Hotels or motels.....what's your opinion on the safest

This is a discussion on Hotels or motels.....what's your opinion on the safest within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've stayed at both, plenty of times. Both have their own distinctive advantages and disadvantages. Let's avoid room rates, reservations, room service, clean pool, bed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

I've stayed at both, plenty of times. Both have their own distinctive advantages and disadvantages.

Let's avoid room rates, reservations, room service, clean pool, bed bugs () etc, I'm talking about the risk/safety level and your well-being. Of course the neighborhood has something to do with it, but I'm mostly wanting to focus on fire's, floor heights, parking lots, empty stairwells, housekeeping employee screening, door and room security, on-site guards, etc

Maybe some of our members with hotel/motel management experience can offer some tips?

What do ya'll think?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I spend allot of time behind the scenes at hotels in my employment. I will tell you that most good hotels (the down town type) have actual trained security people. These security folks range from mall ninjas to the no nonsense skull crackers. I dont know of too many motels that have full time trained people watching the rif raff and keeping an eye on the security cameras.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Hotels...motels......they're a home away from home. When I'm away from home, I'm my own security. I'm the best at doing that, and I won't depend on anyone else to do it for me. I pretty much don't sleep at all on the road living out of a hotel or motel. There's no place like home if you absolutely have to close your eyes.

VIP Member
    I used to do motels so that I'd have a ground-floor room to park my motorcycle in, so that it wouldn't get stolen. One night the police raided the room next to me, and I decided that the motorcycle wasn't worth my life...

Now I build up points on a Marriott VISA and stay for free at fine hotels with good security (the motorcycle gets chained to a post outside and has to fend for itself).

I'm willing to pay a bit more to have doors with hallways on the inside, rather than doors that go directly outside.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Hotels are generally safer while inside their doors, but, outside, they can be as deadly as the local Roach Motel.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Over the past 10 years I've traveled a lot on business. Due to the business aspect and not having CCWs for most of the states in which I do business, I rarely carried a firearm on travel. A couple of good folding knives and a Surefire were the primary weapons.

The very worst situation was when I had a room on the ground floor, with a sliding door that opened up close to the pool. A guy slid my door open and entered my room, but I was dozing on the bed and yelled (screamed) when I saw him and he left post-haste. I rarely took a ground-floor room after that.

As a result, I always ask for a room above ground floors. Beyond that, rooms above the 10th to 12 floors are inaccessible to the highest fire ladders.

When you enter your room, always, always, ALWAYS throw the interior safety latch/bolt. Never, ever assume that the metal key or plastic key card will prevent anyone else from accessing your room.

In your room, when you retire for the night put your keys, wallet, knife, flashlight and gun (if you have one) in or next to your shoes, next to your bed. If you have to get up because of fire or an intrusion, your 'stuff' is all there.

You have no choice as to housekeeping employees, but I've never had a problem with them. Parking lots, stairwells - you're on your own. Let your SA guide you, and always opt on the side of personal safety.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    As a result, I always ask for a room above ground floors. Beyond that, rooms above the 10th to 12 floors are inaccessible to the highest fire ladders.
    I'm not a big fan of motels, but with your own door and low height it would be a lot easier to get away from a fire. For a hotel it seems like a second floor would be pretty desirable?

When you enter your room, always, always, ALWAYS throw the interior safety latch/bolt. Never, ever assume that the metal key or plastic key card will prevent anyone else from accessing your room.
    Absolutely

In your room, when you retire for the night put your keys, wallet, knife, flashlight and gun (if you have one) in or next to your shoes, next to your bed. If you have to get up because of fire or an intrusion, your 'stuff' is all there.
    Good tip about your stuff and the flashlight is ultra-important too.

