Garage security advice needed...

This is a discussion on Garage security advice needed... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Once again, Smitty is all over the issue like stink on a monkey. That's about as simple a solution as it gets....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garage security advice needed...

Once again, Smitty is all over the issue like stink on a monkey. That's about as simple a solution as it gets.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Bugdude,
    We could add ADT to garage, but income is now pretty limited. A motion sensor would have been appropriate had we gone that route. We also have a barn, that has had garden supplies taken from it. Our "visits" have been at night from two known thieves. I want to catch them in act and prosecute.

gasmitty,
    Good idea! I might try it if I can't find that intercom. Good skill set ya got there...

ramrunner,
    Thanx, but sounds expensive. We have had to change our lifestyle and now make sure someone is always home.Until we can move its the only sure way of keeping our home from being burglarized. This has gone on for quite awhile now and these vermin are determined. We have a nice home in a depressed area so I think they must believe we're loaded...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Home Depot sells an "approach alarm" designed for warning you of people approaching your door (or elsewhere) It's basically a motion detector that xmits to a warning receiver inside. No pics or sounds to worry about. I don't know the range it has but might be worth looking into. Anyone goes inside, it warns you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Oldvet,
    Thanx. I bought same one out of Sportsmans Guide when problems started. It covers the front of the garage and walkway to house. It works very well, AA bats last about 6 months.Looking for one that identifies specific zone, so we can cover area around whole house.
    Had two sensors, one that was'nt on camera was deliberately smashed. I have one floodlight in the back with a camera that has been smashed too. It illuminated the whole backyard. My point is to overlap sensors at choke points with a camera so they'll not be rendered useless. A good dog is far better and needs no batteries.Incidents are not as often since we cut back woods about 60 yds and installed this stuff. Had a verbal confrontation with main offender after he scared the hell out of my wife. He and two others saw me leave with my sons to go hunting. My wife was home alone and saw these guys come down the road knocking on each door. then parked adjacent our home facing it. They must have thought the coast was clear. Pulled into driveway. My wife stupidly did not call police or arm herself. She obviously surprised them. The guy who knew we lived there quickly said he was looking for a fictitious person and left. After notifying police we've had no recent attempts. Don't know if they approached him or not. no charges possible.This guy's daughter charged with burglary, brother a convict for same, his best friend who we think was in vehicle on probation for theft. Past 1rst degree burglary conviction. So we now know all the players.Definitely planning on moving...

It's just hard to beat a good watchdog...

When all else fails...place a 'trip wire' at threshold of garage door attatched to 'claymores' around the garage...
    Yes,
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 13th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

retsupt99,
    I know your joking but I'll add we've been very careful to be legal in every respect in all of this. If we ever end up in court we do not want to look like we provoked any of this.

Ya know a trip wire isnt a bad idea, but instead of a claymore how about a dye pak?? If you get robbed tell the cops to go check out who you suspect..
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Sounds like you're in a tough spot. Put some hot lead in the fools and save the state and yourselves some money.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Kind of what I was thinking. A .45 and a shovel. Would anyone really miss them?
    Like the dye pack idea though. "Officer, just look for the purple gang!"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

sigP250,
    Found that intercom on ebay NIB old version. shipped for $54. So Thank you Sir! There's one left over there if anyone's interested. I'll wire up the stereo/mike to cover back of house. Intercom in garage. Both ''zones"will be covered/monitored, cheap and effective...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    sigP250,
    Found that intercom on ebay NIB old version. shipped for $54. So Thank you Sir! There's one left over there if anyone's interested. I'll wire up the stereo/mike to cover back of house. Intercom in garage. Both ''zones"will be covered/monitored, cheap and effective...
    Hey, that's great. I hope it all works out for you. Now you need a plan for what to do when you catch what ever is out there.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Have you looked into a game camera? You can usually find them in a dark OD or a black and blend them into the surroundings at night, triggered by motion with an IR flash you'll at least have the evidence of any trespassing, they can take a little bit of a beating too. The NYSP used one to photograph a fugitive, to see if he was returning to his house at night, and they caught him, he took a log and smashed it up good but they still had the evidence. It would be something concrete to confirm your story to the police, fasten it to a wall opposing the door or put one or two on the tree line around the yard.

Same as the microphone, you should be able to find a sub $100, and quite possibly sub $40 cctv (often times with IR for images in total darkness) camera that you can run hardwired, back to the house, put it on a little monitor by your bed (craigslist free or dirt cheap tv) and turn it on so you can see what you're hearing, this would also be something that you can hook up to a cheap DVR (available on ebay, records on SD cards). Again this helps you build evidence that you can take to the police.

Repair the lights around the house and if the garage it powered put at least one light in it on a motion sensor switch (should be able to get them from home depot or similar); they make break the lights, but it sounds like those same lights are keeping them out of the house at night as well.

All some low tech solutions that will make your house considerably more of a hard target, hard enough and eventually they may look elsewhere instead.

Glock Certified Armorer

SigP250,
    The early warning will only serve advance warning to call police. Problem is they can not get down our road without being heard. We've been through this before and these guys get to the woods and disappear. I have cut back the wood line behind us from 25 yd to now about 60. But i do not own woods in front of our house. But I now have a better idea of there route. So I guess a trail cam might work at a choke point. One 2 occasions screens were removed from basement windows while we were home and leaned against side of house. One kitchen window while we were away.No entry. Two attempts to remove screens from my kids windows, while we were home. The house is clearly marked with ADT signs. One officer thought these were just attempts to activate our alarm. Since then the garage door had a pry bar put under it. They broke the auto door opener gears but door only went up about 6-7 inches. No entry made. On same incident a wooden pallet was leaned against side of garage and 6 ft of soffet removed. When I found this I stepped on pallet and could stick my head up enough to see inside garage on one side.These guys could have forced entry but guess they were trying to be quiet. Can't cover everything with cameras and they suck at night. Grainy , only got top of one of their head on one night. This last time they watched until they thought the place was empty . Had my wife not confronted them, I have no doubt they'd have just kicked in a door. For over a year now, we park our cars in the garage when we come home. This had good results as they would drive by slow looking HARD. Not illegal though. Until now we get visits every couple weeks. I had hoped they'd give up, might have. Nothing since talking with the father. But its been persistent so I'm not very hopeful.

canave844,
    Need one with no flash or red glow. Don't know how i'd conceal it. to be effective it'll need to be high enough off ground. I'd like one that might be able to send images to my computer. They all look big, easy to spot. I think my $4-500 bucks would probably get smashed or taken.

As long as I'm giving a history of this. We think our first incident with this person was two years ago. At about 230am my son came into my bedroom and says someones on the front porch. I tell him to be quiet and sit on my bed. I get dressed watching front door, 870 in hand. Storm door opened, guy reaches up and holds chain that kinda knocks against the glass at top.On comes a small flashlight with a red filter on it. He shines it through the door glass. Looking around the area around door/living room.He specifically looks at deadbolt area, its a Slage w/ side tumblers. Cost me $250 bucks, but worth it btw. After about 2 minutes he slowly closed storm door and left porch. I repositioned myself to watch back door and waited. Never came around back.At the time we thought it was kids possibly behind us. We had harassment issues. But they acted totally different than this guy. Loud, clumsy. All I could see of this guy(he was back lit from a camp light adjacent our house)was he was tall .Medium build.Just like our present offender.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links