are quite happy to let us know when there is anything around, and we've learned the difference between their "what's out there?" bark / growl and their "go away - now" bark / growl.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    I fully expect my cats to watch someone stealing my stuff and not care
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Once upon a time I agreed to house sit for a friend who had two dogs. They gave me the key to the house, told me where to sleep, told me where the dog food was, but they forgot to introduce me to their two dogs. And I forgot to ask for that.

Both dogs were probably around 35-40 pounds and were not happy when I let myself in to the house the first time. They could have together taken me apart.

Seeing as I couldn't really back down from the agreement to house sit, I picked up a stick and using my most stern command voice backed the two dogs into the bedroom, where they got on the bed and cowered in fear.

The message, your dogs (and mine) might appear fierce but turn out quite cowardly when the chips are down.

I must add that after the initial encounter I fed them, and they gave me no trouble for the next 10 days with only one exception. I left a meal on a kitchen table, and when I turned around it was gone and both dogs were running away to hide.

It was a holiday, Christmas break and Christmas day. I had no food in the house and the stores in the town were all closed. (This was before the arrival of fast food at every gas station and 24/7 stores). I went hungry that night.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links