Taurus ya or na

This is a discussion on Taurus ya or na within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ccman NO. I will not make that mistake again. Me too...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Taurus ya or na

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    NO. I will not make that mistake again.
    Me too

2. Remove Ads

I carried and trusted my life to my Taurus PT145 for 2.5 yrs. I never had a problem with it.

It loaded, went bang and extracted every round I put in it.

I now carry a Kahr P45, thinner and lighter and easier to conceal.
    02PSD4ME

I'd pass.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Ex Member
    I have owned 4-5 wheel guns in the past. I would trust ANY for SD. They all worked fine!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'll swim against the tide here and say I have three Taurus handguns, and they're fine guns. In the same league as a Smith & Wesson or Colt (when Colt made good wheelguns)? No - but the price isn't the same, either.

I have two Taurus .38 snubs which collectively have probably 3000 rounds downrange through them, without a hiccup. The 851SSUL (shrouded, ultra-lite) had a better trigger than any S+W sub in the store the day I bought it.

My PT111 Millennium in 9mm had some erratic failures to fire between 500 and 1000 rounds. It was returned to the factory and fixed without any problems or cost (other than outbound shipping), and returned in about 3 weeks. No problems since then.

Any mass-produced, manufactured item can have quality problems... you don't have to read many posts to see that Colt, S+W, Sig, H+K, Glock (yes, Glock), Kimber and Kahr - all high-dollar guns - have had their share of problems. Taurus has its share, too. Don't think for a moment that with a Smith + Wesson you have an absolute life insurance policy, but with a Taurus, you're better off with a police whistle.

Given a choice and a big budget, of course I'll take a high-end gun over a budget brand... overall, I believe that you generally do get what you pay for. But disabuse yourself of the notion that Taurus makes pot-metal junk that is incapable of saving your hide. Simply isn't so, and the marketplace would enforce a short business life.
    I own 3, a revolver and a model 92. The 92 is 20 years old and has NEVER had a fail to feed or fail to fire. The .357 has never had an issue in 15 or so years of ownership. My wife carries a PT111 and loves it. She has tried Glock and Ruger and S&W. SHe still prefers the Taurus. It has never failed either.

Anecdotal for sure but you asked for opinions.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    My first pistol was a Taurus PT-92. I regret selling it. I have never owned one of their revolvers but a good friend of mine back in the 80's did and I fired his quite a bit. In my limited experience it seemed solid and reliable. The trigger pull was not quite my S&W model 10 or my Colt Trooper, but I imagine with use or a little $$ to a smith it could be quite slick.
    I understand they did have some quality control issues in the early to mid 1990's but I thought those have been resolved. Based on 45tek's post, maybe they haven't.
    My first was a Beretta 92 that I purchased from the factory store in La Spezia Italy. It was stolen. My second was a PT 92. That was over 20 years ago. It is as reliable and any gun I have ever owned.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Do yourself a favor, buy a Smith and Wesson revolver ,or,in semi auto, Glock or an XD.

I know someone with a PT92 FS that has problems with it not staying in single action mode. It fires, but the hammer doesnt stay back so its double action every round. He's gotta send it in for warranty work I guess. I dont think Id own a taurus semi. Maybe a revolver, in fact I might look at the 9 shot 22LR revolver. I dont find them to sell for that much less than SW around here, maybe $50 less. Personally Id get a ruger. I just like the triggers better.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    I would pass on anything Taurus, but thats just IMO.

Same here, spend your money on a quality gun.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I like Taurus firearms (most of them). There snubbies are down right flawless operational wise (finish isn't to hot, gotta make money somewhere) At 45 ft my wife and I can hit all rounds in the center circle of an 8 inch paper plate. I like my (GULP) .357 Rossi too, (wifes is a .38 special 5 shot M85). The Rossi looked really cheap at first glance. Both had rough DA triggers at first, but were very crisp in SA. I put over 200 rounds through my Rossi using full house .357 loads, and over 400 rounds of .38 spcl . My wifes M85 has over 500 rounds through it, maybe 50 were the +p's. The only problems we ever had were ammo related. And these are not target guns by no means. The only Taurus auto I own and have fired (Have fired many others), is a 24/7 in .45 cal. The problems I had were the magazines, the pistol was flawless. One mag worked, the other jammed all the time. ( I fixed it myself) I ordered new mags when they came out with the fix. Many rounds later, my 24/7 has never failed, not even a dud round. The problem was the follower was hanging up in the mag tube. I just wish I would have waited and got a decocker model.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    whats your takes on taurus revolvers for home defense? I was looking at them because they are alot cheaper than smith & wesson but are they just as good?
    I have six Taurus Revolvers®....................

• Mdl 85B2CH 38 Special purchased in 1994
    • Mdl 85B2 38 Special purchased 1997
    • Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special+P purchased 2007
    • Mdl 669SS4CP 357 Magnum purchased 1996
    • Mdl 617SS2 357 Magnum purchased 2003
    • Mdl 605SS3 357 Magnum purchased 2006

Each of these guns have had several thousand rounds through them. They function flawlessly. The only difficulties I've had are as follows.....

• Mdl 85B2CH 38 Special purchased in 1994 - replaced firing pin after 11,000+ rounds.
    • Mdl 617SS2 357 Magnum purchased 2003 developed increased gap (Cylinder to Forcing Cone,) of .011"; so I sent it in for repair in 2009. I got it back in exactly 5 weeks - they adjusted the crane & yoke and replaced the cylinder.

Both of these guns function perfectly. I would not hesitate to recommend a Taurus® revolver to anyone! If you want accurate information, FROM TAURUS® OWNERS, as to the good, bad, and ugly of Taurus® firearms go here..................

Taurus Armed.net

If you buy a used Taurus® firearm - it's STILL UNDER WARRANTY - whether you are the 2nd owner or the 20th! A Smith & Wesson® only warrants the original purchaser; TAURUS® WARRANTS THE GUN ITSELF - FOR LIFE!

I picked up a 605 at a gun show about three years ago for a good price. I went straight to my gunsmith and had him work it over. For about what bikerbill paid, I got a very dependable revolver. It is my primary carry arm, even more so than my 640-1. If Taurus would hand finish (like S&W used to do before CMC) they could have a better reputation.

na ( I had to make this at least 3 characters)

I shot a PT-111 Of my brothers,Shot great no problems. It's the first Model,
    He's had it on his ankel for a BUG sence it came out, Qualified with it for at least 10 years & carries it off duty. Looks like he got a good one he's got about 1500rnds through it, Lucky I guess ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I have a Taurus PT1911, PT101, PT709 AND A PT 92. and they all work Great, so everytime I see one of these threads I roll my eyes.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links