Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system? - Page 6

Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

This is a discussion on Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have yet to see a four legged alarm/deterrence system that couldn't be turned off with a few treats or a good t-bone....

View Poll Results: Have you tested your four legged friend's defensive capabilities?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have tested my dog.

70 70.00%
  • No, I have not tested my dog.

30 30.00%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

I have yet to see a four legged alarm/deterrence system that couldn't be turned off with a few treats or a good t-bone.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

mythbusters showed that even a police K-9 or guard dog can be swayed with a steak...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    mythbusters showed that even a police K-9 or guard dog can be swayed with a steak...
    True. I think natural instincts with dogs need to eat will trump just about anything else in the world. Dogs pretty much live to eat and sleep.

Hopefully the BG won't be smart enough to bring dog treats or even steak and the barking alone will be enough for him to choose a different house.

Personally if I were a Bg, and I started breaking into a house and heard deep, mean barking, I'd just stop and move onto an easier house. It's not worth the risk of being mauled by a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by hothoog View Post
    Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

Iíve been watching a reality show in which a family hires a guy to burglarize their house. In every case I saw the dogs didnít do any good. They either barked a bit or then were easily tricked to go outside or bribed by the burglar or happily greeted the stranger in their home.

I decided to test my German shepherd. I paid my cousin (Whom the dog had never met) $20 to sneak in the window late one night at a random time so that I wasnít expecting him either.

I am proud to say the dog heard him coming in and investigated without even waking me. Then when she discovered the threat she got really loud and aggressive. He didnít get bit but he barely got out that window in time.

A week later I let my cousin in through the front door and the dog treated him like she treated everyone else who came to visit, polite but cautious.

Problem is, I see a lot of people have a lot of faith in their dogs on this forum but I wonder if that faith is justified.

1. Do you think your dog would protect you from an aggressive offender?

2. Do you think your dog would protect your property if your weren't home?

3. If so do you think the law suit liability in the case of a mistaken identity (dog bites someone who is not a bad guy) is worth it?
    The time of day may have had something to do with it. If the dog is sleeping and awoken it could be an instinctual response to become aggressive, but during the day it would be more docile.

What if you had someone break in during the day? Another test break in?

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    True. I think natural instincts with dogs need to eat will trump just about anything else in the world. Dogs pretty much live to eat and sleep.

Hopefully the BG won't be smart enough to bring dog treats or even steak and the barking alone will be enough for him to choose a different house.

Personally if I were a Bg, and I started breaking into a house and heard deep, mean barking, I'd just stop and move onto an easier house. It's not worth the risk of being mauled by a dog.
    I have read accounts of burglars bringing in meat with them for just this occcasion. Some had been using Tylenol PM to poison the dog. Or some just kill the dog.

I don't have any dogs. My wife has dogs. They only bark at three things. Anything, everything, and nothing. For the most part, they're stupid, noisey, and annoying. The do nothing at all but convert dog food into dog poop.

However, one day, in one heroic, 10?...15 minute stand, they earned their keep. My wife, who is handicapped and has trouble walking herself, had taken them for a walk in our old neighborhood. About a block from home, two pit bull terriers came after her/the dogs.

She tossed the leashes free and told the dogs to "GO HOME!" They didn't.

They got between her and the pits, and fought a delaying action all the way to the apartment, as my wife hobbled along ahead of them. Only one of the Pits was attacking, the other was just there barking. Her little dogs took on the agressive one. First one would nip at his rear. When he turned to deal with that threat, the dog would roll over and go submissive. In the meantime, the other one would attack his now exposed rear. When he turned to deal with the new attack, the first dog would jump up and get back in the fight. My wife said this went on all the way to the apartment. She said the pit was obviously confused, and couldn't figure out, just how to deal with these little yappy balls of fur that kept harassing him.

