Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

This is a discussion on Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIGP250 Mine is out of commission right now. He got into something in the backyard, maybe a skunk or a dead possum. ...

View Poll Results: Have you tested your four legged friend's defensive capabilities?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have tested my dog.

70 70.00%
  • No, I have not tested my dog.

30 30.00%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Mine is out of commission right now. He got into something in the backyard, maybe a skunk or a dead possum. He smells so bad I can't get within 10' of him much less let him in the house. He is going to get power washed when the storms are over here. Last time I checked though, he still worked.
    Do it the easy way SIG, go to Atwoods or TSC or some other Farm Store or a Vet and get a bottle of Skunk Off and mix it 1/4 skunk off with 3/4 water in a spray bottle and spray them down.

We use it all the time on ourselves, trust me it reduces the smell immensely and on the dogs it will bring it down to a tolerable level if not eliminate it. If 1/4 and 3/4s doesn't work, go 1/2 and 1/2, just keep it away from their eyes no matter what it says.

It's easy and cheap and saves you a lot of time.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

2. Remove Ads

[YouTube - Chapo at work

I'll reluctantly post this video. This is Chapo at the beginning of his training when he was about a year old...he's 5 now and has turned out to be a very good dog. I said reluctantly because to trust any dog, even a properly protection trained dog as your only layer of protection is risky.

Yes he has been "tested" in several scenarios and passed with flying colors but, I wouldn't trust him or any dog as my only option...just one of several.

Also please don't read into this video too much. It's only a small piece of a lot of time and energy spent on training that requires the help of a lot of good people with good skills and experience. Thanks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Do it the easy way SIG, go to Atwoods or TSC or some other Farm Store or a Vet and get a bottle of Skunk Off and mix it 1/4 skunk off with 3/4 water in a spray bottle and spray them down.

We use it all the time on ourselves, trust me it reduces the smell immensely and on the dogs it will bring it down to a tolerable level if not eliminate it. If 1/4 and 3/4s doesn't work, go 1/2 and 1/2, just keep it away from their eyes no matter what it says.

It's easy and cheap and saves you a lot of time.
    Thanks, I may need to use it on my boots.
    We found out what the problem is. Chewy is my 130 lb. older male Malamute. He is from a champion blood line and has always been extremely healthy. Well, somehow his ear got infected. My niece, a vet's assistant thinks it is a fungus that is treatable. It smells just terrible, kind of moldy, kind of dead. He was sleeping on the kitchen floor but did not appear to be in pain. This is the time of year he sheds his entire coat at least a couple times. I thought it was just a really bad wet dog smell. I guess I was tracking the ear discharge on the floor where I walked. The smell does not go away. He is knocked out at the Vet today. While they are working on him, I get to delouse the house with Pine-sol and a strong sanitizer, gag.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I don't expect them to attack, but they will bark....OH yea, they will bark.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    If my cat hears a noise outside at a door or window, she runs toward the source of the noise to check it out. So, I hooked a couple of motion sensors on the lamps downstairs. Now, whether I'm home or not, if she hears a noise, she runs downstairs and turns the lights on.

It's a cheap deterrent and I never come home to a dark house, because she turns the lights on when she hears my key in the door also.
    Gaurd cat. That's a pretty ingenous idea.

VIP Member

Guard cat, not as goofy as it sounds

Quote Originally Posted by hothoog View Post
    That's not as goofy as it sounds. Once upon a time my nephew was sleeping in the basement of a house he shared with my sister. She was sleeping on the second floor.

Burglars got in and cleaned out the first floor.

The cat knew something was going on and went nuts, but my nephew ignored the cat, not realizing she was signaling trouble.

Maybe it was for the best that he did ignore the cat's alert, because he might have been hurt if he had gone upstairs.

Meanwhile my sister slept through the whole thing blissfully unaware.

Both are lucky that all the guys wanted was stuff.

My Guard Dog & Yes, tested.

Don't let her size and seemingly docile expression fool you.

This dog is mean, plain and simple. She has been tested multiple times. She has nearly bitten several people in defense of me and family She isn't friendly, hates anyone who just happens to be walking by our home. He hates the mailman, the kids next door, the neighbors across the alley just about everyone. She makes few exceptions. I'm her buddy, and she loves me dearly, and would give up her life for me at any time.

I pity the person attempting to break into our home and us not be there. They had better bring the dog plenty to eat (she's always hungry) or they just might be part of her next meal after she rips them apart.
    Attached Images
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Don't let her size and seemingly docile expression fool you.

This dog is mean, plain and simple. She has been tested multiple times. She has nearly bitten several people in defense of me and family She isn't friendly, hates anyone who just happens to be walking by our home. He hates the mailman, the kids next door, the neighbors across the alley just about everyone. She makes few exceptions.
    Ever haver her checked out for rabies? You know, just in case.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?
    Yes I have. Truth be known, he tests me more. He'll bark at the wind when the feeling's just right, and there's been a few times when I've actually thought about drawing on him if it would just shut him up. He's a deterrent alright, and most times he's a deterrent to my sleep. I don't depend on him, he depends on me. At least he keeps the cats in their place. I love my dog. LOL!

