What do you do w/ your CC when going on a cruise

This is a discussion on What do you do w/ your CC when going on a cruise within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Iím bringing this question up b/c we are taking a cruise in the near future and we are sailing out of the port of Miami ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do w/ your CC when going on a cruise

Iím bringing this question up b/c we are taking a cruise in the near future and we are sailing out of the port of Miami and obviously cannot take a weapon onto the ship with us. We are taking our personal car and plan on parking in the parking garage. I would like to take my CC w/ me for when we stop to get gas, rest stop, and/or food on the way over and back but I never really thought of what I would do w/ it while we are on the ship until now. I donít really feel comfortable w/ just leaving it in the car 110% un-attended while we are on the ship but I would really like to have it w/ me for the drive there and back.

Has anyone personally run into this and if so what did you do?

Anyone have any ideas of what you would do?

I would hide the CoM safe Center Of Mass Central where it cannot be easily found...leave it in a deep dark space in the trunk and put some junk stuff on top.

I think it should be OK in the parking area for the ship...it's not like it's out on the street.

When I hide mine in the trunk area, or in the car area, you can't even find the safe, yet alone the gun.

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Also, since one assumes you will be parking dockside you may want to liberally coat your hand gun W/ oil before storing it

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My wife and I have been on several cruises. Out of Port Lauderdale and the Port of Tampa. In each case I took a chance and secured my Kel-Tec P3AT in the car. Never had a problem. I chose the P3AT because if it was stolen I would be losing the least.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I would get a CoM safe, lube it but don't be ridiculous, and have a great cruise!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Lead Moderator
    Last trip I took I broke my pistol down then locked up the frame , hid the other parts in various areas of the truck.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I don't go on cruises but I do go on Navy deployments which also consist of port visits to other countries. All I bring are my 2 Surefire tactical lights, tactical folding knife (only for carry on the ship), and my 3 D-Cell Maglite (kept beside me at a location on my bunk or bed in the ship when I sleep). As for my guns, they are stored, unloaded, and locked up at the family's house while I am away. And since they are the only ones I trust with all my heart, they also have access to them in an emergency since I am not there all the time for them.
    Last edited by Jason Storm; May 30th, 2010 at 09:10 PM.

The first thought I had for your situation was the COM safe; personally, I've had to leave my carry gun for extended time in my car, and I get concerned not only about it being stolen, but it being used in a crime, ect.... I get peace of mind by breaking it down and taking a critical component. Usually, I take the barrel with me and leave the rest in COM safe. Even if someone should "discover" the round piece of metal in your luggage, or on your person, they will have a hard time showing that it will be a threat to anyone.
    I'm open to other thoughts though....
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

thanks everyone for your advise

Sorry I didin't catch this earlier, but beware of CRUISE PORT regulations. They are pretty much standard for most port's Restricted Access Areas (this includes port parking lots) the U.S.

This is from the Miami Cruise Port:
    "Upon entering this Port of Miami Restricted Access Area, you are subject to a search of your person, vehicle, and any container in your possession.
    Government issued photo identification is required at all times.
    Possessing a firearm or any other weapon is strictly prohibited. Offenders are subject to arrest and penalty of one year in jail and fine."

Stay at a motel the night before and leave your car there. Most motels and hotels provide free cruise parking and will shuttle you to the Port in the AM.

bosco (ex-cruise consultant)

Worst case, leave it at home.

Enjoy the Cruise!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Find a good gun shop in Miami and have your weapon cleaned and tuned up for your return! Enjoy your cruise!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    No problem. I ain't going on a cruise.
    Why anyone would want to "get away from it all and relax" with 2000 other people stuffed on a boat is beyond me. You can certainly stuff yourself, get drunk, and get burnt a lot cheaper than what a cruise costs.

But, cruise parking is usually in a secured area. Lock it up out of sight.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Last trip I took I broke my pistol down then locked up the frame , hid the other parts in various areas of the truck.
    thats what i would do.....maybe even take the barrell with u if u could...add some magnifying lens on each end and say its a telescope....

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No problem. I ain't going on a cruise.
    Why anyone would want to "get away from it all and relax" with 2000 other people stuffed on a boat is beyond me. You can certainly stuff yourself, get drunk, and get burnt a lot cheaper than what a cruise costs.

But, cruise parking is usually in a secured area. Lock it up out of sight.
    My thoughts and almost exact sentiments said to some in my family who take cruises for vacations...why in the world one volunteers to be a sardine surrounded by 2000 other potentially sick sardines with absolutely no chance of escape or evasion for vacation is beyond me... Can you tell I'm not a people person...good thing I'm not in sales.

But as to the securing questions, the hotel parking and shuttle thing sounds like it might work... I'd be leary of the port parking lot just because it would be my luck that it would be the one day they're searching vehicles coming in or something.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links