Garage security advice needed...

This is a discussion on Garage security advice needed... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 1911srule SigP250, The early warning will only serve advance warning to call police. Problem is they can not get down our road ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garage security advice needed...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    SigP250,
    The early warning will only serve advance warning to call police. Problem is they can not get down our road without being heard. We've been through this before and these guys get to the woods and disappear. I have cut back the wood line behind us from 25 yd to now about 60. But i do not own woods in front of our house. But I now have a better idea of there route. So I guess a trail cam might work at a choke point. One 2 occasions screens were removed from basement windows while we were home and leaned against side of house. One kitchen window while we were away.No entry. Two attempts to remove screens from my kids windows, while we were home. The house is clearly marked with ADT signs. One officer thought these were just attempts to activate our alarm. Since then the garage door had a pry bar put under it. They broke the auto door opener gears but door only went up about 6-7 inches. No entry made. On same incident a wooden pallet was leaned against side of garage and 6 ft of soffet removed. When I found this I stepped on pallet and could stick my head up enough to see inside garage on one side.These guys could have forced entry but guess they were trying to be quiet. Can't cover everything with cameras and they suck at night. Grainy , only got top of one of their head on one night. This last time they watched until they thought the place was empty . Had my wife not confronted them, I have no doubt they'd have just kicked in a door. For over a year now, we park our cars in the garage when we come home. This had good results as they would drive by slow looking HARD. Not illegal though. Until now we get visits every couple weeks. I had hoped they'd give up, might have. Nothing since talking with the father. But its been persistent so I'm not very hopeful.

canave844,
    Need one with no flash or red glow. Don't know how i'd conceal it. to be effective it'll need to be high enough off ground. I'd like one that might be able to send images to my computer. They all look big, easy to spot. I think my $4-500 bucks would probably get smashed or taken.
    I would make some bars for the basement windows. 1/8" x 1" steel. Space 8" o.c. Secure from exterior side with security screws.

You can't use traps but you can use barbed wire or razor wire at the tree line.

I hate thieves. You can't shoot em. I don't know if it is legal in PA to detain them until the cops get there.

Good luck.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

SigP250,
    We bought pyracantha coccinea(firethorn)to plant along property lines. Can't plant till fall, but it'll be better than a fence. Hope it grows FAST. Been trying to trim treeline between neighbors so we're not so secluded from view. Gonna put in split rail fence in front and one side, plant more firethorn at its base to give it something to climb. Maybe a cattle fence along back woodline. At least it might keep neighbors dogs from mining our lawnCan't do bars. Those windows are alarmed, also have a motion sensor there.Nobody would get in unannounced.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    SigP250,
    We bought pyracantha coccinea(firethorn)to plant along property lines. Can't plant till fall, but it'll be better than a fence. Hope it grows FAST. Been trying to trim treeline between neighbors so we're not so secluded from view. Gonna put in split rail fence in front and one side, plant more firethorn at its base to give it something to climb. Maybe a cattle fence along back woodline. At least it might keep neighbors dogs from mining our lawnCan't do bars. Those windows are alarmed, also have a motion sensor there.Nobody would get in unannounced.
    I like your ideas. The thorn bushes are good. May take 5 years, but good. +1 on the cattle fence too but electrified.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Big ol rusty bear traps..

blastissmo,
    I had thought of getting a trapping license and using conebear#330 for coyotes that come around. But dogs are around and would not want to hurt someones dog. It has a 10 jaw spread, $20/each btw, but too much liability imo

Update, received intercom. Works great, just need to adapt with longer wire to get to my nightstand from garage. Came with only 66 ft, but device is NIB vintage. Replaced floodlight in back yesterday. A guy who owns a camp behind us is fixing camp up to move into full time. Escaping from the city. It may be nice having an extra set of eyes. Gonna touch base with him...

