Defensive Carry banner

Wife declares g26 too ''wimpy'' for bedside gun

5K views 39 replies 30 participants last post by  G-man* 
#1 ·
Yesterday I and my wife went out for our regular practice session, and I took several longguns as well as our regular carry/home defense guns. After we had shot a couple hundred rounds through the glocks and 357s, I took out my AR15 A2 model and 30-30 to verify the zero. She was curious and wanted to shoot both of them as well. After shooting the 30-30, her eyes lit up and she would not give it back! Then she began shooting the AR, and she went ballistic! She accused me of intentionaly keeping these away from her! She now demands, that her bedside gun be the AR or 30-30, saying that all my handguns are for wimps, and she wants and likes the power of the rifles! Any suggestions on home defense loads for these? When mama wants, she gets!

#3 ·
don't know about using ar's and 30-30 for HD. yeah it's not "whimpy". but for close quarters like your home, it might not be the best option. i'm sure the experts here can elaborate more. i think 15 rounds of 9mm JHP is more than enough unless, you're expecting zombies!!!
When mama wants, she gets!
now you have a reason to buy a mossy 500 cruiser!:danceban:

Attachments

#6 ·
Get her the 870 Home Defense they are running about 280 in most shops. Also maybe look at an 870 Youth in 20 gauge. She probably will like the simplicity and you get to keep you rifles. Other wise I would look at the Hornady TAP and Critical Defense rounds.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Shotgun :: Buckshot :: 12 ga 00 Buckshot Critical Defense®

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 30-30 Win :: 30-30 Win 150 gr GMX® LEVERevolution®

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 223 Rem :: 223 Rem 55 gr TAP® FPD™

#21 ·
The AR-15 for many is just about the perfect home defense gun. Much more manageable than a 12 ga. shotgun for just about everyone. Easier for men, and especially true for women.

Collapsible stock versions are much easier to wield in close quarters. Much easier to maintain retention of the gun in a gun grab situation. And with the proper ammunition much less over penetration and less chance of exiting the home than any 12 ga. 00 buck or slug round.

If you have any doubts, I urge you to take a weekend defensive carbine class and you'll really see it come into it's own and know first hand what the benefits really are.

To say an AR-15 is a poor home defense choice out of hand without any personal knowledge or experience with it is usually based on hearsay and myths from people who do not know any better. Even our swat team dumped their MP-5's in favor of M-4 Carbines with three round burst.

I agree completely with jwhite75's ammo recommendations. Federal's low recoil personal defense 12 ga. rounds are fine as well.

#7 ·
Upgrade the Pistol!

I would second that a rifle for in the house may be a little unwieldy, shot gun is probably better... Mrs. Rambo may like this:

Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97S Pistol

Bushmaster - Home Defense & Recreation Rifles

#10 ·
:haha: I would have paid to see the look on your face when she called your HD "wimpy" :haha:

I agree you should let her try a nice 12ga on for size :image035:

#13 ·
For .223, I use the 64gr PowerPoint (handloaded of course).

For .30-30, I would use lead bullets for sure. Nice and soft around a 12 BHN for expansion.

For shotguns, use #1 buckshot. Far superior overall versus any other size buckshot according to the IWBA testing.

The only thing I hate about .223 for defense or interior work is the increase in blast and noise (which is why mine is suppressed). A .30-30 or shotgun will be quieter.

#15 ·
As many of you already know, I despise shotguns for home defense.

Carbines are safer, handier, more lethal and easier to learn on/deploy under stress.

Search my posts if you want to know more. Anything a shotgun can do at close range, a carbine can do as good, if not better.

Get an AR carbine in 5.56, with a 62-75 grain round and don't look back.

#16 ·
I can't say as I disagree with the idea of using a carbine for home defense. I do disagree with the fact that people think it's too much for in a home. There is frangible ammunition available for civilian purchase that addresses the 'over-penetration' issue. Besides, if there's an intruder in your home and the cops get called, you can dang-well bet that there'll be at least one of the cops armed with some kind of a carbine too. Their ammunition isn't frangible!!

#24 ·
You beat me to it , does she have 2 sisters ???

#19 ·
After shooting the 30-30, her eyes lit up and she would not give it back! Then she began shooting the AR, and she went ballistic! She accused me of intentionaly keeping these away from her!
There are definitely worse things. That certainly removes one of the big hurdles that many people face when attempting to set an effective defensive plan.

Sounds like you won't have to worry about caliber, then. Instead, pick the correct weapon for the scenario and then train, train, train. Congrats. :bier:

#25 ·
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I am now in the mountains of west va visiting a friend and am on the iPhone. Before I left, I loaded up some hornady ballistic tips and shot a few to make sure the cycled properly. Then I left her with the AR and came up here to visit afriend. I will look onto this more with Mrs Rambo when I get home. She does have 2 sisters, but they are taken, sorry. Keep the suggestions coming....thanks guys!

#30 ·
Sir, you're going to have an interesting and colorful life.

Bless you both and start thinking saving for grenade launchers and .50 calibers :danceban:

#31 ·
Just called my wife and I am now worried. She said that she places the AR on my side of the bed when she sleeps because it is too far out of reach sitting in the corner. I am going home in the morning because I think we have a problem. She also said she wants to hit the range again to shoot the AR. Is it possible I am losing my wife to a gun?

#32 ·
I don't think you'll lose her to a gun.

However, you may want to be careful about not upsetting her very much... :wink:

#34 ·
I am very careful around her. If you could see how she handles a horse and makes it do what she wants, you would know what I mean. But I am lucky to have a woman that shares my interests and is beautiful without being a powder puff. It's good to know your woman can hold the fort down while your gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.