Ever hear of anyone firing a gun during a dream. - Page 3

Ever hear of anyone firing a gun during a dream.

This is a discussion on Ever hear of anyone firing a gun during a dream. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I remember one particular dream where I was shooting at some BG(s). The dreams that I do remember I usually don't get to finish (I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I remember one particular dream where I was shooting at some BG(s). The dreams that I do remember I usually don't get to finish (I wake up/am woken up).

Luckily my dreams and physical movements stay seperate while asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I'm no geriatric expert but let me first say that, my Dad lived to be 89 years old. In his later years he was taking quite a few meds, had some level of dementia, apparently had dreams so vivid he'd argue that they really happened. Earlier on, as his mental stability began to falter we were afraid he'd get confused, get a weapon and hurt someone or himself, so we moved them out of his range of travel in his house.

On to my story. An elderly cousin of mine, that lives alone told me this story as it happened to himself.

This cousin is in his late 70's, sharp as a tack, seems to be in very good mental and physical shape for his age. No drug/alcohol problem or background. Just a good guy, one you'd easily trust and a man of his word type of guy.

He told me he sleeps with his revolver nearby, and one night he had a dream that a gang of people were going around breaking into houses. In his dream they came to his house and he fired at them. The next morning he got up, instantly remembering the vivid dream and thinking how real it was. He started to leave his house then went back, opened the cylinder to his revolver and there was one empty cartridge case !!!!! He actually fired his gun in his sleep, shot through his bed and through the wooden floor. THE GUNFIRE NEVER WOKE HIM UP.

I admit this is hard for me to believe, but he is a trustworthy guy, and I believe his story. He has the bullet holes in his bed to prove it, and he told me he has very vivid dreams. It made me think of my Dad, and I knew we made a good decision at the right time.

This is SCARY, he was scared too. I suggested he get himself a bedside lockbox, maybe he'd fully wake up while trying to input the combination the next time he has some dream.

I guess one reason I'm posting this story, because some of you may have elderly relatives and this issue could happen to them at some point in their lives.
    Short answer to question is YES.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I read a collection of such stories long ago. Not 100% if true or not, was so long ago. It included a LEO who's phone rang who picked up his carry and shot himself in the head. End result, I never put my cell phone where I put a gun and never put my gun near a phone. Likely hood of happening, rare, but sometimes a story sticks.

There were others, waking out of sleep, horror stories. Like mistaking a child who has snuck out as a criminal, etc. Someone had put them together to stress the importance of gun safety. It was not anti-gun, just an FYI sort of thing.

I'm guessing it happens, and just recently, quitely, removed a few firearms out of my father's reach without really telling him. At first my mom just presured him to "pass them down." Then, the rest were hidden by my mother. It will be bad if there is a SD situation and my father has the presence of mind to look for something that is not there. You have to consider the pros and cons, but there were just to many cons.

I did not enjoy that. Some may think you feel older and manning up by addressing the situation. For me, it was emasculating to view my father that way (like I was playing a dirty trick on a good man), and to consider what time may do to me, but it was no longer safe.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I did not enjoy that. Some may think you feel older and manning up by addressing the situation. For me, it was emasculating to view my father that way (like I was playing a dirty trick on a good man), and to consider what time may do to me, but it was no longer safe.
    I went through the same thing with my Dad. My childhood memories of him, is he protecting me. He was a great family man, definitely a good guy, stoutly built, good-natured but quick to anger if someone was up to some foolishness. We (mother and kids) trusted him wholeheartedly with our lives and well-being.

As he got older, fragile, and vulnerable, I did my best to watch over his well-being, especially his health care. His access to guns, was a safety concern, not only for him but for us. We made the right decision, I'd do it again if I had to, in fact my kids may have to do it to me?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I keep my handgun out of reach when I sleep. I have very angry dreams a lot and I will wake up often punching the crap out of my bed or pillow. One of the last times I did that when I woke up fully I realized my wife was awake on the other side of the bed looking at me like I was crazy (so far I have never hit her).

I have shot/killed BGs in my dreams but the worst by far is being shot, it is often so real that I will wake up and look for bullet holes.

To the OP I think you did the right thing with your father's guns.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail...But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn we screwed up".

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    This thread is a bit spooky. I also have vivid dreams. And in very stressful times, I sleep walk. I've never even considered what that might mean with a weapon in the night stand.....but I am now.

Ditto that! I keep a gun on my nightstand next to my bed. No bullet chambered and the magazine is not fully clipped in either... it's in ... just not clipped in. My dog sleeps in my room and he will bark if he hears anything.... plus I have a deadlock on my bedroom door so a BG isn't getting into my room without me having a little advance notice.

This thread has me thinking I need to move my gun into my dresser drawer, which I would have to walk 5 feet to get to. Between my dog and the deadlock on my door I'm still pretty confident I could get to my dresser drawer in time to get my gun if the need arises.

Good thread...

When I used to fight competitively I was always told by the GF that I would punch and jerk my shoulder as if to throw a punch constantly in my sleep....and I used to ALWAYS dream i was fighting as well...I ended up socking her a few times accidentally in my sleep, but nothing hard that would cause her any bodily damage.

Once i stopped fighting competitively...the sleep fighting stopped.

I've had dreams to also where I had awoke to find myself still enacting out my dream....so i do believe it's completely plausible to pick up a gun and shoot it while sleeping. Maybe he just needs a nice glass of scotch and some happy meds to help him with his somber.
    guns rule

VIP Member

+1 2nd amend

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmend View Post

I have shot/killed BGs in my dreams but the worst by far is being shot, it is often so real that I will wake up and look for bullet holes.

To the OP I think you did the right thing with your father's guns.
    Interesting. Yes, "getting shot" in a dream can seem very real.

Not all that long ago I dreamed I was shot in the chest in an exchange of machine gun fire. In my dream I was face down in the mud with blood gushing out of my mouth. When I awoke I was prone in bed with stomach contents in my mouth and on the pillow-- apologies for anyone that grosses out. GERD, I guess.

Anyway, as I have written here before, I just don't want to risk keeping one too close at hand.

I do not sleep walk and any vivid dreams I have I dont move for anything just toss and turn etc. Only thing I know of is after a house was robbed on the road over from mine, my girlfriend at the time let out a blood curdling scream around like 6 am( she burned her hand pretty good on the stove) I jumped from bed noticed she wasnt there, grabbed the 40 and cleared the upstairs til I got to the kitchen and found her running her hand under cold water and some eggs burning in the pan... She said sorry for waking me and asked if I was going to shoot the stove for burning her.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links