The will to kill

The will to kill

This is a discussion on The will to kill within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please take a moment and read this Front Sight blog about a man and his wife that took on a home invader, and tell me ...

Thread: The will to kill

The will to kill

Please take a moment and read this Front Sight blog about a man and his wife that took on a home invader, and tell me what you think.

The will to kill

I do believe that if I had been swinging the bat, I wouldn't have stopped until the BG stopped moving

That said, the wife had the bat. I am reminded of a recent post by Lima, about her experience at a women's self defense class, where the women didn't have the right mindset. The mindset to win and live at all cost.

I also concur with Piazza's take that this just wasn't a robbery, there was something more sinister afoot. Also, not to ever comply with the BG.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Pretty much the "gospel" around here, isn't it? A strong perimeter, good situational awareness (and the awareness that bad things can and do happen), and the mental commitment to survive.

I am not one of those guys (and gals) who is going to immediately shoot as soon as I see a weapon present (a la the "nice restaraunt" and other threads), but if someone is in my house with a gun they are there DELIBERATELY to harm me and mine. No one can "stroll" into my bedroom, they would have had to defeat several preventive measures to get there. At that point, their intent is clear, and so will be my response.

Good for that couple for fighting back and coming out on top. Bad on them for just about everything else (unlocked doors, no security, no weapon, no plan, no commitment - at least from the wife - to stop the attack).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Good story and a very good synopsis! When it comes to that point, you can't worry about their welfare, they sure are not worried about yours.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Interesting link. With all the hoopla and arguments on caliber penetration, etc., it seems even a low velocity head can penetrate drywall.

There needs to be some differentiation between the "will" to kill and the "desire" to kill. I don't desire to kill anyone, it would be my last choice, but I will if necessary.

The hubby, as he's mired in H-to-H conflict with the intruder, should have told her to quit yakking and "Swing away!"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I don't carry a gun to 'kill" and saying I do on the web could come back to haunt me if I ever do have to shoot some one. I think the story would be better titled "the will to fight "

The will to kill
    As far as the linked article is concerned...I haven't read it yet.

There needs to be some differentiation between the "will" to kill and the "desire" to kill. I don't desire to kill anyone, it would be my last choice, but I will if necessary.
    If necessary and knowing when, have a lot to do with the will. Matter of fact, when necessary has everything to do with the will. Based upon common facts of those that are here in the now, I'd say almost everyone here is able...............then there comes the ready part. I'm not sure how many are ready. Often times, I question myself and if I'm ready enough for what I want to be ready for. Best I can do is practice any way I can to make myself as ready as I think I can be no matter what. But I can't think of everything, and come the day I need to depend on my skills whatever they may be and wherever they may have come from.....that situation is still going to be a surprise even though I've tried my best to be well prepared. What's going to put me over the line and into the survivor's seating area in the arena is my will. Hence the whole situation can be solved based on the will, and the skills and gear will either support or detract from the sum of all things that make surviving the ordeal possible. Without the will, the ready and able part is just a game plan at best. The will is your basic foundation...without it, you'll be kidding yourself. The will...there is no formal training for that I know of. You either survive or you don't, and if the will is not there when it's most important, then everything else has been a waste of time. You don't cloud your mind with images that you dislike, nor ideals that go against your own. Focus on your main goal of survival, and don't let a fleeting thought or apprehension stand in your way in the last second of your life. Life.....you're either in circulation, or you're standing in line with a number. I sincerely hope everyone here has the will when the time comes. On the other hand, I dislike thinking about the possibilities and outcomes of those who were able and ready but lacked the willing. I care for you all as family.

"Any man who is a man may not, in honor, submit to threats of violence. But many men who are not cowards are simply unprepared for acts of human savagery. They have not thought about it (incredible as this may appear to anyone who reads the papers or listens to the news) and they just don't know what to do. When they look right into the face of depravity and violence they are astonished and confounded."
    ~ Jeff Cooper
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Good article, and great commentary by Piazza. This couple did well, and would do even better with a little extra training and a firearm.

There was definitely something else going on there and to illustrate, the owner of the company I work for, was robbed last night. He and his family were asleep, the rear sliding door was left unlocked for some reason and the entire downstairs was cleaned out of all electronics, purses wallets, etc..etc.. The intruders apparently managed to get a laptop out of the daughters room, UPSTAIRS without waking a sole in that house. No one was hurt and only possessions were taken.

He (my boss) was out of his friggin mind today, beside himself for not having heard the intruders, admittedly though, he does not have a gun, so getting out of bed to confront and unknown number of BGs, could have ended alot worse.

The whole story made me thankful for my .45 and light sleeping habits due to paranoia.
    To echo previous posters, I don't want to take anyone's life, but if faced with the choice....
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

Sponsored Links