best home defense pistol?

This is a discussion on best home defense pistol? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i think the taurus judge is great gun for home def shoots 410/45 colt it will for sure stop them in thier tracks!!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: best home defense pistol?

i think the taurus judge is great gun for home def shoots 410/45 colt it will for sure stop them in thier tracks!!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Man, I was going to ask what his previous experience with handguns might be, but after reading the incident about the shotgun shells, maybe a big dog might be better.

Definitely sounds like a revolver, if anything.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The best gun for the home is the one in hand when you NEED it!

Don't 'nuc' it out.....if you can carry it and practice with it, it'll do for the home.

If you think you he needs a little more, go for a shotty.
    Last edited by goldshellback; May 29th, 2010 at 08:08 AM.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

best home defense pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    My father wants to get a handgun for home defense and asked me for suggestions and help him picking one out.
    I was wondering what would you suggest for a guy like my father who has really no experience with them.
    I was thinking of something like a 357 s&w with a medium to large frame to eat up some recoil, well let me break it down revolvers are said to be more reliable easy to clean and use, but have less rounds,where as a auto has way more rounds but more moving parts meaning more malfunctions.
    I really cant think of a good gun for him they all have their pros and cons so if you could help steer me in the right direction it would be great.
    He's a penny pincher so it can't be too pricey.
    Thanks.
    I recommend a 357 with a 4" barrel: Ruger GP100. Hogue grips are comfortable. Whether he fires 38+P or 357, you really don't feel the recoil.

He can practice with 38s to save $$.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

What about a S&W Nightguard series revolver. Seems like the perfect fit for him. 8 rounds of .357mag/.38spl XS Big Dot Tritium front sight, Extreme Duty Tritium rear sights, Pachmayr custom grips, weighs in around 27oz, built on a larger N-frame.

Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Ok, you want penny pinching and a dang good gun for it's price.

Go with the Rossi 38 Special. My wife has one, it shoots beautifully, the recoil is minimal, she has problems with her hands/right shoulder and she has no problems with this weapon at all. We've been to the range and she's put 500 rounds through it so far and it's a dream for her.

Just my recommendation for a good priced weapon and easy to fire for anyone, even someone with arthritis like my wife has. We got her's at Academy Sports on Sale for $240.00 last Christmas and they are on sale again now for $235.00.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I recommend a 357 with a 4" barrel: Ruger GP100. Hogue grips are comfortable. Whether he fires 38+P or 357, you really don't feel the recoil.

He can practice with 38s to save $$.

Agreed. I have one, recoil is light, great durable gun and easy to care for

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    ... said to be more reliable easy to clean and use, but have less rounds,where as a auto has way more rounds but more moving parts meaning more malfunctions.
    Actually, a revolver has more moving parts. Not tat it matter really, I'm just sayin-

Plus whatever on the GP100.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would recommend a revolver in .357 caliber. Your dad can practice fairly inexpensively with .38 special, then load up with quality hollow points of the same weight and caliber. Your dad can then move up to .357 mag at his own pace.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I carry pistols in the car. I believe for home defense I like shotguns and Black rifles. I slip with my AK beside me.

I would go with a medium to large Ruger in .357, and advise him to keep it loaded with .38 +p. For someone with very little experience a revolver really is the most forgiving weapon. I became convinced of this when I took my wife to the range with my Springfield GI and she jammed it on the 4th shot she took. This is a gun I still have never jammed, and the difference is that I shoot a lot and she never does. We now use a .357 revolver loaded with .38+p rounds to ensure that she can use it well.

Men, especially those proud old veterans, with manly pride think that they all ought to have a big old Colt .45. I have such a gun. BUT...can they or do they have the mind or the time or the strength to rack back that slide and shoot it half-accurately at night or when startled or scared? A revolver, I figger, is easier, just point and pull the trigger. Aim at close range; .38 hollow points should do. Yes, I used to be a cannon carrier too.

Senior Moderator
    I would go with either a revolver in .357 with a 4" barrel or a Glock -17 or 19.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

cmb
    I would go with a revolver and will second the Nightguard and the Taurus Judge; both suitable options 8 round vs 5 but with 410 3 in buck that is like 20 .38 lead balls. At 5 yds they are about 6" apart i think, the recoil isn't too bad.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i would go with a semi auto with a large capacity...why gamble with 5 or 6 rounds when you can have 16-18 on hand in a lightweight polymer pistol...a manual safety is superflous as its a home defense firearm and isnt going anywhere with him...

9mm means light recoil and fast reaquisition even for more inexperienced shooters...dealing with a large caliber sounds like its gonna do something for you but it might just get you into trouble if you cant hit and continue to hit your target...

1911s are great shooters...theyre complex for most to take down and clean...but 1911 fanatics like that about the gun...theyre heavy and can be finicky...

kiss...keep it simple....lots of rounds on hand means less chance of having to reload under stress...polymer is light and durable...

find one that fits and train with it...dont just stick it in a drawer and hope you can hit something with it when the time comes...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links