Taurus ya or na - Page 5

Taurus ya or na

This is a discussion on Taurus ya or na within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; See my post about a gun blowing up in my friends hang in general discussion. it was a T85 Taurus .38 special, i have been ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Taurus ya or na

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    See my post about a gun blowing up in my friends hang in general discussion. it was a T85 Taurus .38 special, i have been around the block with taurus. IMHO i dont buy in to them but, i have friends that I have sold them to. That being said, one of those was the gun that blew. Sorry, Taurus makes me nervous, not trying to start anything.
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    I would pass on anything Taurus, but thats just IMO. Everytime I have held one or shot one they always felt like a cheaper made gun and have only really heard bad things about them.

P.S. I assume you meant yay or nay for the title
    It's actually "yea or nay".
    Entertech AK Centerfire

Daisy Red Ryder

i have seen too many 'my taurus just blew up' threads in the past few years.
    As revolvers go, they are lower end. that doesn't make them all bad, but I would spend the extra buck to get a better one.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

After reading Broken's post about the Taurus Revolver blowing up in his friend's hand, I would pass. IMO, reading about any more than one isolated incident about a revolver blowing up should be enough to turn anybody away from that manufacturer.

That is a SERIOUS problem that could have very well KILLED the operator and/or a spectator. If I had only ready about this happening once, it may have been a exception. BUT, just on this forum I have seen at least two or three, and have heard about more than that. Steer clear in my opinion. The extra couple hundred bucks for a S&W or a Ruger revolver is cheaper than just about any medical bill you could pay.

i don't recommend Taurus to anyone Ive had 2 of their semi's and 1 revolver biggest regret !!!! spend a little extra get a Ruger sp101
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

Administrator
    One thing to keep in mind is that while a new Taurus is less expensive to purchase initially, their resale dollar value is much lower down the road.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    I was just reading about a guy and his dad at the range, with dad shooting a Taurus revolver. He said the gun actually began to fall apart as he was clearing the spent cases. Ridiculous.

Taurus sucks. I will NEVER own ANY of their products. Period. They are cheap POS. Save up some money and purchase a S&W. You won't be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    whats your takes on taurus revolvers for home defense? I was looking at them because they are alot cheaper than smith & wesson but are they just as good?
    Abort! Abort! Keep cheaper out of your vocabulary when SD/HD. Dont skimp, its a matter of life and death. Now having said that, you dont have to break the bank either. Stay away from Taurus though.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Quote Originally Posted by 45tek View Post
    Abort! Abort! Keep cheaper out of your vocabulary when SD/HD. Dont skimp, its a matter of life and death.
    Dittos!

Here's a good example of what's available out there: at Bud's you can get a S&W M686+ 357 3" 7RD Stainless for $670! Sure, that's more than a Taurus, but how much is your life and the lives of your loved ones worth? A new seven-round stainless Smith & Wesson for under $700? Count me in.

And who says you have to buy new? You can find a used S&W that is 10 TIMES the weapon that ANY Taurus could hope to be.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I'm about to be written off as a "basher" by some here, but that's okay. I'll speak the truth until they tell me I can't or ban me.

Last year I bought a PT145. It had multiple failures right out of the box. So I joined TaurusArmed.net to get some help. There are TONS of threads over there about PT145 failures and most seem to be related to magazines. Taurus has a lifetime warranty, but of course, the mags were backordered by several months. So I bought new factory mags out of my own pocket and they were totally different from the ones that came with the gun. This straightened the gun out "somewhat." It now only has a "mere" 2 or 3 failures for every 5-6 mags fired. And just so you know, I looked at a brand new PT145 when buying the TCP (see below) and it had those exact same wrong mags.

About a month ago when I was looking for a pocket pistol, I decided that maybe I hadn't been fair to Taurus, because hey, I've seen several posts by people who had some that were 100%. I don't like to be closed minded and write something off based on a single example. So I bought a TCP. In brief, the trigger mechanism broke within 1.5 mags fired. So off to Taurus she went and I'll be lucky to see it again by the end of August.

So OP, suit yourself and buy what makes you happy. But let me ask you one question: what good is a "lifetime warranty" if their support is horrible?

In the case of the PT145 above, sure, the mags were warrantied but they were backordered for several months. I also heard from several people that when they finally got the replacement mags in, they were the exact same thing that had come with the gun in the first place and the failures continued. And again, the mags I bought myself that improved the gun have totally different followers. There are several threads about this on the Taurus board. There are also threads about people doing various things like snipping magazine springs, replacing followers, removing burrs from mags, etc.... trying to get them to run right. Personally, I'm not a gunsmith and I want something that works right for my money.

I entered the serial number from my TCP on Taurus' "Repair Status" link and it came up saying, "We need more information. Call this number..." So I called them. The guy said that it had been checked in that day. This was a week ago. I tried it this morning and it still gives me the same message.

