A baseball bat for home defense - Page 3

A baseball bat for home defense

This is a discussion on A baseball bat for home defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Landric We seem to be making a lot of assumptions here. Lets reverse the situation. You are a guy who carries all ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    We seem to be making a lot of assumptions here. Lets reverse the situation. You are a guy who carries all the time and has multiple firearms for self-defense both in and outside your home. You have a get together at your home to which some people you don't know are invited. One of the people you don't know asks you about a bat in the living room. You tell him, in an indirect way, that you keep it for self protection. Does that fact that you don't mention your large collection of firearms mean they don't exist?
    That's a good point. I'm making my assumption based on his body language of extreme pride in his bat capabilities.

Maybe someday I'll get to know him better, and I may find out he does in fact have guns. I doubt it, but I could be wrong.

Years ago, when I was healthy, before I ever even thought of owning a gun, I had a break in. I was asleep with my girl friend when we heard a crashing from the living room. I had her dial 911 and I ran out with my HD protection at the time a bat.
    I ran out out to the living room with the bat, in my underware screaming. Let me add I'm a big boy. I scared the bleep out of two kids standing in my kitchen (don't know who was more scared). They ran, a few minutes later the cops showed up.

That was also 15 years ago in quiet neighborhood, way before home invasions were the norm.

If I tried to do the same thing now, I'd probably be dead. Glad now I have a 9 mm by the bed and a 12 gauge under it.

Andy
    shhhhh, librarian packing

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Movie "Signs"....

Quote Originally Posted by billzfx4 View Post
    Remember the movie "Signs"?

Swing away, Merrill, swing away!
    The key word is MOVIE...
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Actually a bat is ideal for home defense if the intruder is armed with baseballs.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The defense against a bat is to get close up, real close. Shoot them before they do.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Bats are OK as long as there 12Gauge. After you run out of shells , SWING AWAY!!!

Attached Images

During the Dark Days, when I lived in CA, I had an aluminum bat and a K-Bar next to the bed for SD; happily, I never had to try to protect us with them. After somebody got murdered around the corner, I got a Mossberg 500 and that was the end of my baseball career. Now that I'm home in Texas, I still have the bat and the knife -- in a box in the garage. In their place is a Springer 1911 ...
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." Claude Bastiat

"Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective.

Baseball bat- The original home defense weapon: A descendent of the cavemans club.

Seriously though, my wife's cousin has a baseball bat for home defense. Although, he has expressed interest in buying a pistol when I took him to a gun show earlier this year. He said he wanted to buy a piece to go shooting with me more often. Like was mentioned earlier, baseball bat with a plan, is better than nothing at all.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    We might make light of it folks and sure it's not the ideal weapon for defense, but as that say goes "Any Port in a Storm" folks.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    We might make light of it folks and sure it's not the ideal weapon for defense, but as that say goes "Any Port in a Storm" folks.
    Well, there are ports and there are ports. Choosing a bat as a "port" for an attack (ie, a violent home-invasion with guns) is that it's a very rocky cove barely recognizable as a port, at least when considering its lack of ability to reach out and touch someone.

If nothing else were in the house or affordable, I too would likely have one around. But the "fine print" would have to include caveats about its limited ability to effectively deal with what criminals very often bring to crimes of violence: firearms. Hard to get around that except with a plan, tactics and tools that can surmount an attack involving firearms.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'd say the only upside of a bat is that it's easy to get and easy to "conceal" .... if I were to toss one in my truck tomorrow, the cops wouldn't ask me for a license to have it.
    Nobody's ever raised an eyebrow about my multitude of tire tools *cough cough* but I wouldn't want to face a gunfight with a lug wrench, ya know?

Me thinks baseball bat toting homeowner has never really THOUGHT his plan through. Or perhaps he's just never had someone break in while his wife/daughter was home alone --- that'll change your gun opinions really quick!

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Rather than a baseball bat, I would just quickly don my armor...

....then take a swing with the handy dandy Charvel!

See? Problem solved!

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

As the saying goes: "Don't bring a bat to a gun fight."

I don't know how Grady can walk and sit without and metallic clangs or clunks,I remember on the movie "The Cowboys" all the kids show up and the little guy pulled out a pistol that had a barrel a foot long,I think it might of been Grady in his younger days
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links