Wife declares g26 too ''wimpy'' for bedside gun - Page 2

Wife declares g26 too ''wimpy'' for bedside gun

This is a discussion on Wife declares g26 too ''wimpy'' for bedside gun within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can't say as I disagree with the idea of using a carbine for home defense. I do disagree with the fact that people think ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wife declares g26 too ''wimpy'' for bedside gun

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    I can't say as I disagree with the idea of using a carbine for home defense. I do disagree with the fact that people think it's too much for in a home. There is frangible ammunition available for civilian purchase that addresses the 'over-penetration' issue. Besides, if there's an intruder in your home and the cops get called, you can dang-well bet that there'll be at least one of the cops armed with some kind of a carbine too. Their ammunition isn't frangible!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Bless you wife's heart!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Does she have any sisters?
    marcclarke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    After shooting the 30-30, her eyes lit up and she would not give it back! Then she began shooting the AR, and she went ballistic! She accused me of intentionaly keeping these away from her!
    There are definitely worse things. That certainly removes one of the big hurdles that many people face when attempting to set an effective defensive plan.

Sounds like you won't have to worry about caliber, then. Instead, pick the correct weapon for the scenario and then train, train, train. Congrats.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm going to add another vote for the Mossberg 500.
    Here's my current HD setup; Mossy 500 pistol grip, tac light, 7+1 in the pipe, and 4 more on the side saddle. 00 buck.
    Springfield XD9 with Crimson Trace laser grip and tac light, 15+1 and another 15 nearby. 147 gr JHP.
    Attached Images

The AR-15 for many is just about the perfect home defense gun. Much more manageable than a 12 ga. shotgun for just about everyone. Easier for men, and especially true for women.

Collapsible stock versions are much easier to wield in close quarters. Much easier to maintain retention of the gun in a gun grab situation. And with the proper ammunition much less over penetration and less chance of exiting the home than any 12 ga. 00 buck or slug round.

If you have any doubts, I urge you to take a weekend defensive carbine class and you'll really see it come into it's own and know first hand what the benefits really are.

To say an AR-15 is a poor home defense choice out of hand without any personal knowledge or experience with it is usually based on hearsay and myths from people who do not know any better. Even our swat team dumped their MP-5's in favor of M-4 Carbines with three round burst.

I agree completely with jwhite75's ammo recommendations. Federal's low recoil personal defense 12 ga. rounds are fine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Get her the 870 Home Defense they are running about 280 in most shops. Also maybe look at an 870 Youth in 20 gauge. She probably will like the simplicity and you get to keep you rifles. Other wise I would look at the Hornady TAP and Critical Defense rounds.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Shotgun :: Buckshot :: 12 ga 00 Buckshot Critical Defense®

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 30-30 Win :: 30-30 Win 150 gr GMX® LEVERevolution®

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 223 Rem :: 223 Rem 55 gr TAP® FPD™
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Who says that an AR15A2 is not good for home defense? I had no problems clearing homes in the military with this. Come to think of it, I also used M69 frag grenades. Hope she does not read this.
    Last edited by Madeyefergy; May 13th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: Psalm 111:10

I Thought 15 124 Gr BJHPs would be more than enough for home defense :/

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Does she have any sisters?
    You beat me to it , does she have 2 sisters ???

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I am now in the mountains of west va visiting a friend and am on the iPhone. Before I left, I loaded up some hornady ballistic tips and shot a few to make sure the cycled properly. Then I left her with the AR and came up here to visit afriend. I will look onto this more with Mrs Rambo when I get home. She does have 2 sisters, but they are taken, sorry. Keep the suggestions coming....thanks guys!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    My Sigma is my bed side gun until I can get to the big boy 870 loaded with slugs. You don't want to be bit by that.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

She does have 2 sisters, but they are taken, sorry. Keep the suggestions coming....thanks guys!
    Nooooooo!
    She's gotta have friends though right?!

Maybe you could hook her up with one of these Beta-mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Nooooooo!
    She's gotta have friends though right?!

Maybe you could hook her up with one of these Beta-mags.
    Your supposed to be helpin me. Lol! If i let her see that, she would probably want it!

Wink

Your supposed to be helpin me. Lol! If i let her see that, she would probably want it!
    Heck, if you introduced me to one of her single friends, I'd be glad to get one for her.

Sir, you're going to have an interesting and colorful life.

Bless you both and start thinking saving for grenade launchers and .50 calibers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links