I heard my wife screaming for me and found her pinned up against the wall of the building. The fuzzballs were still worrying the pit bull, but he was starting to see an opportunity to break through them and get to her. She was crying and screaming for me to "GET A GUN AND KILL THAT XXXXXXX!!" About that time, an old woman from across the courtyard, hearing my wife's screams for help, and seeing what was happening, came running out with an industrial strength broomstick, ready to do battle. I took the stick and wacked the pit across the head, and he ran off, taking his buddy with him.

Her dogs, sat there with a "We did good" look on their face. I told them..."I guess you can stay. For now."

That was eight years ago. I'd say they were tested.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

My chocolate lab is tested, but he's getting on up there in age (7 or 8 years old now) and has a knee problem. But you'd better be damn sure that you can run faster than him because he is NOT friendly.

Some idiot kids walked through our yard with a "POSTED: NO TRESSPASSING" sign clearly posted on both sides of the house and my the dog wrenched the leash from my dog's hands. It nipped at the kid's heels and supposedly drew blood. I get home from college a bit later that day and I had decided to clean my shotgun because it had been a while since it had a rub down when the kid's dad knocks at the door. He threatento call the cops a bring a lawsuit because of my dog, now me with shotgun in hand say this: "Sir, with all undue respect, I'm an Eagle Scout, my father was a cop and is a Marine, and my mother is a private investigator and former cop. Who are they going to believe, me or someone who was criminally trespassing?"

Never heard from him again, and no one walks through our yard any more.

My dog is also racist for no apparent reason. He HATES anything dark colored, be it African-Americans or some white kid in a black t-shirt. At 130 lbs. he's no lightweight, haha.

Another time someone broke one of our back door's windows (they're french doors) and the dog scared him off, for a lab our dog is very not nice to strangers.

Our dog is a Bassedor--a Basset Hound/Labrador mix. Because of that he has the hyper good nature of a lab and the slow-minded easy going attitude of a Basset. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body and we like him that way, so we hold no illusions about him being a deterrent in any way. He does bark when people knock on the door, or when he sees them go past the window at night, but it's one single bark--granted, he has a pretty deep voice when he wants to, so if they don't see the fact that he's only as tall as their knees he might scare someone off

I would not expect my current canine family member, a 55 pound Aussie, mix to attack anyone that broke in, but If I am at home, I will most certainly know the BG is coming in plenty of time to be prepared and waiting. I know whenever someone comes up the driveway, even if I'm in the back of the house. One of the dogs I've owned was different. He was a Shepherd Collie mix and tolerated no strangers unless I made him do so. When my kids were small, 5 or 6, the two girls were playing in our fenced back yard, under Sampson's watchful eye when someone tried to climb over the back gate. Sampson sounded more like a lion than a dog as he charged at the intruder. The guy barely managed to scramble back over the gate before the dog hit the wire so hard that it bulged outward. He was gone so fast that he was out of sight before I could get outside and I had to rely on the girls to tell me what happened. I still miss that dog.

My dog has short tolerance for some in my neighborhood. Twice saw kids trying to hit him, once a kid tried whip him with his belt (caught him).
    The last time, the dog and I were enraged. I wound up getting punched out, the dog circled me until got back up.
    tested, yes. I just wish it was on my terms.

Quote Originally Posted by hothoog View Post
    1. Do you think your dog would protect you from an aggressive offender?

2. Do you think your dog would protect your property if your weren't home?

3. If so do you think the law suit liability in the case of a mistaken identity (dog bites someone who is not a bad guy) is worth it?
    I put a LOT of confidence in my Chow dog, Dusti as an early warning system. That's it. She wakes me up, buys me time, and perhaps scares off the guys just looking for an easy target. Nobody is going to SNEAK up on me with her around.

You can't faze her with treats either. When she is in the zone she will ignore people food from me. She's wary of strangers, and doesn't even like cheap dog treats to boot. She won't take cheap treats from the workers at Petsmart. If anybody wants to buy her off, the'd better bring prime rib.

