Taurus ya or na

Taurus ya or na

This is a discussion on Taurus ya or na within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; whats your takes on taurus revolvers for home defense? I was looking at them because they are alot cheaper than smith & wesson but are ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus ya or na

Taurus ya or na

whats your takes on taurus revolvers for home defense? I was looking at them because they are alot cheaper than smith & wesson but are they just as good?

I would pass on anything Taurus, but thats just IMO. Everytime I have held one or shot one they always felt like a cheaper made gun and have only really heard bad things about them.

P.S. I assume you meant yay or nay for the title
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    whats your takes on taurus revolvers for home defense? I was looking at them because they are alot cheaper than smith & wesson but are they just as good?
    My Taurus experience is limited to the 617, a 7 shot 357 Mag. Not "just as good" as a S&W IMO but certainly a very serviceable revolver. I'm a S&W or Ruger man myself but the Taurus revolver I have isn't bad.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    First Taurus gun I had, blew the slide off at around shot number 10. Thing hit me in the head, and it hurt. (Their little 22 flip up barrel pistol.)

Second Taurus I shot, was my wife's. Blew a locking pin for the cylinder after about 300 rounds of soft shooting 38s. (It is a 357) Luckily I noticed that the cylinder wasn't right, cause if she would of taken another shot, probably would of taken off her hand.

Now both were fixed, the 22 pistol still has problems, but the 605 model seems to be doing ok. But we really haven't been able to shoot it alot.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member
    NO. I will not make that mistake again.

I will add, that if you get a good one, they are decent. The QC, and Customer service however are spotty. Particularly their Customer Service. Worse than H&Ks " Because you suck and we hate you" stance.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

Buy a used Ruger GP100. Probably the same price as a new Taurus, and a much better revolver. But for home defense? I don't know, for HD I think any handgun is probably weak. Why not a 12-gauge or a battle rifle?
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Oh heck, I'm a Ruger person myself and I say "ya" to them. I bought the GP100 3 Inch and 4 months later was having it grinded down due to the cylinder not closing just right.

So every type of weapon can have it's problems. I say go for it. Smiths are great, but they are dang proud of them, just like Ruger is, but I like Rugers still. My wife has a Rossi 38 and she loves it and she bought it for $240.00 and it fires like a charm.

You don't need a freakin $1,080.00 gun to be a good home defense gun because nothing says that extra $700.00+ is going to make it go boom any better.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I had an early Taurus, years ago...don't want another one. For some it may be the perfect firearm, just not me.
    I'm looking for another Ruger.

You asked, that's my opinion.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nope, there are too many other great brands out there to go with that are built here in the US and are of much higher quality.

There are several inexpensive surplus pistols on the market that will be far better built too.

A makorov clone, or a CZ82 (?) would be near the top of the list.

Seems to me for the same price range you can get a Charter Arms revolver. That company has a much better reputation and their stuff is still very affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    When someone breaks into your home and it's time to defend yourself, do you want to grab something that was the cheapest thing you can find, or do you want to grab a gun that's going to work.

Unless there is something that has suddenly changed, odds are you can wait long enough to buy whatever is going to work best. It's an investment, in your life, safety and firearm. Get something that's going to work should you need to rely on it to save you, something that's not going to cause a hazard to you in it's use and your training and practice, and get something that's going to last you a long time, and not make you need to keep buying to have something that will work and you can trust.

If you can decide on what is going to meet those, then start price shopping for that model, and look for good condition lightly used guns as well as deals (which may come in the form of free range time to customers as local shops, or spare mags, club discounts, etc.) and then save up until you can make that investment.

No personal experience but every review and forum threads I've read I've determined it's very hit or miss, and if it works it's great, if it doesn't you'll wish you never did.

Glock Certified Armorer

I'll swim against the tide here and say I have three Taurus handguns, and they're fine guns. In the same league as a Smith & Wesson or Colt (when Colt made good wheelguns)? No - but the price isn't the same, either.

I have two Taurus .38 snubs which collectively have probably 3000 rounds downrange through them, without a hiccup. The 851SSUL (shrouded, ultra-lite) had a better trigger than any S+W sub in the store the day I bought it.

My PT111 Millennium in 9mm had some erratic failures to fire between 500 and 1000 rounds. It was returned to the factory and fixed without any problems or cost (other than outbound shipping), and returned in about 3 weeks. No problems since then.

Any mass-produced, manufactured item can have quality problems... you don't have to read many posts to see that Colt, S+W, Sig, H+K, Glock (yes, Glock), Kimber and Kahr - all high-dollar guns - have had their share of problems. Taurus has its share, too. Don't think for a moment that with a Smith + Wesson you have an absolute life insurance policy, but with a Taurus, you're better off with a police whistle.

Given a choice and a big budget, of course I'll take a high-end gun over a budget brand... overall, I believe that you generally do get what you pay for. But disabuse yourself of the notion that Taurus makes pot-metal junk that is incapable of saving your hide. Simply isn't so, and the marketplace would enforce a short business life.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I am a Taurus fan. I have a Judge which I have had no issues with and I have a PT111 Mil Pro. No issues with either one. Perhaps I am in the lucky minority. I dont have enough experience with other brands of revolver so I cant make a good comparison, but I will say I am extremely happy with both of my taurus firearms.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links