You have no choice as to housekeeping employees, but I've never had a problem with them. Parking lots, stairwells - you're on your own. Let your SA guide you, and always opt on the side of personal safety.
    I was wondering how well they were screened. Good grief these are people who tend to have a master key and clean your room while you're gone. Worst yet is one who has a thug boyfriend and covertly aides him to rob someone or a room. You are right you don't have much choices.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I was wondering how well they were screened. Good grief these are people who tend to have a master key and clean your room while you're gone. Worst yet is one who has a thug boyfriend and covertly aides him to rob someone or a room. You are right you don't have much choices.
    When I was at a Pat Rogers (EAG Tactical) training a couple of years ago, two students (principals in a well-known tactical equipment company) were staying at a Motel 6. One of them had a crack whore enter his room after midnight, having apparently gotten a pass card from the boyfriend night clerk. Being this was in AZ and our fellow student had some pretty good tactical awareness, the sleazebag 'ho' wound up with a Condition One .45 aimed at her when the lights came on. She nonetheless proceeded to demand money from HIM. The local gendarmes were called and the matter was appropriately resolved.

Bottom line is, never let your guard down.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    I always toss the "do not disturb" sign on the door and leave the TV on when I'm out and about for the day. This will lead housekeeping to believe the room is occupied and to leave it alone. I'll pick up my own towels and what not at the desk. It seems to work.

When traveling for work, we usually get a "public service" rate. It annoys the crap out of me, because often times when I travel for work, the last thing I want is locals to know who I am. So, I flip the tables slightly. I'll tell the front desk that I have a working dog. They will alert housekeeping that there is a police dog in room 123, and they stay out of there.

I never use the dresser drawers, I keep my stuff in luggage; Its easier to secure and keep track of.

I always try to stay on the second floor; Nobody is coming in from the outside, but I can swan dive out the window if there is a fire or something.

I also never park on the outskirts of a parking lot; those are prime spots for vehicle break ins. I'll try to park as close to the front entrance as possible, no matter where my room happens to be.

I have other tricks that are much more deviant, but I'll save those for later.

Oh yeah.... I'll always pony up a extra few bucks to stay in a nicer joint.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I prefer to stay in a hotel and above ground floor when I travel and prefer to be in a hotel with sprinkler system.

Like SIXTO, I don't use the dressers. I work out of my luggage and have a nice garment bag to keep clothes as wrinkle free as possible.

I always study the evacuation plan posted inside the room door and always check for the closest fire station on my floor. (fire extinguisher and/or fire hose stand pipe cabinet).

I bring my own door wedge/door alarm to alert me to anyone attempting to gain entry to my room. Plus it blocks the door from being pushed open. ($10)

I also bring my own personal fire escape with me when I travel. Having a firefighting/rescue background is a plus here for me.

My Bail Out Kit consists of: 100 ft. of CMC Pro Series Escape Line along with a fire rated quick anchor, a NARS Escape Anchor, four carabiners, CMC Escape Artist decender, 5 bar mini rack, four 5 mm Prusik cords, and a quick harness. Also 20 ft. extra 1 inch tubular webbing, leather gloves and a flashlight. (Also two folding spanner wrenches just in case) All carried in a CMC #2 rope bag (25" x 8")

The rope is 7.5 mm, heat rated to 900 degree's F, strength rated at 16.4 kN, and only weighs 3 lbs/100 ft. Total weight of kit is 8.3 lbs and cost was around $500 or about the price of a Glock.

I've responded to several high rise fires in my career and worked inside on four of them, and been trapped in a basement fire once. I'm not dying in a friggon hotel fire.

I haven't flown in years. I usually drive everywhere I go, but If I fly in the future, I'll pay extra luggage fee's to bring my high rise bail out kit.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Last time I stayed at a motel we were on a motorcycle trip,and after checking in noticed that we were probably in a less desirable part of town,I literally passed out spare guns to everybody that knew how to use them.I'm betting it wasn't anything close as when Grady hits the road packing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I prefer someplace with a front desk, than a door to the outside...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Tactical and stratigic thinking must be applied. Where (the surronding neighborhood) your staying, what precautions you take while staying there, and how you apply yourself to the situation your in all play a part in how safe you'll really be.

Anytime, anywhere comes to mind.

Lots of good advice and tactics posted here.....good thread!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

doors to the outside: faster escape from fire, etc
    doors to the inside: much less likely to have some weirdo trying to break in, etc.

I'll go with a hotel.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links