Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

This is a discussion on Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Don't do the dog thing any more. I have a nice little security system installed with all the bells and whistles. Plus...it doesn't crap in ...

View Poll Results: Have you tested your four legged friend's defensive capabilities?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have tested my dog.

70 70.00%
  • No, I have not tested my dog.

30 30.00%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Have you tested your four legged alarm/deterrence system?

Don't do the dog thing any more. I have a nice little security system installed with all the bells and whistles. Plus...it doesn't crap in my yard!!

Love dogs though...especially Pinchers!
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

2. Remove Ads

2 American Bulldogs. 1 trained in Schutzhund, would definitely protect. The other from a 2 very protective lines, would likely protect. Each would be a handful - together they'd present a major problem for any but the most prepared intruder. In a dark home, where an intruder doesn't know the layout, and can't see the dogs coming, big protective dogs are capable of engaging and stopping a threat - illuminated, against an armed BG, not so much.
    In our home, their primary security function is an alert layer. - and they keep the couch from flying off the Earth.

I don't have dogs for protection, but my dogs were inadvertently tested when my parents came to visit. It was going to rain that day, so I left the dogs inside while I was at work so they wouldn't get muddy. My parents had never met our German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix.

They met her when they got into town early and let themselves in the front door. My father said he barely got the door shut in time; my dog was at a full charge lunging for his throat.

Good girl.

I've always had shepherds for their "vigilance". I had a hyper-attentive Aussie prior to our German Shepherd. It's always rewarding when he alerts long before I know anyone is approaching. I cut some windows in our privacy fence so he can keep any eye out for evil-doers. He's always in the house with us, and is often in the house when we're not home. He hasn't been tested (Thank God), and while he might or might not attack, I have no doubt that the sight of him barking at someone through the window would make the bad guy go on down the street...

Here's Fritz in his TSP (Tactical Swimming Pool), keeping watch while keeping cool...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I have a black lab and she was tested with a LEO who said he was looking for someone at 5:00 AM. He jumped the fence even though there are beware of dog signs and the dog chased him out of the yard. He told my wife she needs to control the dog but she told him I was out of town and she is her protection. The other time she was tested was with my nephew who the dog didn't know and he came over and when me wife opened todoor the dog lunged at his throut. I told the dog he was ok but she set next to my wife the whole time he was here staring at him. So I guss my dog was tested
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by dptigger View Post
    I have a black lab and she was tested with a LEO who said he was looking for someone at 5:00 AM. He jumped the fence even though there are beware of dog signs and the dog chased him out of the yard. He told my wife she needs to control the dog but she told him I was out of town and she is her protection. The other time she was tested was with my nephew who the dog didn't know and he came over and when me wife opened todoor the dog lunged at his throut. I told the dog he was ok but she set next to my wife the whole time he was here staring at him. So I guss my dog was tested
    Wait, the LEO came into YOUR yard and told you that you need to control your dog??? Ummmm under all the animal control ordinances that I've read, a dog contained in his own yard IS under control. LEO was in the wrong, obviously. What a dumbnut
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Wait, the LEO came into YOUR yard and told you that you need to control your dog??? Ummmm under all the animal control ordinances that I've read, a dog contained in his own yard IS under control. LEO was in the wrong, obviously. What a dumbnut
    +1
    That is ridiculous. Unfortunately some LEOs think that their badge lets them do just about anything they want and they give the good ones a bad name.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    In most states that is true that I am aware of.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Here's Fritz in his TSP (Tactical Swimming Pool), keeping watch while keeping cool...
    That picture is several layers deep in awsomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    That picture is several layers deep in awsomeness.
    +1 LOL
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Two of my 3 dogs have been unintentionally tested and they both passed with flying colors.

My pit mix is extremely protective of my children, we warn all visitors to my house not to rough-house with or make any sudden moves towards my family. One of our neighbor kids chose to ignore these rules and he received a warning bite to the arm for his troubles. Luckily his parents are of like mind and understood that the dog was doing exactly what he is supposed to do, and ended up punishing their child for violating our house rules while he was a guest.

My Doberman is VERY territorial with strangers, which is a pain considering that our neighbors park their car about 5 feet away from our fence-line. At one point we had a cable installer at our house and put the dogs outside. Odin wouldn't stop barking at him through the fence while he was working on the side of the house so I brought him inside and warned the cableman "DO NOT come inside without knocking so that I can put the dog back outside." He apparently forgot this warning and walked up onto the deck and opened the door to come inside. Before I could even react I heard an "Oh @#$%" at the front door and looked over just in time to see my doberman barely missing with an "I'm going to kill you" bite. Luckily the cableman had the presence of mind to reach back inside and close the door before he ran or he probably would have been chased down.

Those two dogs are very in tune with everything going on around them to the point where I know if a car is stopped in my driveway, I know if someone is driving a tractor down the dirt road behind our yard, hell, I know if one of the neighbors cats is in my front yard. I don't depend on them for protection. But it's comforting to know that I have one more layer of protection in this crazy world.

Coincidentally, both of these dogs are absolute sweethearts to all members of my family and guests that are invited into our home. They're just as intolerant of stupid crap as I am.

I don't really expect my dogs to defend me or my family. What they do and they do it very well is bark when anything out of the ordinary happens. So guess you could say they are my outside alarm system. And the male Jack Russel sleeps around back while the rest sleep in front of the house so both entrances are covered.

Dogs are not alarm systems. Although I have two large, hyper-vigilant dogs, I don't expect them to do anything but offer a visual deterrent towards a bad guy who looks in the window.

IMHO the risk of having a hyper-protective dog with aggressive tendencies is that they will go after a non-bad guy and you'll end up with a lawsuit and worse.

The last word i heard on the DOG laws in Cochise County Az is that if someone is bitten by a dog on the dogs owner's property the dog or the owner cannot be held liable. . It also stated that if someone is bitten after teasing/tormenting a dog. the dog or the owner is not liable. .

Here is my old girl, she has been gone about 5 years now, she was a great dog! She would let anyone in the house the the family let in, but she keep an eye on them. She was of German decent, very determined to do her job and was good at guarding. One time a fellow deputy came to my house, he was on duty answer a call about my dog biting a lady. When he knocked on the door my dog barked to let me know someone was there. I open the door and let him in with her sitting at my side, the deputy asked if he could pet her and I said yes, just don't touch your sidearm. My shep did not like anyone to have a firearm in their hands and would disarm them if they did not put her down first. He laughed and petted her and told me everything was okay, he thought my dog was fine and that would be in his report.

The reason all this happened was because my wife and I were having a yard sale, my wife was sitting in a chair about thirty feet behind a table in our driveway with my shep sitting at her side. This lady walks up my driveway right past the table to where my wife was sitting and reached down and patted my shep on the back of her head. My shep gave her a little snap, did not break any skin or even leave any marks. The lady told my wife she did a stupid thing and should have known better.

I had to go to dog court, the lady told what happened and it was really her fault. The judge ruled in my favor.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links