Boots; for the bump in the night

This is a discussion on Boots; for the bump in the night within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just go barefoot. If I am able to get to them, my slippers for the wintertime. There is too much I have to worry ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boots; for the bump in the night

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I just go barefoot. If I am able to get to them, my slippers for the wintertime. There is too much I have to worry about donning on at night so footwear is of no concern to me. I have to not only put my fannypack containing my backup pistol and other items, I also gotta put on my eyeglasses, sonic ear muffs, and my shotgun slung across my body while my primary handgun is in my hand.

2. Remove Ads

I have boots staged next to bed, laces loose and open to get into fast.Most of the time I don't need 'em. Because of ongoing problem here i've had plenty practice getting dressed fast in dark. You should'nt be in too big a hurry anyway, take time while dressing to listen and for vision to adjust. Heavy socks might make it easier to check and get around inside the home undetected by an intruder. Better to surprise him than other way around. If ya gotta go outside, consider how it affects your liability. We've had attempts on both house and garage. I am reluctant to go outside because it would leave family vulnerable if I got jumped also PA does NOT have a Castle Doctrine which gives legal edge to criminals.If something is after chickens can you put a floodlight in and shoot it from the house?Bears hate 12 ga birdbombs btw...

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    I have boots staged next to bed, laces loose and open to get into fast.Most of the time I don't need 'em. Because of ongoing problem here i've had plenty practice getting dressed fast in dark. You should'nt be in too big a hurry anyway, take time while dressing to listen and for vision to adjust. Heavy socks might make it easier to check and get around inside the home undetected by an intruder. Better to surprise him than other way around. If ya gotta go outside, consider how it affects your liability. We've had attempts on both house and garage. I am reluctant to go outside because it would leave family vulnerable if I got jumped also PA does NOT have a Castle Doctrine which gives legal edge to criminals.If something is after chickens can you put a floodlight in and shoot it from the house?Bears hate 12 ga birdbombs btw...
    I'll be in a hurry, relatively, if there's a stranger in the house. I've got to get between them and my children...

The coop's to far to take a shot, due to the proximity of certain buildings, I'd have to employ the shotgun, that cuts my range down.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I agree with SIXTO, while in Vietnam I had zippers on my combat boots, could get out of bed and have them on half way to the bunker!
    Ditto here...Zippers are definitely the way to go...

http://www.slygear.com/boot_zippers_9_hole.html

lace in zippers for boots - Google Product Search
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Just last night, one of the tenants of the apartment area I am currently living in had their front door broken into and some of their belongings were stolen. The apartment are I live in is quiet but this is just a rare incident. Thigns can happen anywhere nowadays. Because of this, you can never be too safe and always have a plan for home defense and if needs be, personal weapons, whether it be firearms or anything else.

Zacii,
    Well yeah, if we had someone gain entry, our response would be the same. Our kids bedrooms are on the opposite side of the house. No time to waste. One advantage here is being rural, its quiet and we'd hear entry being attempted. Nobody can quietly get into this house. What I'm concerned with is a fast entry w/o warning. With kids on opposite end of house , it'd place an intruder between us. In that case, glasses on, 870 w/ surefire and GO...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links