Home defense with problem renter in the house - Page 2

Home defense with problem renter in the house

This is a discussion on Home defense with problem renter in the house within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Should be able to get some kind of eviction notice/order. Consult an attorney....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home defense with problem renter in the house

Should be able to get some kind of eviction notice/order. Consult an attorney.

Rekey the locks.

Take the door locks to the hardware store and have them rekeyed. I've had it done several times. Buy 2 or 3 keys from them and some lock spray and half the time they'll do it for free. A lot cheaper than new locks even if they charge you for it.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

Had a similar thing happen to my Grandpa on his property. Not same house but a house in the back that he rents out. The family that was in there had two 40-something losers living with the enabler parents. Constantly caught them smoking weed and otherwise terrorizing my grandfather (coming up to him to tell him he needs to do this or that for them even though they had no right).

Ended up hiring a renter's agent that dealt with such things a lot as well as moving primary decision making to my Uncle so my grandpa didn't have to be the one telling them no for all their ridiculous demands (i.e. I worked on my car in the garage that they shared...they claimed that I got metal debris from cutting my fenders to put in marker lights on one of the son's POS SUV and said I had to pay them for a paint job even though the car is a full-on POS and no way they could prove it...this one almost came to a fight between me and the d-bag).

After they were informed in writing (notarized and filed with an attorney) and in person (with non-related witnesses), my grandpa had to stay at his kids' houses for a couple of months until they were out of there. The house was checked daily by myself and several of my male cousins during that period and I always made it a point that they knew I was there.

Sorry to hear about your situation...best advice is to get professional help.

Mom constulted an attorney and things are smoothing out. She gave the renter written 30 days notice and the renter signed the document. So far no negative reactions from the renter but will still be on guard. Thanks all for your help.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

as everyone has said consult an attorney asap. My mom has delt w/ attorneys in the past w/ getting people out of her rental house and they have done it in as little as 20 days they are a great when it comes to this, they know the ins and outs. Is getting all the valuables out of the house an option vs. just locking them up in the house?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Install a hidden video camera or two. They are not that expensive. Lock up or remove anything valuable from the house.

There is not much to do but concentrate on eviction and make sure there are as few problems as possible.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

In a lot of states, eviction can drag out to 6 months or more. Often times it's because the landlords fail to follow proper legal procedure from the beginning which just allows it to drag out.

For example merely giving someone 30 days notice may not be sufficient in a lot of States.

For the absolute quickest form of eviction, it is best to consult an attorney, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get input from the prosecutor as well.

Also, if any theft has occurred, this could help speed matters up, provided they get the police involved and formal charges pressed. Even theft of a bottle of booze may be considered grounds to do a speedy eviction.

As always, it's best to seek advice of an attorney. The laws in many States provide a lot of wiggle room for the tenants in order keep them from being thrown out on the street so your parents will best be served by closely following all legal eviction procedures to the letter.

I hope they can dump them soon and of course, it will be best to have someone at the home 24/7 until the tenants are out.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Definately get the neighbors involved, however, the firearms, that makes me a bit nervous.

1) Are they secure?
    2) If they are secure, can your Mom access them quickly if need be?
    3) If they are not secure, they need to be on your parents at all times, or removed from the house. If these people are dangerous, you don't want your parents getting shot with their own weapons!
    I strongly agree with this point....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

The weapons are secured and she can access them if need be. I just gave her a refresher last weekend on operating them at the range. The renter agreed to move out within 30 days (peacefully).
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Good luck bro...in my earlier story this was in HI. So I was unarmed yelling at a couple of suspected meth-heads and their idiot father.

In retrospect probably not the smartest idea ha ha ha.

In today's day & age it is very hard to get rid of tennent's even when you take them to court, the judge's are very sympathic tward's them, as I have many friends that own homes & apt's that went through this, You should file for an order of protection, stating that you are in fear of your safety from these people due to their drugs or alcohol habit's. & their stealing of your personnel property & valuable's.

I went thru a similiar type situation. The renter, (a single mom, with 2 darling little girls) a Sunday School teacher, my rental agent said. She bounced her deposit check to the utility company, as well as the deposit on the house. My agent gave her the keys,and she moved in.
    It took all winter, with not a dime coming in, while she lied and made excuse after excuse, and in the end the Sheriff had to physically remove her from the property. Not a good situation. IF I EVER rent again, I'll do some mighty good investigations of the Rental Agents. This one was a dud. Should have his license lifted.

No written agreement?

Give them a date and time to be gone and stick to it.

Call the police if they try to stay a second longer.

Works in my mind........but I'm not a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd be moving in with the parents for 30 days, and have the sheriff there on day 30.
    The Sheriff is not going to evict without a court order on day 30. That process itself takes some time in every jurisdiction.

I knew a lady who had to move out of her own house in NYC because a guy who she let live with her started showing his culo. He wasn't even paying rent. In fact, he never paid for a single thing. Yet he was considered a tenant and she had to go through the whole eviction process. It took six months to get that loafer out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links