Staying overnight at someone else's house.

This is a discussion on Staying overnight at someone else's house. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We have ample discussion here about what is our bedside set-up in our homes. What gun do you have? Flashlight? Shotgun vs Rifle? Within reach? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying overnight at someone else's house.

VIP Member

Staying overnight at someone else's house.

We have ample discussion here about what is our bedside set-up in our homes. What gun do you have? Flashlight? Shotgun vs Rifle? Within reach? Locked up or not? etc etc.

So what do you do when you happen to spend the night at someone else's house. Presuming you were invited !

I typically travel with a soft, carry-on type of travel bag. My bedside pistol goes in that bag. When I retire for the evening, my travel bag is on the floor right next to me, the pistol is in the unzipped bag near the top. My cell phone and flashlight are on the floor also, I don't want to be reaching in the dark in a strange place and knock either one over. When I'm not around the bag, it's zipped up and locked with my travel lock.

I don't advertise what I'm doing, those folks that invite me would be surprised if I didn't have a gun, so they expect it, they have their own. No big deal to any of us.

My main precaution is regarding households that have children. My second precaution is knowing that my hosts may be walking around their house during the night, and I don't care to walk around their house at night either.

If some troublesome noise suddenly arises, I'm on the alert, and will be doing my best to stay in my room. I'd rather make contact with the homeowner first.

I've never had a threat or problem away from home like that. However my son, while in college, was staying overnight with some friends and sleeping on the couch. He's a heavy sleeper but some slight noise in the early morning hours woke him up. He laid there and heard a bit more. He peeped up and looked over the back of the couch and could definitely see a shadowy figure near the sliding glass door (someone failed to lock it). My son is unarmed, in someone else's house and a burglar is about ten feet from him. So get these tactics..........he crouches behind the couch, grabbed whatever couch pillows were nearby and suddenly hurls them at the burglar while yelling profanities at him. The burglar flew outside and was gone.

They called the police to do a report, and the police told about a similar incident where the homeowner was a big guy, and saw someone easing in his sliding glass door at night. The homeowner happened to be nearby in the dark, and when the burglar stuck his hand through to separate the curtain, the homeowner grabbed the arm, pulled the burglar inside and whipped the tar out of him.

Impromptu decisions like that are very RISKY but they do happen.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

I would be courteous enough to at least inform/ask the home owner. There are certain assumptions that I'd frown on, were they made concerning what was brought into my home, without my consent.... and firearms would be among them.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Impromptu decisions like that are very RISKY but they do happen.

Very true. On the other hand, it's even more risky to allow the bad guy in and allow him/her to get a footing inside the house or a feeling for the place, better to take them off guard and make their life miserable and by surprise while the advantage is still yours.

When we stay at our kids house, we leave our weapons secured. We don't take a chance with our Grand Children and that's ok. They have said we can bring them in, but I'd rather not take a chance period. Now at our house when they visit, different story.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

The homeowner happened to be nearby in the dark, and when the burglar stuck his hand through to separate the curtain, the homeowner grabbed the arm, pulled the burglar inside and whipped the tar out of him.
    I don't think that was tar,I bet he had a underwear malfunction
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

All of my friends know if they get me, they get the gun also!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I've done this a couple times. Once it was some friends as they were having a sleep over for a birthday party; I still maintained the concealed is concealed train of thought, and kept it IWB all night until bedtime, where once I was in the room by myself, it became hidden in the suitcase just in case they did wake me up in the AM before I got up. They never knew. Other time was just me and another friend, and I had no problem letting them know I had it--was right next to the bed the whole time.
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

I'm a big believer in individuals property rights. You should get consent first.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    In Louisiana, one must have consent first, we've never experienced any problems with that.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't think that was tar,I bet he had a underwear malfunction
    You're right, I just couldn't quite remember the exact quote

In the absense of prior agreement/understanding, Common sense, and common courtesy, should be the rule.....ASK..... but that's just me, and how I would demand to be treated in my home.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    In Louisiana, one must have consent first, we've never experienced any problems with that.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcj
    In the absense of prior agreement/understanding, Common sense, and common courtesy, should be the rule.....ASK..... but that's just me, and how I would demand to be treated in my home.
    Sums it up nicely, IMHO...

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post

Exactly! If you come to my home, let it be known, that you are more then welcome and so is your weapon.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

So get these tactics..........he crouches behind the couch, grabbed whatever couch pillows were nearby and suddenly hurls them at the burglar while yelling profanities at him. The burglar flew outside and was gone.
    It worked , don't knock it.

I don't remember the last time I slept in someone else's home but if I did I would be armed

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    It worked , don't knock it.
    Oh, I wasn't knocking it, you have to do whatever you have to do with whatever you have at the time.

On DC we typically read about caliber, JHP, HP, magazine capacity, etc, I've never heard of couch pillows discussed in a defensive context.

I did ask him did they check the ER's for a wounded burglar? He said, "how would he be wounded", I replied "Rug burns from the pillow throws"

Seriously speaking, as I mentioned in the OP, that was my son. Rather than running out, the burglar could have fired at him or stuck him with a knife as he left. Scary thoughts when it's your kid and knowing he was so defenseless he had to use pillows to ward off a BG.

I carry in a SmartCarry 24/7/365 everywhere it's legal including other people's homes. No one knows I carry except my wife, so there is no problem. No one can access my gun but me, so kids are not a problem.

I don't ask people if they are offended by my gun, or my knife, or my flashlight, or my BIC pen, or my keys, or my toothbrush, or any other object that be used as a weapon.

What others are unaware of isn't offensive or scary to them. If there was danger and I saved them from harm I'm pretty sure they'd be happy about it (even if they don't like weapons).

Until then, especially for sheep (and some of my friends fall into that catagory), "Ignorance is bliss".

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links