Defensive Carry banner

best home defense pistol?

39K views 52 replies 45 participants last post by  Quicksabre 
#1 ·
My father wants to get a handgun for home defense and asked me for suggestions and help him picking one out.
I was wondering what would you suggest for a guy like my father who has really no experience with them.
I was thinking of something like a 357 s&w with a medium to large frame to eat up some recoil, well let me break it down revolvers are said to be more reliable easy to clean and use, but have less rounds,where as a auto has way more rounds but more moving parts meaning more malfunctions.
I really cant think of a good gun for him they all have their pros and cons so if you could help steer me in the right direction it would be great.
He's a penny pincher so it can't be too pricey.
Thanks.

#30 ·
i would go with a semi auto with a large capacity...why gamble with 5 or 6 rounds when you can have 16-18 on hand in a lightweight polymer pistol...a manual safety is superflous as its a home defense firearm and isnt going anywhere with him...

9mm means light recoil and fast reaquisition even for more inexperienced shooters...dealing with a large caliber sounds like its gonna do something for you but it might just get you into trouble if you cant hit and continue to hit your target...

1911s are great shooters...theyre complex for most to take down and clean...but 1911 fanatics like that about the gun...theyre heavy and can be finicky...

kiss...keep it simple....lots of rounds on hand means less chance of having to reload under stress...polymer is light and durable...

find one that fits and train with it...dont just stick it in a drawer and hope you can hit something with it when the time comes...

#31 ·
Take your dad to a gun store and let him handle a variety of types and models. Then try to arrange a test firing of the one(s) he likes best. He is the only one that pick the best weapon for him.

A .357 fired in a home at night will do wonders to your hearing and may well give you temporary night blindness.

Has has been mentioned, a .22 that hit's the target does more good than any caliber that misses. Also, a .22 will not deafen you or blind you with a muzzle flash.

#34 ·
.45 is the way to go for home defense. But, you have to be diligent, take him to the range, get him used to the recoil, the noise, and the action... I won't say 1911 for sure, I don't have one (not saying that I do not want) I have a Ruger P345 and it is perfect for me. But shop around, try out different guns and make sure your decision is made with lots of research. Please make sure he practices with, and properly breaks in, whatever gun you do end up with tho... don't want an FTL or an FTE the first time he needs it!

#35 ·
Go with your first instincts... Revolver, used Ruger or Rossi (new) for cost conservation. It will do him the most good when he keeps it handy not stuck in a sock drawer. Get him a good pocket holster and he'll be more likely to keep it handy. JMHO

#36 ·
YOU are thinking correctly. Drive on! If you want to get some real versatility try a Ruger SP 101 in 357 w/ the 3 inch Bbl. I have a Hogue grip on mine that fits like a glove and really helps with recoil. I would get him a good 38+P load for it. Remington 158 Gr. LHP +P's maybe.

#37 ·
I am quite partial to mil surp pistols. Cheap, reliable, and pretty effective

A revolver would also be nice, unless he is developing issues with hand strength. I know my mother can't pull the trigger easy on my wife's 357.

While I would wait a bit, if there is a strong issue with hand strength in the forseeable future, the the 327 magnum revolvers or that new kel-tec PMR30 might be viable options.

Neither are spectactular preformers ballistic wise, but their low recoil and easy operation would probably help with such issues.

#38 ·
Surplus CZ-82. Very nice Czech pistols in 9mm Mak (tween .380-9mm Luger). Good SA trigger for cocked and locked as well as firm but smooth DA for leaving one in the chamber. 12 + 1 rounds. Low recoil, ample power for HD. Should run around $230-250. Great reviews on this import. Only downer is the plastic grips tend to work loose after awhile on the range. Marschal's Grip has really nice wood ones in many styles.
Check it out!

#39 ·
I bought a full size HK USP .45 as a home defense pistol. 12 rounds of .45 with a StreamLight light/laser. I actual bought a Mossberg originaly for home defense, but the USP is way easier to grab.

I'd get something full size in a strong caliber and preferably a decent capacity. After that, it's all preference whether it be a semi-auto or revolver. That's up to the buyer.

#41 ·
The revolver idea has merit, and there's been many good suggestions made already.

Of course I don't know your father or his set-up, but you/he might want to consider looking at a S&W 642. Sure it being light will have a little extra recoil, but the compact size/hammerless would be handy assets to have while answering the door, slipping in his pocket, traveling in the car on a road trip. IOW it hides nicely.

Regardless......... whatever he gets is likely better than nothing.

#42 ·
Personally I lean towards the revolver. The .357 makes it almost affordable to shoot when practicing with 38 spec. Some gun shops / ranges have guns you can shoot there to get the feel and "try them out". If this is an option you should consider it. But whatever he winds up getting you need to get him to practice as often as possible until handling and shooting it becomes a natural thing to him. And consider where he should keep the gun at night so it's easily accessed. Good luck

#43 ·
My first H/D firearm was a revolver. I did a lot of research and considering I would not be carrying it, I selected a S&W model 65 in stainless, with a 4" barrel.
After all these years and a lot of nice pistols, I still think that S&W was a good decision. I still have it, it's not sexy, but it is reliable and needs no special care.

#44 ·
Best gun is the one you have in your hand in a SD situation. :smile:

I would look at .357 Mags, .38 +P., .38 Spl.

Sometimes recoil gets to be an issue as you get older, and there are some good deals on revolvers (plus dependable) that are not made of light weight materials, but great for home SD if no plans to carry.

Price goes up with options, but if you start with .357 Mag, you get all the options to .38 Spl.

#46 ·
Looking for easy to operate-maintain-shoot ... seems to me an XDm or a Glock would be perfect ... no safety lever to operate-forget, enough ammo on board so a reload likely won't be needed; easy takedown for cleaning, and you can get them in 9mm, .40 and .45, depending on what he prefers ... revolvers are simple, for sure, but ammo capacity is low and reloading is iffy unless you practice ... KISS is the operative advice here ...

#47 ·
Home defense gun for Father

Definitally a revolver. One rated for 38SP +P loads or a 357 mag .
loaded with 38sp or +p loads/ Forget the hot shot ammo inside. I double that most of you have ever fired a gun inside a home. I have !
First, noise and flash will make you forget about fireing more ammo
unless your really sharp or experienced. Forget the hot shot loads.Where are they going to end up if your target is missed?
I fired a 38sp wadcutter in my parents basement (once) into a large stack of firewood. Dust came out from everywhere and I had ringing in my ears for an hour. (by the way they were NOT home at the time).
I keep my 357 revolvers for home use loaded with 2 38sp LWC and the other 3 are 38+p JHP.

#49 ·
If you're not opposed to buying used, you should look at some of the police trade-ins on Gunbroker. I bought a stainless S&W K-frame, mdl. 64, 38+P with a 4" barrel for under $250. Then $20 shipping and $10 transfer. It has a butter smooth trigger and is dead on accurate. I bought it for my wife as a house gun.

Here's a link to the thread: Wheel Gun Thread

#50 ·
Best Home Defense Pistol??

A glock 17/19 with an aftermarket threaded barrel with a Supressor and sub-sonic ammo. You can kill them all with no report of where you are in a suprise while talking to your loved ones without the need of Head Phones. Yes it is a little pricey but effective. Effective is what you need when the SHTF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.