Wife declares g26 too ''wimpy'' for bedside gun

This is a discussion on Wife declares g26 too ''wimpy'' for bedside gun within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday I and my wife went out for our regular practice session, and I took several longguns as well as our regular carry/home defense guns. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wife declares g26 too ''wimpy'' for bedside gun

Yesterday I and my wife went out for our regular practice session, and I took several longguns as well as our regular carry/home defense guns. After we had shot a couple hundred rounds through the glocks and 357s, I took out my AR15 A2 model and 30-30 to verify the zero. She was curious and wanted to shoot both of them as well. After shooting the 30-30, her eyes lit up and she would not give it back! Then she began shooting the AR, and she went ballistic! She accused me of intentionaly keeping these away from her! She now demands, that her bedside gun be the AR or 30-30, saying that all my handguns are for wimps, and she wants and likes the power of the rifles! Any suggestions on home defense loads for these? When mama wants, she gets!

Yes, it a 870 loaded with 00 buck. One taste of that and she will trow rocks at your rifles.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

don't know about using ar's and 30-30 for HD. yeah it's not "whimpy". but for close quarters like your home, it might not be the best option. i'm sure the experts here can elaborate more. i think 15 rounds of 9mm JHP is more than enough unless, you're expecting zombies!!!
    When mama wants, she gets!
    now you have a reason to buy a mossy 500 cruiser!
    Attached Images
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yesterday I and my wife went out for our regular practice session, and I took several longguns as well as our regular carry/home defense guns. After we had shot a couple hundred rounds through the glocks and 357s, I took out my AR15 A2 model and 30-30 to verify the zero. She was curious and wanted to shoot both of them as well. After shooting the 30-30, her eyes lit up and she would not give it back! Then she began shooting the AR, and she went ballistic! She accused me of intentionaly keeping these away from her! She now demands, that her bedside gun be the AR or 30-30, saying that all my handguns are for wimps, and she wants and likes the power of the rifles! Any suggestions on home defense loads for these? When mama wants, she gets!
    Man, you got problems!
    I've no suggestion for ammo for these 2, but you will need to get another AR and another 30-30.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

That's a good problem to have. Have her shoot some 00 buckshot and see if her lust for firepower is satisfied :-)

Get her the 870 Home Defense they are running about 280 in most shops. Also maybe look at an 870 Youth in 20 gauge. She probably will like the simplicity and you get to keep you rifles. Other wise I would look at the Hornady TAP and Critical Defense rounds.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Shotgun :: Buckshot :: 12 ga 00 Buckshot Critical Defense®

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 30-30 Win :: 30-30 Win 150 gr GMX® LEVERevolution®

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 223 Rem :: 223 Rem 55 gr TAP® FPD™
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

cmb

Upgrade the Pistol!

I would second that a rifle for in the house may be a little unwieldy, shot gun is probably better... Mrs. Rambo may like this:

Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97S Pistol

Bushmaster - Home Defense & Recreation Rifles

Good ideas. Thanks!

if you are going to go with a 'big gun' for home defense, a shotty is certainly the way to go. i wouldnt be using an AR thats for sure. Personally I'll stick with the handgun
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I would have paid to see the look on your face when she called your HD "wimpy"

I agree you should let her try a nice 12ga on for size
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    Personally I'll stick with the handgun
    Ditto. I have a Mossberg 500 at the ready, but as far as maneuvering through the house, I prefer a handgun for home defense. Better for turning corners.

3'' double odd buck will satisfy her lust for recoil, and wont put holes in you neighbors house down the road in a HD situation. 30 cal keeps going and going and going and going!
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

For .223, I use the 64gr PowerPoint (handloaded of course).

For .30-30, I would use lead bullets for sure. Nice and soft around a 12 BHN for expansion.

For shotguns, use #1 buckshot. Far superior overall versus any other size buckshot according to the IWBA testing.

The only thing I hate about .223 for defense or interior work is the increase in blast and noise (which is why mine is suppressed). A .30-30 or shotgun will be quieter.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

As many of you already know, I despise shotguns for home defense.

Carbines are safer, handier, more lethal and easier to learn on/deploy under stress.

Search my posts if you want to know more. Anything a shotgun can do at close range, a carbine can do as good, if not better.

Get an AR carbine in 5.56, with a 62-75 grain round and don't look back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links