Hotels or motels.....what's your opinion on the safest

This is a discussion on Hotels or motels.....what's your opinion on the safest within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When you look at the stats, the danger comes from violent crime, not fire....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hotels or motels.....what's your opinion on the safest

Administrator
    When you look at the stats, the danger comes from violent crime, not fire.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

I understand that, and I have plenty in my bag-o-tricks to safeguard against violent crime in and around the hotel.

However, being trapped in a basement fire with two other firefighters, and to the point you're buddy breathing off others SCBA with your PASS alarm activated before being rescued gives one a real appreciation for being trapped by fire. Maybe I'm a little phobic but packing an extra 8 lb. duffel bag when I travel gives me some piece of mind.

Next time you travel, ask if the building is sprinklered. You'd be surprised how many Marriot's, Radisson's, and Hyatt's do not have sprinkler systems.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    I agree with you Bark'n, I don't fault you on what you do. But if I'm choosing hotel or motel over fire or security, security wins every time based on the facts and stats.
    A smart traveler will consider both.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Next time you travel, ask if the building is sprinklered. You'd be surprised how many Marriot's, Radisson's, and Hyatt's do not have sprinkler systems.
    Really? I thought that was a law or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post
    Really? I thought that was a law or something.
    It's always the stuff you don't know that gets you killed, isn't it.

No federal law requiring sprinklers. State laws vary and often times when a sprinkler law is finally passed, they usually don't require hotels who were not sprinklered prior to the law being passed to retrofit pre-existing structures.

I will preface this with the fact that I've been out of the fire service for over 10 years now, so I'm definitely not up on all new building codes and life safety laws. However, in the last 3 or 4 years, I've stayed in at least 4 hotels without sprinklers. Often times my hotel is being paid for by the State as I teach classes for State Emergency Management so I don't get a choice where I'm staying. But I always ask.

Last I checked in Columbia, Missouri, only 3 hotels had sprinklers. Holiday Inn is not one of them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    No doubt, fire and crime are the two biggest concerns.

I've "paid my dues" in the past on staying at some semi-crummy place. We typically try to stay at an upscale hotel. I am willing to stay at a motel, but it's going to have to look right, be new and in a decent-looking part of town.

Here's a hint, not too long ago we were planning a cross country trip and guessed we'd need to stay overnight in Albuquerque. I found some members here who were from there and PM'd them asking what part of town had the "safest" environment cluster of hotels/motels. Our members here made good recommendations.

You know the hotel/motel life is much an extension of your life at home. If you are out late you typically may run into more trouble. If your home is in a marginal part of town, it's the same. You need to lock your doors and find out who and why someone is knocking on your door. It's much about SA and coping with it in a new environment.

Here's a hotel horror story. My wife was staying in a very nice hotel about an hour away on a multi-day business meeting. She suggested I drive down and stay overnight with her that evening. I wasn't sure I could make it, but things worked out, so I drove down there that evening. This was before cell phone days. I got to the hotel, walked in, went up to the room and knocked on the door.....no answer. I went down to the desk, walked confidently up to the counter and told the girl I needed an extra key to #1215 and she gave me one. I went upstairs, let myself in and was laying on the bed watching TV when my wife came in the room after shopping at the mall. She was stunned I had breached her so-called false sense of security so easily.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I only stay in hotels, mainly Hilton properties but also a fair number of Marriotts. I don't want access to my room from the sidewalk.

That being said, never let your guard down. It can happen any time, any place.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Yup BYOFE? (bring you own fire extinguisher)

I think Sixto nailed it.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'll stay about anywhere that I can afford, but dang well make sure it's not above the 2nd floor and close to the fire exits for my own reasons. I don't worry about security that much, have my own and someone put here door stopper items come in handy or improvise.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I usually try to stay at hilton or marriott chains. Unfortuneately for me being civil service I'm always traveling to military bases were concealed weapons are not permitted. But I still have my flashlight on me at the very least.

Usually when I leave the room all my important stuff comes with me (laptop, paperwork, etc.). the only clothes that I unpack are my slacks and shirts that I hang up. The rest stay in the suit case and are locked.

I also always try to find a hotels that are not the motel style where you can park just outside the door. As that gives anybody immediate access to your door and window which is two points of entry as opposed to one from a hotel where the doors are in a hallway.

The door always stays locked and bolted as I will never have any reason to answer to door. If anybody ever knocks on the door claiming to be from the hotel it is best to call the front desk to confirm that they did indeed send somebody to your room before you answer the door.

There have been occasions where I've had to stay at hotels that are in sketchy areas just because the base is so far out in the middle of nowhere that the closest hotels are in those areas. when that happens I'll try to eat at a restuarant on base before I head back to the hotel so I don't have to venture out in the sketchy areas.

When I stay in bigger cities that I usually take advantage of the wider selection of hotels so that I can stay in a nicer area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links