When she was a puppy she never barked. For the "longest time" (about 4 months) we joked that we didn't know if she COULD bark! Then one day my sister in law walked in without knocking first. Like I said, I don't think she wants to bite, but she puts on a very convincing show! I guess you could say that was a test.

She knows the difference in random strangers walking down the street not hurting anything (kids on bikes, skateboards, etc) and people coming on our yard. She is always watching everything, and she sleeps lightly.
    There is no false alarm with her. If she barks in the middle of the night my blood runs cold.

But to answer your questions:
    1. No. I am her boss and it is my job to protect her. She is not "brave" and wouldn't bite anyone unless they touched her first.
    However, one time my father in law punched me in the shoulder and Dusti checked MY face to assess the situation.
    She's smart, but I'm not counting on her to bite anyone.

2. Only from the average kid who just wants an easy target. She would make it less-easy, and I would hope that they'd simply pick an easier house.
    I don't have anything super-valuable so I'm not expecting pros to break in when I am away.

3. I don't think she would bite anyone unless they touched her first. Because of that I don't board her, I have to be selective about the vets that we see, and I don't take her around kids.

My other dog? Hawk, the Lab mix? Hahahahahaha When someone pulls in the drive he barks plenty, then runs to the nearest toy and presents it to the stranger for them to throw. Hawk is the one I take to the river, or to the park around kids, he's a fun dog. He barks at anything and everything (although not usually "nothing") and we have a no-bark collar for him. He's big and loud, but I don't expect ANYTHING out of him protection-wise. We board him when we go out of town.

1. Yes
    2. Probably not
    3. Unlikely, if they have a reason to bite then it is probably a good one.

I have a pure bred siberian husky, he is an amazing dog and he doesn't like strangers (people or other dogs). We have had a few instances while walking him in public trails with some sketchy people around and people walking their dogs off leash (a huge pet peeve of mine!) and he has stepped up to bat every time. He has never actually tried to bite anyone but will take an aggressive stance and I have no doubt that he would attack if he felt it necessary.
    I also have a beagle that we think is mixed with a lab but we're not sure. He growls and barks but will submit pretty easily. The only time I have seen him actually take a stand was when we were walking both of them on a trail and a guy had his dog off leash. The dog decided to come confront both of my dogs (who were on leashes) and even though he was bigger than my husky he learned his lesson pretty fast. The guy tried to tell me that he was going to call the police and sue me, I offered to call the police for him, then told him to invest in a leash and left (his dog was not hurt, just scared).
    I don't expect them to be my security system, but I know they will give me ample warning if something is wrong. They alerted me twice last weekend in the middle of the night because of some moths bothering them lol, I told them I wasn't going to shoot the moths and to go back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    They alerted me twice last weekend in the middle of the night because of some moths bothering them lol, I told them I wasn't going to shoot the moths and to go back to sleep.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Ok, my Lab dog that I said was absolutely no good?? Perhaps he's not as dumb as I thought. Last night I sneaked around the back of my house while he was in the front yard, and he stopped, stiftened up and growled at me with his hair standing all up.
    He slowly recognized me and his tail started to wag. (His night vision is not as good as my Chow's so he is easy to "trick") I thought of this thread and how I said he was no good at all.

We rescued a Great Dane (Jedi) last Nov. He turned one in May. He is typically alert inside and out. We have a four foot wood fence, he will stand on hind legs and look over the fence (he's over 6 ft standing that way) and look around to see what's going on in the neighborhood. He will bark (it's loud) at people or animals approaching. He will move around the fence line checking all the different angles. He will politely watch the nextdoor neighbor pull weeds or whatever.
    His only inside test was when my wife's cousin was coming over to borrow luggage. We told the cousin we would leave the front door unlocked and to come on in, as we were sitting down to dinner. When the cousin popped through the door, Jedi stood up and let out that low growl, stopped him in his tracks.
    We have three kids, 8, 4 & 3. Jedi is GREAT with them, and I believe he would protect any of us. This thread has me wanting to try some late-night knocking and what-not to see how he reacts.

Regards,
    Josh

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links