Taurus ya or na

This is a discussion on Taurus ya or na within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Quicksabre Buy a used Ruger GP100. Probably the same price as a new Taurus, and a much better revolver. But for home ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus ya or na

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    Buy a used Ruger GP100. Probably the same price as a new Taurus, and a much better revolver. But for home defense? I don't know, for HD I think any handgun is probably weak. Why not a 12-gauge or a battle rifle?
    remington 870 for hd. taurus guns are hit and miss. sometime you can get a good one, the next time you get junk.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I own 3 Taurus guns, a PT-92, PT-111 and a 605, all have been solid performers for me with no issues
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have never had an issue with a Taurus revolver.

"Ya", I have 2 Taurus revolvers, a Tracker 44mag & a Model 85. The Tracker needed a factory tune-up, but after that it is 100% reliable, and accurate too. This was my first handgun and I loaded it with 44spl for home defense. Speedloaders are avaliable for this gun. Maxfire Revolver Speedloader 44 Special 5-Shot Taurus 445 Package of 2 - MidwayUSA

The Model 85 has been 100% reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    whats your takes on taurus revolvers for home defense? I was looking at them because they are alot cheaper than smith & wesson but are they just as good?
    Taurus products are hit and miss. Like any other brand, thats a fact. Now customer care for Taurus is absolutely the worst ever, dont believe me ask any Taurus owner. I was once one. Between parts being back ordered for months at a time and snotty service reps who are no help, sooooo.....

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Skip the Taurus. Go S&W, Ruger or Charter Arms if you want a good revolver.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I have a tracker .44 and love it. Goes bang everytime. I have not had any issues with it.

I have a tendancy to favour Taurus and Ruger.

I have a Model 85CHSS and a Model 605B. No issues with either. Shoot good, go bang when the trigger is pulled and reasonable accuracy for snubs.

No regrets.

The Ruger P95 makes a great HD weapon (sorry, it isn't a revolver). Two 15 round magazines, reliable, accurate, and about $350 new. Hard to beat.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    whats your takes on Taurus revolvers?
    Go for it. I have one and ever looked back

for home defense
    Just like most handguns, it isn't good for HD. IMO, that job should be for something bigger like a shotgun.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I wouldn't use a Taurus semi-auto for SD if one was given to me but I think they make a good serviceable revolver. Their shrouded hammer 38 snub-nosed models seem to be gaining popularity around here. That being said, the Charter Arms revolvers are in the same price range (maybe a tad higher) but are made in the USA. The Charter Arms undercover is a nice compact 38 and has a 100% solid frame (no side plate). We chose one over the Taurus when my wife was looking for a J-framed sized revolver for edc and have been pleased with it so far. She's only put 200 rounds through it but it was an easy shooting snuubie to only weigh 12oz.

Taurus makes good, strong, dependable guns -- and you can buy a used one which carries the same lifetime warranty as new. Buy one, used, at a negotiated price and then shoot the heck out of it. If you have any concern about its reliability for SD, sell it for $20 less than you paid. My guess is that you'll like and keep the Taurus.

Ruger and S&W have better factory trigger settings, which is important for hunting, but in SD you aren't trying to hit a paper plate at 75 yards.

My Taurus snubby stays on a softball-sized target at 7 yards five out of five times -- that's plenty good enough for SD.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I have never had an issue with a Taurus revolver.
    +1. I have two Taurus revolvers and have never had any problems with them. I don't like their semi auto pistols, but their revolvers are OK.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I won't be buying anything made by Taurus. At least for a long time. I've fired 3 Taurus revolvers, and one of them had a lot of FTF. It wasn't ammo, it was soft strikes.

And after the stories of their customer service, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    have owned 2 taurus autos with several thousand down the pipe without a single issue...a pt111 mil pro and a pt1911...both have since been traded off and the dealer who took the 1911 off my hands commented that it didnt look like it had been shot much...both were great shooters and never failed to go bang or hit what i was aiming at...

the biggest complaint i hear is the customer service is spotty and takes a long time...i dont have any experience with them so i cant comment on it...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links