Defensive Carry banner

best home defense pistol?

39K views 52 replies 45 participants last post by  Quicksabre 
#1 ·
My father wants to get a handgun for home defense and asked me for suggestions and help him picking one out.
I was wondering what would you suggest for a guy like my father who has really no experience with them.
I was thinking of something like a 357 s&w with a medium to large frame to eat up some recoil, well let me break it down revolvers are said to be more reliable easy to clean and use, but have less rounds,where as a auto has way more rounds but more moving parts meaning more malfunctions.
I really cant think of a good gun for him they all have their pros and cons so if you could help steer me in the right direction it would be great.
He's a penny pincher so it can't be too pricey.
Thanks.

#2 ·
In truth? I'd steer your dad into a 1911 pistol in 45acp. Several reputable manufacturers putting out some good deals on the basic model IMO. If I didn't have my Glocks, it would be a basic mil-spec 1911 pistol without a doubt. We go way back...the 1911 and I. I may have come a long way, but I'll never forget. If it came down to a 1911A1 or a shotgun for me in my last hour, I'd pick up the mil-spec 1911A1 in a heartbeat and live or die with it.

#3 ·
Tall order...

Yeah , 1911 could work, if he's good hitting a manual safety/racking the slide to load it.

You may have hit on something with the revolver; less to go wrong (but if something does go wrong, much harder to fix on the run). I guess I wouldn't even look at .357; I'd look a .38's.

And, then, of course, there's always the used Glock 9mm...but it might be a bit pricy.

Me, I'd probably look at a good, used S&W or Ruger .38 revolver.

#4 ·
I'd say that you're thinking right in line with a large frame .357. My dad has a 1911 that he rarely uses, and he can never remember how to use it when he does. The last time we shot, he had the thumb safety on and thought it was jammed. I don't even want to remember how terrifying it was watching him try to clear it before I could get to him.

The .357 will allow him to practice with cheaper .38 rounds, and you just don't get much simpler than a wheel gun. He'll know when it's loaded and he'll know how to make it bark.

#32 ·
I'd say that you're thinking right in line with a large frame .357. My dad has a 1911 that he rarely uses, and he can never remember how to use it when he does. The last time we shot, he had the thumb safety on and thought it was jammed. I don't even want to remember how terrifying it was watching him try to clear it before I could get to him.
The .357 will allow him to practice with cheaper .38 rounds, and you just don't get much simpler than a wheel gun. He'll know when it's loaded and he'll know how to make it bark.
^^^^I am SOOooooo in this camp.^^^^^^^^^

Because of your dads lack of extensive background in firearms, and his age,(I know I don't know how old he is) but he isn't in his 20's, with a long road ahead for learning and time to instill familiarity into his firearm handling.
.357 frame, with .38+p for home defense.
S&W
Ruger
Taurus
Charter Arms
Rossi
Colts will be cost prohibitive for his situation

#5 ·
WOW, there are so many to choose from. Its kind of a pick ya flavor type of deal. For HD Im thinking 9mm or 45 acp as for caliber. You are gonna find a few reliable autos to choose from as far as brand.

Mainly Springfield Armory, Glock, Sig, Ruger just to name a few. There are some brands of revolvers that I wouldnt use as a paper weight, just pieces of crap...the same with autos. So I wouldnt worry about the "too many moving parts theory"

Now having said all that, you want reliablity and on a budget. Go with a Ruger P90 or P345. You can usually get them brand new for around 4 bills. Which is a great deal considering what youre getting.

#6 ·
Thoughts: there seem to be a lot of used larger revolvers in my neck of the woods, you might check out going that route. Hogue grips help me with recoil on the revolver. Watch trigger pull to be sure there are no joint or arthritis problems that make it difficult to shoot (picture the J-frame).

Can you talk him into a shotgun? :image035:

#7 ·
ya i was leaning towards a 357 revolver as well and ya it would be alot cheaper to practice with 38's and that way he could get better with it with out killing his bank account. but what make and model do you think, i think it should be more on the bigger side to cushing the 357 recoil.