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    My dog is on duty 24/7/365

Say hello to the night monkey...

Quote Originally Posted by hothoog View Post
    I actually got the idea from a book. You know how security experts will tell you to put a couple of lights on timers if you aren't going to be at home. That's all well and good, but somebody that watches the house for a couple of days can figure out the pattern and realize it's just timers.

You can't predict a cat's pattern and they tend to be nocturnal anyway. She roams around downstairs checking out noises and lights are constantly going on and off. Since the bedrooms are upstairs, that doesn't present a problem as far as my sleeping.

I do have one more motion sensor switch on the staircase light though. It's set at an angle where the cat won't trip it.

Someone coming up the stairs will trip it though and the lights will silhouette them quite nicely in the doorway.

Since I rent, I can't make a lot of structural modifications. This is about the best plan I could come up with.

I have a GSD who thinks strangers are a "happy meal".

After a trip to Costo we backed our car into the driveway, instead of pulling in hood first and the GSD was at the fence in a "lineman" stance. growling until he found out it was us.

My GSD is 2 years old and weight 85 lbs. We put up a 6 ft "No Climb" fence around our 5 acres a couple of years ago. The previous owner had installed 4 ft fence around the 1 1/4 acres that surround the house.

It is a good thing because my GSD clears the 4 ft fence with ease. A short run, a jump and he is over it

I have had "protective dogs" all my life. I grew up with a Chow. I had a Collie ( think Lassie) when living on the farm that would bounce off the propane delivery truck door, if the driver tried to get out without someone being very close.
    He would also get between my grandmother and anyone who was visiting creating a barrier until she would tell him it was OK. He would back down but stayed alert.

When we moved from Missouri to Boulder City Nevada ,I aquired a GSD.

If I took you through the house and intro you to him it was alright. The next vist I had to repeat the intro Etc.

We went on a 3 day vacation and when we got back the local PD contacted us and asked if we wanted to fill out a burglary report.

It seems like 3 houses to the left of us had been broken into and 2 houses on the right side of us had been broken into. we were not.

They caught the burglar a couple of weeks later and was asking why he hadn't broken into our house. His response was.
    "what you think I am crazy, you go try out that dog" everyone chuckled over that response. I lost that GSD, he was 14 years old when he died and I cried.

A few months ago I had my 4 legged alarm system tested and it passed with flying colors! It was the night of my stepsons birthday party and he had a friend staying overnight, well my stepson went to bed and the friend decided to invite his friends over to have a few beers in our back yard! We found out strangers entering our home at 2:30 in the morning would wake everyone in the neighborhood! Our three alarms went into overdrive...our youngest 3year old shepard mix cornered the three intruders by the front door teeth beared and this low gutteral growl I have never heard out of his to this day, our border collie went and sat next to my sleeping son growling and our red heeler was running up and down the hallway barking wildly! I came out of the bedroom gun in hand, my wife dialing 911! I found the kids crying and yelling at the dogs, cops arrived lights and sirens, neighborhood lights ALL on! Kids went home, cops left, we went back to bed! The alarm works!!! test complete!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I
    I have had "protective dogs" all my life. I grew up with a Chow. I had a Collie ...
    He would also get between my grandmother and anyone who was visiting creating a barrier until she would tell him it was OK.
    That's so awesome! She must've had a special bond with your grandmother. It's always impressive to see dogs that are so protective of kids or older folks. It's like they know who requires protection.

We had a Chow that was probably the smartest dog I've ever known. Not in a how many tricks can you teach it kind of way, but in a almost human thought process and logic kind of way.

First off, she knew where she was if she had ever been there before, even just once, and even if it was a long time ago. She used to get excited every time I drove down the road where the house she was born was located. She hadn't been there since she was about 16 weeks old. I took her to my brother's apartment in another state when I was helping him move. 7 years later, my parents took her on a visit to my brother. She got out of the car and walked straight to his door, even though it was a large complex with very similar buildings.

She also had this trait where she would carefully watch strangers while you were out walking. As they passed, she would keep looking over her shoulder to make sure they weren't looping back around until they were well out of distance. And if she thought for a second that they were a threat, she wouldn't bark. But she had a growl that sounded like it came from Hell.

I never had to train her to do anything... she housetrained herself, she heeled perfectly without being told, and she would sit and wait if I stopped to talk to someone on a walk. I never, ever showed her any of these things, but she always did it.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

VIP Member
    The Black lab (Buckwheat), Who has been gone for 3.5 yrs.,YES
    The Yellow lab(Jaylynne), who has been gone for almost 2 yrs. NO
    The knucklehead,Beautiful Lab/Dob(Chloe) mix I have now,NO
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links