Staying overnight at someone else's house.

This is a discussion on Staying overnight at someone else's house. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would imagine a good light would be pretty important for use in an unfamiliar location. You might need to find your way around just ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staying overnight at someone else's house.

I would imagine a good light would be pretty important for use in an unfamiliar location. You might need to find your way around just as much as to ID a target (or a non target). One scenario that comes to mind is if you might be out and have too much to drink to be able to drive home. In that case I most likely wouldn't be CCW but that might be one to consider too.

2. Remove Ads

I've never spent the night at anyone else's home since I started carrying.
    Hotels are a different story.
    I suppose anyone who knows me well enough to have me sleep at their home, would know me well enough to know I'm likely armed.
    Guess I never gave it thought.
    Just like I'd never given thought to asking anyone staying in my home what they might be bringing in.
    I suppose we'd know each other well enough to know that neither of us would bring anything into the home of the other that would be frowned upon.

Administrator
    I don't stay at friends homes often, but when I do, I'll tuck what ever I'm carrying just inside my backpack much like what the OP described. I always travel with a lockable pistol rug, (much like a bank's courier bag) in case I need to secure my pistol for whatever reason.
    I pretty much adopt the "don't ask don't tell methods, as a few of the inlaws would drop a brick if they knew I carried in their perfect crime proof homes. So as far as defending their home, forget it. I'll defend me and mine under their roof, but they are on their own. I respect the homeowners wishes. If they wished to stick their heads in the sand to be slaughtered, that is their business.
    "Just blame Sixto"

if i am going to stay at someones house, i stick my COM safe (small lockable box i keep in my car) with me. I carry during the day (duh) and at night I either lock it in the safe or put it in an appropriate unlocked location.
    I keep it unlocked only if either I can lock my room, or I know the person very well and they are a fellow pistol carrying buddy.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't stay at friends homes often, but when I do, I'll tuck what ever I'm carrying just inside my backpack much like what the OP described. I always travel with a lockable pistol rug, (much like a bank's courier bag) in case I need to secure my pistol for whatever reason.
    I pretty much adopt the "don't ask don't tell methods, as a few of the inlaws would drop a brick if they knew I carried in their perfect crime proof homes. So as far as defending their home, forget it. I'll defend me and mine under their roof, but they are on their own. I respect the homeowners wishes. If they wished to stick their heads in the sand to be slaughtered, that is their business.
    Same here.

If I know I'll be at someone's house whom I barely know, which is rarely, then I secure the XD .45 in the car, and the Keltec P3AT at least is in my jeans/pants pocket while I'm "visiting" for the evening.
    Most of my in-laws/friends/associates carry anyway, so I usually have the XD on, but there have been situations where I at least have my "pocketpistol" concealed in my pocket. At bedtime, I simply took off my jeans, folded them in half, and placed them under the covers beside me, with the P3AT still in the pocket. That way, the jeans aren't in the floor, for someone to pick up if I was asleep, but secure beside me, under the covers. Get up in the morning, put jeans on, weapon is in place, ensure it's locked and loaded for the hell of it, (haaabit), yada yada.

I don't trust anyone else, on planet Earth, to protect me. The last time I truly did that, I was wearing a military uniform.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    if i am going to stay at someones house, i stick my COM safe (small lockable box i keep in my car) with me.
    +1 on the COM safe. I have one locked down in the car, and an identically keyed one goes in my travel bag any time I'm traveling. Gives you the option of having it locked, or unlocked and closed while sitting in or on top of the bag, and looks completely inane.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links