So you have to ask the question above. Their "lifetime warranty" is meaningless if they see more of the gun than you and this can go on indefinitely. Their support is horrible and this is all well documented. They're incredibly slow and the quality of the repair can be spotty, as well.

I'm sure someone will chime in with their report of a Taurus that has 20,000 flawless rounds across it. I'm happy for you. But rest assured that I will never buy another Taurus product.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I'm about to be written off as a "basher" by some here, but that's okay. I'll speak the truth until they tell me I can't or ban me.

Last year I bought a PT145. It had multiple failures right out of the box. So I joined TaurusArmed.net to get some help. There are TONS of threads over there about PT145 failures and most seem to be related to magazines. Taurus has a lifetime warranty, but of course, the mags were backordered by several months. So I bought new factory mags out of my own pocket and they were totally different from the ones that came with the gun. This straightened the gun out "somewhat." It now only has a "mere" 2 or 3 failures for every 5-6 mags fired. And just so you know, I looked at a brand new PT145 when buying the TCP (see below) and it had those exact same wrong mags.

About a month ago when I was looking for a pocket pistol, I decided that maybe I hadn't been fair to Taurus, because hey, I've seen several posts by people who had some that were 100%. I don't like to be closed minded and write something off based on a single example. So I bought a TCP. In brief, the trigger mechanism broke within 1.5 mags fired. So off to Taurus she went and I'll be lucky to see it again by the end of August.

So OP, suit yourself and buy what makes you happy. But let me ask you one question: what good is a "lifetime warranty" if their support is horrible?

In the case of the PT145 above, sure, the mags were warrantied but they were backordered for several months. I also heard from several people that when they finally got the replacement mags in, they were the exact same thing that had come with the gun in the first place and the failures continued. And again, the mags I bought myself that improved the gun have totally different followers. There are several threads about this on the Taurus board. There are also threads about people doing various things like snipping magazine springs, replacing followers, removing burrs from mags, etc.... trying to get them to run right. Personally, I'm not a gunsmith and I want something that works right for my money.

I entered the serial number from my TCP on Taurus' "Repair Status" link and it came up saying, "We need more information. Call this number..." So I called them. The guy said that it had been checked in that day. This was a week ago. I tried it this morning and it still gives me the same message.

So you have to ask the question above. Their "lifetime warranty" is meaningless if they see more of the gun than you and this can go on indefinitely. Their support is horrible and this is all well documented. They're incredibly slow and the quality of the repair can be spotty, as well.

I'm sure someone will chime in with their report of a Taurus that has 20,000 flawless rounds across it. I'm happy for you. But rest assured that I will never buy another Taurus product.

PSSSST! The question was Taurus REVOLVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes they work, I have owned 3-4 over the years. Pistol? Couldn't give me one!

Administrator
    My perspective is a somewhat unique one; I'll first openly admit that I have never owned a Taurus product. I never intend to either. But, I have worked for (managed) one of the largest gun store/ranges in the country for several years while finishing up my schooling.
    I've seen and done a lot with Taurus. We sold tons of them. We also returned tons of them. Probably somewhere around a 1/3 of all that we sold had some sort of issue. Some of those issues were fixable in the shop, some needed to be returned to Taurus. Some models were better than others, revolver or auto it didn't matter.

Taurus customer service absolutely sucked. I was on a first name basis with several C/S reps and have backdoor numbers to reach live people capable of making decisions on behalf of the company; they still suck.

I'm sorry to say, but those who think Taurus is the same quality of S&W, Ruger or any other big name makers simply does not know guns as well as they think they do. All one has to do is pick up a Taurus and a comparable model by another manufacture and if you know guns, the quality difference is very apparent. I know that paragraph will ruffle some feathers, but I call 'em like I see 'em.

Now for the good; Taurus is really good at coming up with innovative ideas. I really liked the Millennium pistols. I like the Tracker series. The PT99 was a decent gun too. Its a shame that the quality control and poor execution of the design makes these guns a poor choice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Now for the good; Taurus is really good at coming up with innovative ideas. I really liked the Millennium pistols.
    That's what I consider to be the biggest kick in the head. Take my PT145, for example. If it were built with the quality of a Glock, Springfield, S&W, or a few other companies I could name, I would never carry anything else. But as it is, I get a couple of failures with every 4-6 mags fired. That's why I plan to replace it soon.

Now if they could just properly execute those great ideas, we'd be in business.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    See my post about a gun blowing up in my friends hang in general discussion. it was a T85 Taurus .38 special, i have been around the block with taurus. IMHO i dont buy in to them but, i have friends that I have sold them to. That being said, one of those was the gun that blew. Sorry, Taurus makes me nervous, not trying to start anything.

Look at all the Glocks that blow up, and people still buy them.

Taurus ya or na

I have a Taurus 605. I have had it since 1995. It is an excellent gun, with a great finish, is reliable and is accurate. I have never had problems with it. I trust it to work every time.

This revolver rivals my SP101.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links