Land mines!
    Rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

We are trying to move. Things have cooled down since confronting father of problem family. The chicken **** blamed his sons, both in their thirties and denied none of my allegations. I had waited until I had enough incidents logged. Did'nt want to go off half cocked. We stopped calling police. They likely put us on the "crank list" because of constant calls over two yrs about a couple other kids behind us. Teenage / harassment bs. I'm sure they quizzed our two neighbors, both of which we've had disputes with over their dogs. So I doubt they had good things to say. We've learned valuable lessons about the NECESSITY of living next to decent people and getting along. But anyway its a bad area and past time to go...

VIP Member
    I bet the two sons are both named Daryl
    - Zen Saying

If you don't mind simplicity and a lot of noise there are several devices that act as door alarm sensors outputting about 100 decibles when activated. The other thing I would recommend is a motion sensor on you internal garage lights. BG's hate light. You could also do a wireless camera in the corner that will caught images once the lights come on.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

I know this would probably be tough for you seeing as I assume you have a day job, but posting up hidden in the woods and catching them in the act would work :)

I'll get a crew together and come help

Seriously though I hope you can get out of there soon, sounds like a shite neighborhood. Hell it's just a hood without good neighbors.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Shackleton,
    Sometimes nothing happens for a few weeks/ months here. Besides you cannot detain someone here without risk of a charge. IE; kids doing harassment, are very likely to tell police " We were just crossing his property when he..." We are being purely defensive here. I'm not chasing anyone down. Besides it could seriously backfire so...no way. I also believe it has been intended in the past to bait me into something like that to get a criminal charge on ME. So nope ain't happening...

The other night after 10pm , my son took dog out to go. Our neighbor is on vacation and place is vacant. My son heard someone trip near the neighbors deck. At same time an ATV was started and turned off near his garage. The neighbor has ATV's in his garage and theres an ongoing problem with kids siphoning gas. Last fall we turned on flood lights and a kid with a metal 5 gl can ran up through woods. Neighbor says they drained all gas from his boats. We keep our vehicles locked in garage because of this and vandalism in past. We figured whoever it was turned off ATV when they saw my son come outside. So when he told me I turned on front flood light and stepped out on front deck hoping theyd hold tight while we called police. They did. It took SP about twenty minutes to arrive. Just before the police pull up out front my wife had been watching neighbors place out window.She sees someone using a flashlight next to garage. A white LED type, same as our problem kids I suspect have used before. I tell police who went over. My son says he hears someone behind us going down upper road toward suspected kids home, no lights. I'm guessing the two kids we suspect have been doing this all along pushed their ATV back home as police arrived. Police found nothing. You could tell they were skeptical which frustrated all of us.We do not get along with the neighbor, but feel obligated to look out for their property in their absence. I do not intend to tell him.Sometimes I wonder if he suspect OUR kids have done stuff around his home. He never talks to us and communicates dislike. Looked at another house for sale yesterday...Police asked who we suspected and I would not say. I told him about harassment history and it just stopped this year. We do not want to re-start all that again.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    you dont think he might change his communication and show some "like" if he found out you were watching his home and called the police on some suspected prowlers?...

bladenbullet,
    Not likely. Hes basically brain dead from his hobbies imho. Besides there is a grudge because we said some pretty mean sh*t when we knew he was listening to some conversations on our back deck. I was angry because its almost impossible to sell our home when potential buyers see his dump next door. I've lost two that we know of. He told me once he did'nt want to get involved because he did'nt want those kids targeting him. " Better you than me". I warned him about the more serious threat from the burglar types that have been coming around our place. They went to his place to, and have inquired about HIS work schedule as well as ours. He just does'nt get it. Our other neighbor has not seen anything and imo thinks we're exaggerating or something. Problem is according to him , hes acquainted with the SP and if they were to ask his opinion it could explain the lack of cooperation we had in the past. Bottom line we have no support from neighbors, instead they are enabling the problem...
    *note- I believe the ones who cased the place who are also family friends of those kids. May have thought if they burglarized our place, we'd just blame the kids. I call 'em kids, one is 21, his brother 18+. To me its obvious if someone asks out of norm question like they had about schedules, route to work , ect. Then immediately drives by looking hard after we go to work. Its a no brainer...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links