Doral/Miami FL Anyplace I should avoid?

This is a discussion on Doral/Miami FL Anyplace I should avoid? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am headed down to Doral Fl to meet my parents for a little vacation time. Are there any places we should be avoiding? Are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doral/Miami FL Anyplace I should avoid?

Doral/Miami FL Anyplace I should avoid?

I am headed down to Doral Fl to meet my parents for a little vacation time. Are there any places we should be avoiding? Are there any places we shouldn't miss the week I am there? Any help from the brethren in the area would be greatly appreciated. Already got the skinny from handgunlaw.us, but if there is anything else I should know about carrying in FL it would be helpful too.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    I am headed down to Doral Fl to meet my parents for a little vacation time. Are there any places we should be avoiding? Are there any places we shouldn't miss the week I am there? Any help from the brethren in the area would be greatly appreciated. Already got the skinny from handgunlaw.us, but if there is anything else I should know about carrying in FL it would be helpful too.
    I cannot speak as to where too/not too go while there, but, just stick with the carry laws for Florida and you should be ok. I assume your concealed weapons license is recognized by Florida?

If so, :

- Carry in your car is ok. Can be loaded and unholstered while in the glove box.

- Cannot be open laying in the car. Must be contained in a secure bag or box.

- Carry (concealed) on your person while in the car is ok. Loaded and chambered is ok.

- No duty to inform in Florida, but is recommended, if stopped.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I personally wouldn't go anywhere English is spoken only as a second language, unless you are fluent in Spanish. That eliminates everywhere from Ft. Lauderdale south.

I live down here.

Doral is fine.

At all times though, keep your eyes open and head moving. If anything looks wrong get in your vehicle or if on foot haul ass in opposite direction.

Bad things happen here to the unwary.

Do not stop anywhere immediately east or west of 95 in southern Broward or Dade.
    The Marshmallowist

Quote Originally Posted by soflasmg View Post
    I live down here.

Doral is fine.

At all times though, keep your eyes open and head moving. If anything looks wrong get in your vehicle or if on foot haul ass in opposite direction.

Do not stop anywhere immediately east or west of 95 in southern Broward or Dade.
    Now how do you expect to make a guy feel welcomed with rules like that?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I live down here.

Doral is fine.

lived many mango seasons in dade county. my office was in the doral area and it is not to bad. the doral golf club is nice. also, stay out of hialeah and south of kendale. bad things can happen any where and any time. keep your eye open and your car doors locked. if your car gets bumped in the rear end at a red light or stop sign, don't get out, just drive off. the big thing was to bump a car at a light or stop sign. when you got out to check the bad guy would get out and shoot you in the lower leg and a second bad guy would take your car. out of state plates are fair game in miami. just keep your eyes open.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Miami is like any other place. If it looks bad, then it probably is. Doral was created due to the growth of population around the Doral Country Club and the Doral Estates - DEFINITELY upscale. As previously written, stay away from any local areas immediately adjacent to I-95. Always be aware as you would be in any large city.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

GM
    I live down here.

Doral is fine.

IMHO, that was a little … excessive
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The "not to bad" comments don't exactly make me feel more comfortable. I'm staying right here in Mayberry.

I've been seeing some cable TV shows that make Mayberry seem more dangerous than Miami Vice!
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

I live not too far from the town that Mayberry was modeled after in NC.
    The woman that played Thelma Lou in the Andy Griffith Show recently moved there to get away from the big city. She was mugged there last week.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    stay out of hialeah and south of kendale. bad things can happen any where and any time. keep your eye open and your car doors locked. if your car gets bumped in the rear end at a red light or stop sign, don't get out, just drive off. the big thing was to bump a car at a light or stop sign. when you got out to check the bad guy would get out and shoot you in the lower leg and a second bad guy would take your car. out of state plates are fair game in miami. just keep your eyes open.
    Hialeah and Kendal are generally good and safe citys but cover a large land area and like any large city have their bad areas. The main issue with these is that the are predominantly spanish... so if you don't speak spanish I wouldn't make a trip through them on purpose (there isn't really anything of value for a tourist to see there anyways.

As to the car thing. Who says this is specific to Miami. All I can say is I have never been shot in the leg after an accident, but seems like this could happen in any large city.
    Doral is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I personally wouldn't go anywhere English is spoken only as a second language, unless you are fluent in Spanish. That eliminates everywhere from Ft. Lauderdale south.
    That’s not a very open minded thing to say. Miami is one of the top tourist destinations of the world for a reason. Thousands of people from all over come to Miami and South Florida who don’t speak Spanish or even English for that matter and do just fine. By that thinking would yo never go see the Ancient ruins of Italy?

I live down here.

This is the only comment I agree with!!! The greater Miami region is extremely large and multifaceted, and because of this you do have to be careful (as you should be in any large city or any city you are not familiar with).

There are obvious sights to see: Miami Beach (art deco district), Vizcaya, Bayside mall (on the weekend), Fairchild tropical gardens, just to name a few.

Places to avoid: downtown (after dark), design district (anytime really, no need to go not a great neighborhood, Little Haiti (north of the design district), Over town district.

If willing to drive: head to the keys (john penny camp on Key Largo is only about 1 hour away).

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    That’s not a very open minded thing to say. Miami is one of the top tourist destinations of the world for a reason. Thousands of people from all over come to Miami and South Florida who don’t speak Spanish or even English for that matter and do just fine. By that thinking would yo never go see the Ancient ruins of Italy?
    Sure, but when I went to Italy, someone in every store spoke English. Not so in Miami.

Stay out of the dingy parts of town (like any city), which may be difficult if you don't know your way around.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sure, but when I went to Italy, someone in every store spoke English. Not so in Miami.
    Thats funny cause I live down here and I hear quite a lot of English.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    If you enjoy a cigar I wouldn't miss a chance to go the Moore and Bode Cigar factory. All fantastic but the Full Brass is heavenly.

As retsup would say, this is a two (maybe three) mag town.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links