Ever hear of anyone firing a gun during a dream.

This is a discussion on Ever hear of anyone firing a gun during a dream. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm no geriatric expert but let me first say that, my Dad lived to be 89 years old. In his later years he was taking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever hear of anyone firing a gun during a dream.

VIP Member

I'm no geriatric expert but let me first say that, my Dad lived to be 89 years old. In his later years he was taking quite a few meds, had some level of dementia, apparently had dreams so vivid he'd argue that they really happened. Earlier on, as his mental stability began to falter we were afraid he'd get confused, get a weapon and hurt someone or himself, so we moved them out of his range of travel in his house.

On to my story. An elderly cousin of mine, that lives alone told me this story as it happened to himself.

This cousin is in his late 70's, sharp as a tack, seems to be in very good mental and physical shape for his age. No drug/alcohol problem or background. Just a good guy, one you'd easily trust and a man of his word type of guy.

He told me he sleeps with his revolver nearby, and one night he had a dream that a gang of people were going around breaking into houses. In his dream they came to his house and he fired at them. The next morning he got up, instantly remembering the vivid dream and thinking how real it was. He started to leave his house then went back, opened the cylinder to his revolver and there was one empty cartridge case !!!!! He actually fired his gun in his sleep, shot through his bed and through the wooden floor. THE GUNFIRE NEVER WOKE HIM UP.

I admit this is hard for me to believe, but he is a trustworthy guy, and I believe his story. He has the bullet holes in his bed to prove it, and he told me he has very vivid dreams. It made me think of my Dad, and I knew we made a good decision at the right time.

This is SCARY, he was scared too. I suggested he get himself a bedside lockbox, maybe he'd fully wake up while trying to input the combination the next time he has some dream.

I guess one reason I'm posting this story, because some of you may have elderly relatives and this issue could happen to them at some point in their lives.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Never heard of it happening before, however I knew a Fire Capt. who had received a Silver Star for hand to hand action in Vietnam, who would on rare occasions have flashbacks chasing fellow firefighters around the station in his sleep thinking he was being overrun by Viet Cong.

We would come in at shift change on more than one occasion and find one of the guys with bruises starting and a goose egg on his head and say what's up? "Oh, Don had a bad night last night." I felt sorry for those guys, but they all took it in stride.

Good thing he didn't bring any firearms to work with him.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have very vivid dreams almost every night. I do not keep one in the chamber for this reason. I keep my Glock 27 close to me but being how crazy some of my dreams are I cannot risk the chance of pulling the trigger in my sleep.

I love to dream. It is one of my favorite things to do as I can control my dreams a lot of times. It is really cool when you realize you are dreaming and are able to take control of it but some of my dreams are just to damn real to keep one in the chamber. I have never awoke with my Glock in hand but it is something I cannot risk. My dreams are that vivid.

Yes, I could rack one into the chamber but I'm pretty sure that I would wake up at that point.

Administrator
    We (Seriously & No Joke) had a forum member on CombatCarry who dreamed that his phone was ringing and he "answered" his firearm which was on the nightstand.
    He did not pull the trigger but woke up with his gun alongside his head.

I'm glad that I personally am not a weird, vivid, dreamer like some folks out there.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'm glad that I personally am not a weird, vivid, dreamer like some folks out there.
    I enjoy having them to be honest. I can remember most of my dreams as well, which is pretty cool. Some are not fun to remember but others are.

Administrator
    I hardly ever remember any of mine...of course I hardly ever get much sleep so mine must be like "movie shorts" Cliff Notes Versions.

Though I have to admit sometimes when I come onto DefensiveCarry in the "wee hours" and read some of the titles of newly posted stuff...I could swear that I must be dreaming.

I suppose that we all have weird dreams from time to time. Sometimes I am in a gun fight being chased by the bad guys, then Murphy's law sets in - I am out of ammo, my gun jams, etc., and then I always wake up before I am put away - What a relief.

Other recurring dreams are about rattlesnakes that we used to catch when I was a boy. Another occasional re-occuring dream is enduring artillery shelling (a recurrence no doubt from my time on the DMZ in Vietnam). In the long run these dreams are harmless, and sometimes are educational. What is disturbing is hearing about those stories of guys who react to their dreams physically during and after their dreams. Now that is scary.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Thatís scary. I am just glad my girlfriend does not do anything physical in her dreams. I imagine it would be bad if she dreamed she was being chased by steaks again ( she is a vegetarian) and got out of bed and ran. Anywise I am glad that I usually dream about fishing.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I don't sleep well, and I used to sleepwalk a fair amount. So, I keep my guns out of reach when I go to bed (along with my alarms).

Would I shoot it in my sleep? Don't know. But other things have shown it to be wise to play it safe.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I've had dreams with guns but i can never get mine to fire. what's that say about me?

Most of my dreams where I've had SD scenarios I pull the trigger, but like joshe, the gun won't fire! Strange we've had the same situation in our dreams... I think I can only remember 1 in the last year that actually the gun fired, but in my dream the big dog that was chasing me just kept coming even after emptying my 13 rounds of .40 into it like it was nothing!

Weird.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Mines in a Serpa holster beside the bed. I don't like the thought of grabbing for an unholstered gun in the dark. Never thought of shooting it in my sleep though. Interesting.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sounds like your cousin needs to take a few precautions. Very scary situation!

I've heard a few stories about people dreaming but nothing that hit close to home. My dreams have woken me up once or twice but that's about it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    "I've had dreams with guns but i can never get mine to fire. what's that say about me?"

Ver Ist Dr. Zigmund Ven You Need Him?

I've woke up a couple of times W/ the gun in hand but I've never fired it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links