Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

This is a discussion on Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have 3 a German Shepherd, the baby, A Black lab/shepherd mix, avitar, and an english springer spaniel, 10yrs old. All of them even bark ...

View Poll Results: Have you tested your four legged friend's defensive capabilities?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have tested my dog.

70 70.00%
  • No, I have not tested my dog.

30 30.00%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    I have 3 a German Shepherd, the baby, A Black lab/shepherd mix, avitar, and an english springer spaniel, 10yrs old. All of them even bark at me when i walk thru the front door untill i tell them to quiet. I am fully confident that my dogs will alert or protect me in case of an emergency. As far as a lawsuit on mistaken identity....wont happen. My dogs will attack if im not homea nd you shouldnt be in my house without me and they will only attack in my home if im there if only i tell them to.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hothoog View Post
    1. Do you think your dog would protect you from an aggressive offender?

2. Do you think your dog would protect your property if your weren't home?

3. If so do you think the law suit liability in the case of a mistaken identity (dog bites someone who is not a bad guy) is worth it?
    I think paying or asking ANYONE to attempt to break in so as to leave you as the owner/occupant unexpected is EXTREMELY foolish. It just sets up far too many variables in the negative region... That aside, I'll still answer your questions.

1. Mine has been tested in reality. My dog has defended me with malice on my property from an aggressive offender to the point of pinning the bugger in his own vehicle during escape from said property. In short, the property is unfenced, dog is allowed to roam the yard within the boundary line free (with a remote collar for emergencies) while I'm outside. A drunk/drugged offender approached me aggressively inside the property boundaries much to my rather terse statements to stop otherwise. The dog had been milling around the other end of the yard(about an acre cut), but picked up on him quick and was on him like white on rice before he could get within 20 yards of me.

2. Doubtful. By it's nature Pitbulls tend to protect the owner/pack members to death but not property. She doesn't tend to bark much either unless there is a legitimate potential threat(then again I taught her to bark on command for treats so I suspect unless it's legit she doesn't have any incentive to bark outside of my commands). Although my neighbor has mentioned on a few occasions that when "salesmen" type folks show up on my doorstep while I'm away that he can hear my dog going ape in my house from inside his house(100yards away).

3. No because there is no mistaken identity. If you're in my home uninvited you're fair game as far as I and the dog are concerned. The dog knows anyone not invited in is as good as a free dog biscuit. If you've been invited in you're fine unless you become threatening(loud, aggressive, physical etc...) towards the pack members. Young, old, black, white, purple, big or little doesn't matter.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    One thing - don't come into my house until the wife or I put the dogs in the back yard. One German Shepard and one Siberian Husky. The Husky doesn't like anyone getting near the wife. I'm the one exception.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

my 2 english mastiffs are protective more of my wife than anything but in the back yard they are slightly to agressive ive had to put up hot wire fence becasue the oldest one kept braking fence post by charging the fence and slamming into it when people were in there back yards... The shepherd mix though guards the house my mother in law was at our house so we could get furniture delivered and he would not let her move for about 5 minutes untill she backed down and got on his level and still took awhile everytime she stepped forward he came forward becoming more agresive with each step so i have good faith in at least a scare tactic with a growling shepherd mix and about 400lb of mastiff jumping on the door frame looking down at you it makes me feel better (and its quite funny to see the pizza guys face when i open the door)

My Boxer would make a lot of intimidating noise, but would not attack an intruder. Well, unless they were harming my kids, who she is very protective of.
    She is for companionship, I have guns and an alarm for bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    One thing - don't come into my house until the wife or I put the dogs in the back yard. One German Shepard and one Siberian Husky. The Husky doesn't like anyone getting near the wife. I'm the one exception.
    I can believe that. I had a half-siberian husky half norwegian elkhound growing up for a good 15 years or so. The protective instincts of those two breeds is amazing. That dog was actually over protective. If you weren't introduced by my father, you couldn't get near me as a kid with the dog around. And growing up in Baltimore she saved our collective butts more than once(multiple break-ins and attempted attacks).

Although, if one of you happens to be that LEO in Brooklyn that got his duty pants rear end chewed out by not following the instructions on the gate sign while trying to determine who broke into our neighbors home...sorry That one gave a whole new meaning to "Here's your sign!"
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

OD*
    Our dog would protect whatever she happened to be sleeping on at the time.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I fully expect my cats to watch someone stealing my stuff and not care
    If my cat hears a noise outside at a door or window, she runs toward the source of the noise to check it out. So, I hooked a couple of motion sensors on the lamps downstairs. Now, whether I'm home or not, if she hears a noise, she runs downstairs and turns the lights on.

It's a cheap deterrent and I never come home to a dark house, because she turns the lights on when she hears my key in the door also.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    If my cat hears a noise outside at a door or window, she runs toward the source of the noise to check it out. So, I hooked a couple of motion sensors on the lamps downstairs. Now, whether I'm home or not, if she hears a noise, she runs downstairs and turns the lights on.

It's a cheap deterrent and I never come home to a dark house, because she turns the lights on when she hears my key in the door also.
    Awesome!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I have a yellow lab that passed the test with flying colors. We had a hot tub for sale and a guy stopped by to see it. He let him self in the back gate with out letting us know that he was there. My sweet lab put a couple bruised on his butt and ran him straight out of the yard. Since he wasn't invited into the yard and just let himself in i did not feel the least bit bad.

I also have a 10 lbs Rat Terrier and will attack anything that resembles food and hits the floor in the kitchen, other than that shes afraid of her own shadow but makes a ton of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Awesome!

Thanks. It makes her feel like she's earning her keep. She proudly reports that there have been no breakins since she has been on guard duty.

Of course, there were no breakins before I got her either, but she says I was just lucky.

I have the loudest pet alarm possible. A military macaw. He even knows the sound of peoples cars. Before my lady even turns down our street, he knows she's coming. If someone he doesn't know comes near the house he will sound off which in turn alerts every one with in a 2 block radius including my pack of beagles. They are not mean in the slightest, but are loud! What better than mobile air horns to warn you where a bg might be. Also with the beagles there is no hiding, they can smell anything out.

Our dog has a vicious bark. Thats about it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by hothoog View Post
    ...1. Do you think your dog would protect you from an aggressive offender?

2. Do you think your dog would protect your property if your weren't home?

3. If so do you think the law suit liability in the case of a mistaken identity (dog bites someone who is not a bad guy) is worth it?
    To start, I no longer have a dog, and have not for 10+ years. Will get one after my cat goes, I'm 1 pet at a time kind of guy.

1) Yes (maybe)

2) No (but you never know)

3) No

And I think your third point is the best. When it comes down to it, the priority for an alarm is to make you alert. I care less about the junk I have, insurance will cover most of it.

My life is the higher priority. From just sleeping to to focused on TV, a dog that barks is doing the job.

The rest has many variables, and training an attack dog is something higher end then my needs at home. I would like to think the dog would protect me a little, but I'm counting on the senses.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Yup. My dog will go bat **** crazy if you even set your drink on the table too hard. Nothing gets past him.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links