Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

This is a discussion on Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIGP250 Ever haver her checked out for rabies? You know, just in case. Yes. She gets to the Vet once, sometimes twice ...

View Poll Results: Have you tested your four legged friend's defensive capabilities?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have tested my dog.

70 70.00%
  • No, I have not tested my dog.

30 30.00%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Ever haver her checked out for rabies? You know, just in case.
    Yes. She gets to the Vet once, sometimes twice a year. All her shots are up to date. She is a healthy 12 year old, 40 lb. mixed breed with all of her teeth and muscle. The tether on her in the pic is actually a horse lead. Correct, horse lead. She breaks or bites through all the other cheap ones.

She was a rescued dog when she was a pup. My wife took her in many years ago out in IL. After we got married and wife moved here, the dog came along. They had to tether her when she was out in IL and the neighbor kids teased her something fierce. I guess that made her agressive.

Plus, she's just a wonderful guard dog who will notify us of any intruder in just a few moments of her knowing so.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hothoog View Post
    1. Do you think your dog would protect you from an aggressive offender?

2. Do you think your dog would protect your property if your weren't home?

3. If so do you think the law suit liability in the case of a mistaken identity (dog bites someone who is not a bad guy) is worth it?
    1) I have seen my dog growl at strangers that he felt were a threat for one reason or another. He will bark when people come around the property and often spends time on 'patrol', he will often just go and look out the window to see what's going on. When we come home he is always waiting at the door.

2) We have approached the house quietly and knocked, he lets loose with his loud barking. He has even done that if I walked around the side or back of the house and he didn't realize it was me, once I turned and he recognized me he stopped.

3) Just homeowners but anyone that is in my house had better be invited.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Yes. She gets to the Vet once, sometimes twice a year. All her shots are up to date. She is a healthy 12 year old, 40 lb. mixed breed with all of her teeth and muscle. The tether on her in the pic is actually a horse lead. Correct, horse lead. She breaks or bites through all the other cheap ones.

She was a rescued dog when she was a pup. My wife took her in many years ago out in IL. After we got married and wife moved here, the dog came along. They had to tether her when she was out in IL and the neighbor kids teased her something fierce. I guess that made her agressive.

Plus, she's just a wonderful guard dog who will notify us of any intruder in just a few moments of her knowing so.
    I'm sorry, I was just pulling your leg. It just struck me funny the way you said you dog hates everyone. It made me laugh out loud. I'm sure your dog loves you and love your dog.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I'm sorry, I was just pulling your leg. It just struck me funny the way you said you dog hates everyone. It made me laugh out loud. I'm sure your dog loves you and love your dog.
    Don't worry Sig, it's cool, I understand, and you had a valid point. Glad my description of her made you laugh!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Yes....my hunting and companion dog.....a 95 pound Weimaraner....scary big bark....and I would not want to jump into my backyard with her in the vicinity! You might just leave with no ankles!!!!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

We have a 2 yr old female boxer, horrible watch dog. She sleeps soundly at night and I don't know how to remedy this. A bear tore into our trash bag on front porch one night, six feet from where she slept. Nothing. We've had nocturnal visits from some criminal neighbors, only once did she get up, but no bark, growl, just kinda prance around. When I'm not home, she is much better but not even close to other dogs..Very disappointing. Are there any ways to ramp up her alertness??

I have 3 pups. A pitbull, a pit mix and a lab mix. All 3 will bark and growl, thier bite matches or exceeds their bark. If you come inside uninvited, there is a very solid chance that you will not leave on your own.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I have two older dogs. A female 55lb. American pit bull terrier and a male Warlock Doberman weighing in at 115 lbs. The Doberman barks at anyone who comes on property and sounds aggressive. The pitbull does not bark unless someone approches right up to the house then she has a mixture of growl and bark. Would they attack an intruder ? I do not know. Do they look like they would do you some hurt if they did ? Yup !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    My Presa Canario. She would probably let you take the valuables if me or the lil' woman wasn't around but don't make any fast moves when her beloved humans are in range or life will get shortened abruptly.

If the wife or I are in the house, both dogs will bark at someone approaching the house...

At night, once we go to bed, only one dog is free in the house and she barks at anything bumping the house...

She is not going to protect us, but is a good first alarm...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

My dog HATES everyone and anyone that enters our door no matter if his master doesn't act as though they're threats.

Honestly, that's the way I prefer it. He won't bite anyone unless they are acting aggressively, I know that for a fact. However, even if you are a welcome guest he is still pissed off and loud for a good hour as you are there.

Interesting ... I voted no, because he self-tests every day ... Shiner the wonderbeagle barks at 1. anyone who walks by the house in front. 2. anyhone who walks by the house on the golf course out back. 3. anyone who comes to the door to deliver a package 4. anyone, period, plus deer, other dogs, birds, our cat, my wife, etc. he just likes to bark ... it's not obnoxious, a few bays to let us know something has caught his attention ... he can't be bribed because he barks long before a BG could get close enough to offer him a treat ... maybe they could lower a steak down the chimney, that might work ...

I do think he would protect me in case of an attack ... he wouldn't protect our stuff because if he isn't with us, he's in a crate when we're not home (that's rarely, because I'm retired and home most of the time). as for liability, if you get into the house and he hasn't gotten us to see what the problem is, he won't be biting you ... he's very friendly; his barking is an alert, not a warning that he's coming to bite you ... dogs are extremely unpredictable, tho, my sister-in-law had to put one of her little dogs down after it bit one of her grandchildren ... sadly it's the dog that will have to pay, despite the fact that they left the dog and baby alone, and the baby was trying to take the dog's toy away ... he was just being a dog, but that won't cut it when a baby gets chomped ... barely broke the skin, but there you are ...
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." Claude Bastiat

"Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I have one PT apbt that has been "real" world tested (several times) and passed beautifully.

My new "pit" has NOT yet been tested in PT. But, she's a better "watch" dog that my PT dog.

RKM
    My one dog, the mutt, will bark at the smallest sound from outdoors overnight. Sometimes it's annoying. I know for a fact he'll bark if someone were to break in. His bark is extremly vicious and if I didn't know he was a big sweetheart, I'd bolt out of the house as fast as I could. Would he attack? I honestly don't think so. I'd rather him not so he doesn't get hurt. His bark is enough to scare somebody and wake me.

My German Shephard used to be the same way. He just turned 9 and he's very, very laid back and lazy. I know that when he starts barking, ****'s serious. When the mutt barks, he may have just heard a leaf hit the ground. He'll randomly stare out the window at nothing and growl sometimes.

All I ask is for them to bark and wake me so I can grab my USP and call 911. They don't need to attack. I don't want them to. I don't want somebody to break in and kill my dog because it attacked them. If they do, they're going to get their life ruined.

This morning I woke up and the house was warm and muggy. The backdoor WIDE open. I was alarmed at first but became calmer when I saw the mutt was just chillin'. If somebody was in the house, I'd know by his reaction. I didn't think that was enough to call 911, but I still grabed my USP and just had a look around. The back door is difficult to latch at times. It was locked, just not latched :-/

Had a German Shepherd that would definitely defend family and property, and had a very keen eye for identifying familiar faces and strangers. What's more, he was a Hebrew-speaking dog, so trying to calm him down in English was an exercise in futility.

My uncle had a German Shepherd that he overtrained, and the dog identified nearly everyone as a threat. Not good.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links