A baseball bat for home defense

This is a discussion on A baseball bat for home defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to a guy's house last night for supper. I'd never met him, but he is a friend of a friend. Single guy, older, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A baseball bat for home defense

A baseball bat for home defense

I went to a guy's house last night for supper. I'd never met him, but he is a friend of a friend. Single guy, older, nice house, neatly furnished, mainly just the basics. About 30 people attended: men, women and children.

I noticed a large baseball bat propped up in front of the fireplace. It was out of place: no other sports stuff around.

At some point during the night, I found myself next to him, so I probed: "Are you a baseball fan?"
    Him: ... silence... he was searching for an answer
    Me, still probing: "Do you play baseball?"
    Him, with a smug smile: "That's for anyone who wants it." Meaning it was his self-defense for a home invasion or another confrontation.

I didn't probe any further because I didn't want the conversation to turn to CCW. I was heavily armed at the time, and I didn't want any direct questions from him about my status.

Note: I know in some states it is required to inform a homeowner if you are carrying. Not in Missouri.

Some people consider it unethical to not inform a homeowner if you are carrying in their home. Not me. My family's safety trumps all, including the feelings of others. This guy lives in Missouri, so he should be aware of the CCW laws. If he's got an issue with it, let him say so ahead of time.

Later I spoke with another guy who has a CCW permit about the bat. I noted it didn't work too well for the doctor in Cheshire, CT.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/24/ny...slay.html?_r=1
    Unpleasant details: Cheshire murder suspects head to court | WTNH.com Connecticut

I knew this other guy carried due to a friend. (Yep, loose lips sink ships, and he likely revealed my carry status also--oh well, at some point I refuse to treat carrying like I have the plague.)

We didn't have the opportunity to discuss much, but I was told he carries all the time. I spotted what was probably a pocket holster with a panel in his right front pocket. Had I not been looking, it would have attracted no attention. He wore a fairly tight tucked-in shirt, so I'm guessing he was carrying one .380. At least he believes in carrying all the time, and having a gun on him.

I'll pursue that relationship when I have the opportunity... If a guy believes in carrying all the time, he's someone I want to get to know.

As far as bat guy, he's made the decision about how he chooses to defend his home. His life, his choice, and I'll respect his right to make his own decision. But when my family visits his home, I'll be heavily armed.

If a baseball bat is all one has, it's better than nothing. But in Missouri, we are allowed more than a baseball bat. And this guy, AFAIK, has no record that prevents him from owning a gun.

His life, his choice. My family, my choice. And it will be more than a bat. Always.

2. Remove Ads

Agreed Grady!

I have a bat too though. If I ever have to use it, I will. I doubt that I'll be effective with it however as I'll not be able to get solid footing for effective strikes with all of the spent brass covering the floor!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

What a shame the Doctor didn't have the means to defend his family. But I would guess he is (was?) the type to believe that guns are bad and only bad people have guns. Who knows..... But we do know his wife and daughters are dead.

Sad story! If this type of incident does not wake up the then nothing will!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Wow, that's a super sad, tragic story.

I'm thinkin' a 12 gauge or AK-47, or similar is way better than a bat. That said, if his wife even would've had a .380 in her pocket, this could've been tragedy averted.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm sorry, a baseball bat is just not my idea of a HD weapon unless you live in a mansion and have plenty of room to swing it along with hallways remember and a gun trumps the bat any day also.

I have some 18 inch pipes or broom handles around the house and garage. I put them just in case, because you never know when you might need a short weapon in a pinch.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Administrator
    I have a bat too. Mine is made from walnut reinforced with steel. It's made by Remington. It was pricey for a ball bat, but its the best bat money can buy. I don't think it fits MLB regs though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In defense of Mr. Baseball, a bat with a plan is better than no plan at all...
    I do prefer my firearms for HD...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Remember the movie "Signs"?

Swing away, Merrill, swing away!

VIP Member
    Now as far as concealing a baseball bat.........that's where I would draw a line.

Granted a bat might be better than nothing, (it would be quiet) but good grief there are a lot better choices out there.

Grady, had you been sitting at the table eating, and your host was walking around behind you, holding the bat and talking about teamwork, would you get nervous (Untouchables)?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Later I spoke with another guy who has a CCW permit about the bat. I noted it didn't work too well for the doctor in Cheshire, CT.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/24/ny...slay.html?_r=1
    Unpleasant details: Cheshire murder suspects head to court | WTNH.com Connecticut
    Any tool that's got a well-understood interface can be used against you, if it gets into the hands of the attacker(s). That goes for any tool.

Which is why the layers are so important: hardened perimeter, for time; warning/alarm for perimeter breach, to activate the next defensive steps; repelling intruder(s), possibly from inside another hardened area; calling cavalry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sad story, if he just would've had a gun.

I' have a bat. But also a 1911 .45, a sword (1864 US Army NCO's).
    And soon aim getting a ss colt combat commander :) !

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In defense of Mr. Baseball, a bat with a plan is better than no plan at all...
    I do prefer my firearms for HD...

This X 1000

And if anybody could CCW a bat (or 2) it would be you, Grady. :)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A bat is better then nothing, I guess. As for concealing it, just shove it down your pants leg. If any looks oddly at you, smile and pretend your're very happy to see them.

Sixto, MLB may suspect cork in your "bat."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

a bat/baton/knife is what i have for HD/SD for now...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links