#8 ·
If someone buys a 1911 and never practices/trains with it, they may just forget to hit the safety when a few moments really count...get a Glock or a relvover.OMO:22a:

#9 ·
H&k usp

I own an H&K USP for a little over 15 yrs. and it finally reached its break-in point after over 10,000 rds. of firing .40 S&W rds. Magazine release is ambidextrous and trigger guard is enlarged for use with gloves during cold weather. Also has accessory rails and extended slide release. Magazine is also easy to insert as well as release freely. Also has a recoil reduction system that cuts recoil by about 40% (.40 recoil feels more like a 9mm). Since mine is a Variant 1 (different variants available) as I can have it cocked or uncocked while loaded or unloaded. Very accurate and reliable and has certain features similar to the 1911, Glock, and SIG. Not only is the full-size USP (13+1 rd. capacity) my main home defense gun, it is also my cold weather/fall concealed carry handgun.

#13 ·
I own an H&K USP for a little over 15 yrs. and it finally reached its break-in point after over 10,000 rds. of firing .40 S&W rds. Magazine release is ambidextrous and trigger guard is enlarged for use with gloves during cold weather. Also has accessory rails and extended slide release. Magazine is also easy to insert as well as release freely. Also has a recoil reduction system that cuts recoil by about 40% (.40 recoil feels more like a 9mm). Since mine is a Variant 1 (different variants available) as I can have it cocked or uncocked while loaded or unloaded. Very accurate and reliable and has certain features similar to the 1911, Glock, and SIG. Not only is the full-size USP (13+1 rd. capacity) my main home defense gun, it is also my cold weather/fall concealed carry handgun.
I would agree with anything HK. I don't have one bad thing to say about either of mine.

#11 ·
he has a shot gun for crows out back but he wanted a hand gun for home defense. the shot gun he got last year and only shot it like 2 times and had trouble with it, he tryed to put 20 ga. shells in it and its a 12 ga. they just kept falling out he thought it was broke and called me.lol,lol,lol

#17 ·
Man, I was going to ask what his previous experience with handguns might be, but after reading the incident about the shotgun shells, maybe a big dog might be better.

Definitely sounds like a revolver, if anything.

#20 ·
What about a S&W Nightguard series revolver. Seems like the perfect fit for him. 8 rounds of .357mag/.38spl XS Big Dot Tritium front sight, Extreme Duty Tritium rear sights, Pachmayr custom grips, weighs in around 27oz, built on a larger N-frame.

#21 ·
Ok, you want penny pinching and a dang good gun for it's price.

Go with the Rossi 38 Special. My wife has one, it shoots beautifully, the recoil is minimal, she has problems with her hands/right shoulder and she has no problems with this weapon at all. We've been to the range and she's put 500 rounds through it so far and it's a dream for her.

Just my recommendation for a good priced weapon and easy to fire for anyone, even someone with arthritis like my wife has. We got her's at Academy Sports on Sale for $240.00 last Christmas and they are on sale again now for $235.00.

#26 ·
I would go with a medium to large Ruger in .357, and advise him to keep it loaded with .38 +p. For someone with very little experience a revolver really is the most forgiving weapon. I became convinced of this when I took my wife to the range with my Springfield GI and she jammed it on the 4th shot she took. This is a gun I still have never jammed, and the difference is that I shoot a lot and she never does. We now use a .357 revolver loaded with .38+p rounds to ensure that she can use it well.

#27 ·
Men, especially those proud old veterans, with manly pride think that they all ought to have a big old Colt .45. I have such a gun. BUT...can they or do they have the mind or the time or the strength to rack back that slide and shoot it half-accurately at night or when startled or scared? A revolver, I figger, is easier, just point and pull the trigger. Aim at close range; .38 hollow points should do. Yes, I used to be a cannon carrier too.

#28 ·
I would go with either a revolver in .357 with a 4" barrel or a Glock -17 or 19.

#29 ·
I would go with a revolver and will second the Nightguard and the Taurus Judge; both suitable options 8 round vs 5 but with 410 3 in buck that is like 20 .38 lead balls. At 5 yds they are about 6" apart i think, the recoil isn't too bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.