I'm always suspicious...

I'm always suspicious...

This is a discussion on I'm always suspicious... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A few weeks ago before I even had my first carry gun, my fiancee and I are returning to my house probably around... 11 PM.. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I'm always suspicious...

I'm always suspicious...

A few weeks ago before I even had my first carry gun, my fiancee and I are returning to my house probably around... 11 PM..

There is a young male with jeans and a beater stumbling around near my driveway entrance. Instead of pulling into my driveway I drive past to the next intersection and make a U-turn to check him out but by time I get back to my driveway he is gone already.

My fiancee seems annoyed at my strange behavior, this is not the first time i've been paranoid. I told her I did it because some strange guy who looks drunk or is just walking funny is in front of my house and I wanted to be sure before pulling in and going into my house so late at night.

Anyone else do things like this when something in their gut says "that's odd..."?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Yup. It's a combination of situational awareness, intuition, instinct, and that good ole gut feeling that something just ain't right.

That doesn't sound like paranoia to me. It sounds like Situational Awareness.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    My fiancee seems annoyed at my strange behavior
    What else is she going to be annoyed at? You carrying a gun? Going to the range? Owning weapons? Spending money after you are married on guns? Not wanting to go to a place that prohibits firearms?

this is not the first time i've been paranoid.
    I don't consider your actions paranoid. I consider them prudent. If she can't understand your actions, she's disconnected from reality.

I told her I did it because some strange guy who looks drunk or is just walking funny is in front of my house and I wanted to be sure before pulling in and going into my house so late at night.
    You are correct. She is wrong. She is setting herself up to be a victim. A clueless victim.

Anyone else do things like this when something in their gut says "that's odd..."?
    I'm learning. The times in my past when I didn't listen to my gut are causes of great regret today.

If I ever date again, and I find out the person I'm dating is so clueless, and so arrogant to become annoyed when I take precautions that not only might save my life but hers... I'll move on.

Do you want to spend a lifetime with someone who may continually be "annoyed" at you when you take commonsense actions of precaution and self-defense?

Not trying to offend you, but when someone takes offense at actions that are designed to protect them, that shows a lack of intelligence.

You want to have stupid arguments like this with her for the rest of your life? You're on your way.

I have stupid arguments like this all the time with my wife, so I know what I'm talking about. Not as many as in the past since she's starting to realize it's not worth the argument because I'm going to take security precautions anyway, with or without an argument.

Good luck. If the day comes and you give in to her, and end up doing something stupid like pulling in while some guy is hanging around your house at night, what will be your thoughts if he pulls out a gun and smokes you and your mate?

Will it be "Oh crap, I should have listened to my gut"...

Or will it be "I'm so glad I avoided those silly self-defense arguments with her. Even though we've just become victims, and may pay for it with our lives, I'm SO glad I stopped being paranoid. It saved a few arguments. And it was SO worth it."

She may or may not come around to reality. If you stop being "paranoid", you'll likely pay for it at some point in your life. You and perhaps your family.

Even my 17-year-old daughter knows not to pull into the driveway in a situation as you are describing.
    Starsnbars likes this.

What else is she going to be annoyed at? You carrying a gun? Going to the range? Owning weapons? Spending money after you are married on guns? Not wanting to go to a place that prohibits firearms?
    She is more annoyed that she can feel the gun when she tries to walk on my right side and hold my arm. I told her I would rather she be on my left anyways so I can use my right arm if I need to :p.

You are correct. She is wrong. She is setting herself up to be a victim. A clueless victim.
    She openly admits she likes to pretend the world isn't full of bad people. In that sense she is anti-gun.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

What Grady said X10. Life is too short as it is to waste time with someone who gets "annoyed" with little things you do. Been there, done that, wasted 5 years of my life. Moved on and have now been married, happily, for nearly 28 years to someone who puts up with my quirks, and I with hers.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Grady make this post easy for me.

What he said!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It's called "avoidance." Not paranoia.

I wonder where he went so quickly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I've had similar instances is some of the apartments I've lived in. It's not a bad idea to give the cops a call (on their admin number not 911 since it's not an emergency, yet) and just ask them to have someone pass by. He might not be there to do you harm, but he could be coming from or going to somewhere he does. Or, he might just be drunk/high and it'll keep him from wondering into traffic somewhere.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

I wonder where he went so quickly.
    Maybe he thought I was targeting HIM, LOL.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post
    Yup. It's a combination of situational awareness, intuition, instinct, and that good ole gut feeling that something just ain't right.
    And it's always better to be aware before you've parked and gotten out of the vehicle.

I came home one night, parked my truck on the street, got out, locked it, walked around the back, and then I spotted the two shadowy characters under the tree in the corner of my yard. No awareness on my part up until then.

Took me a few moments to realize it was two very large raccoons standing there.

Sounds like u did the right thing, i probably would have done the same.

IF u did pull in the drive way, and he thought u were trying to hit him, he could have confronted you.

next time u can drop her off and make sure everything checks out and then call u in lol, see how she'll like that.

I'd tell her that pretend time was for when you were children and didn't know any better! She's in for a real dose of life I'm afraid!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I've driven past my own driveway so many times over the years that my .5 doesn't even look at me. She'll look out the window and ask "how long have they been following us?"...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

I'm always suspicious...
    That's a good quality no matter what others might tell you. It has nothing to do with the term paranoid so please don't relate it to that.
    Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links