Children defending home?

This is a discussion on Children defending home? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wondering? I have a Mossberg 500 for home. My kids know how to use it never had any problems so far, but because they ...

Thread: Children defending home?

Children defending home?

Just wondering? I have a Mossberg 500 for home. My kids know how to use it never had any problems so far, but because they are 6 and 10 years old what would be the legal ramifications if something would happen at the home front.

If I was not near the shot gun and my 10yr old got it and defended me or his brother. Would I be liable for a BG getting blown away?
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 3rd, 2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: made title reflect subject matter of post.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If they are legally justified in using lethal force, then the liability is the same as anyone else. Actually, there standard in using force will probably be lower than an adults.

But, keep in mind that you are still responsible for everything your child does as well as what happens inside your home or on your property.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    The standard of the law will likely be the same, though if something goes awry you will be responsible. (say if your son harms a family member by mistake) If you think it's even a remote possibility, then train your kids on the use of that firearm and the reasons to use it.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Years ago my oldest boy who is a Marine now, defended our home ,his sister and the baby sitter while someone searched our home. His mom and I were on a date. We live in a metro area but have a lot of property and are about 300 ft from the road. When we come home he has his Winchester Trapper in .44 mag. and is standing by the door watching. The police had been there, searched the property and barn. One of the officers commended my son on his use of the safety and his safe handling of his firearm. The officer did carry the .44 while searching and handed it back ...loaded still, to my son and warned him to be careful. Oh, my son was 12. Great to live in the South...GOD, guns, Mama and cornbread! Yea, baby

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I had to defend my home and my sister when I was thirteen. (I used a dbl barrel 410.)

I have taught my son how to use his 410 shotgun if he needs to; BUT I really hope he NEVER has to face such a fear.

I cant see any difference if the person defending themselves is 6 or 106.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    My 11yr old son is a crack shot with his 10/22 and is also proficient with my AR-15.

You could teach them to be mean with that little Ruger .22 with that ten-shot box magazine, more fun and easier to handle than a shotgun. Shooting at skeet with my Mossburg 500 shotgun is not much fun because it makes my shoulder sore. It would be worse for a small child, hurting a lot after that first, hopefully good, shot. I doubt if the typical kid could rack and shoot accurate or quick after that first shot that hurt them a lot.

"Disparity of Force" (Them being a an overwhelming disadvantage due to age/size) would probably come into place.

As long as they feared for their lives I don't see too much of a problem.

I have two boys(14/16)who are good marksman w/ both rifle and pistol. They exhibit safe firearms handling, which I stress. We have discussed use of deadly force and I'm confident they are of good judgment. I pray they never have to defend themselves.But we have had problems in our current location and are trying to move. If they are home alone we trust them. My oldest was recently "tested", when an unknown person stopped. We have told them not to open door for anyone unfamiliar. He challenged him thru a window, politely. The guy left and my son even took his picture per my instructions.

There are way to many variables in this for a single best answer.The age of the child, the maturity level of the child etc. I think the real gap here would be the technical level vs. the maturity level. In other words, knowing How to use a fireams does not ensure the child would know When to use the firearm.

At the ages of 6 and 10 I wouldn't trust them to safely handle a firearm any more than I would trust them to drive my car while I was sleeping in the back seat. And as they get older, chances are they will sometimes take them out and play with them (especially around the age of 16), show them off to friends who come over, perhaps even sneak off into the woods to shoot them for fun. I did it. My friends did. Our parents taught us safe procedures, my best friend's dad was a cop and it didn't matter. Kids are kids. And we did incredibly stupid stuff at that age.

While I think that home and self defense is an invaluable right, and I want to be protected in the unlikely event that I need to protect myself, I know that statistically a young child has a much greater chance of injuring themselves with those weapons then they do of someone breaking into the home and injuring them...and I wouldn't take that risk with my children.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    That's a interesting question with good responses. I would hope that would never happen for the mess their little minds might be in afterwards, that is where the problems could come in, to heck with blowing away the BG.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    At the ages of 6 and 10 I wouldn't trust them to safely handle a firearm any more than I would trust them to drive my car while I was sleeping in the back seat. And as they get older, chances are they will sometimes take them out and play with them (especially around the age of 16), show them off to friends who come over, perhaps even sneak off into the woods to shoot them for fun. I did it. My friends did. Our parents taught us safe procedures, my best friend's dad was a cop and it didn't matter. Kids are kids. And we did incredibly stupid stuff at that age.
    My son is 10- and a couple of weeks ago he and some older boys were playing in the woods. One boy (a 13yo) revealed he had a gun; and asked my son to hide it for him.

When my son realized it was a REAL Ruger 22, he "SAFELY" placed the gun in the the trunk box on the atv and took it to the boys aunt. I have NO doubt that my 10yr old son SAVED at least ONE family from suffering a terrible tragedy. (Three other sets of kids parents are in COMPLETE agreement with me.)

I have been teaching my son SAFE gun handling practices since he was SIX. (My daughter too)

So, I can say without a doubt; there is at least ONE ten year old boy that can be trusted to safely handle a "LOADED" firearm; FIVE loaded magazines and 200rds of ammunition when it really counts! (and HE belongs to THIS very proud papa!)

As for driving:
    I'm disabled and my son as been driving my JD850 tractor for almost two years ALL by himself!
    AND
    He does "almost" all the bush-hogging and grass cutting on our property. (He has to because I can't get around as good as I used to.)

"SOME" 10yr olds can be VERY responsible. (Mine is!)

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I have been teaching my son SAFE gun handling practices since he was SIX. (My daughter too)

So, I can say without a doubt; there is at least ONE ten year old boy that can be trusted to safely handle a "LOADED" firearm; FIVE loaded magazines and 200rds of ammunition when it really counts! (and HE belongs to THIS very proud papa!)
    He did the right thing in that case, probably thanks to your good teaching. When I was young I had friends who swore they would never smoke cigarettes or do drugs because their parents taught them not to. Of course, then they get a little older and they do it just because their parents told them not to.

That rebellious stage is coming...it's like a rite of passage everyone goes through. Think back at your own life and I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a bunch of really stupid irresponsible and life threatening things you've done. Everyone thought I was a straight arrow, but even I did some REALLY stupid stuff with guns.

I'm just saying, that rebellious phase is coming...your kids will lie to you, do things behind your back, play irresponsibly with your guns...because all kids go through that phase.

If it were me, I would definitely teach them how to use a firearm, but I wouldn't give them free access to it while I was not home, because I think the odds of them bringing harm to themselves or someone else when they inevitably abuse it is so enormously greater than the combined odds of someone meaning them harm breaking into the resident AND them successfully defending themselves against said person are.

Anyway, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, obviously you should oversee your household as best you see fit, but I'm just saying what I personally would do.

One final thing, I could be wrong, but it appears to me that it is a federal offense to leave a firearm within access to a minor while you are not present:

(g) (1) Any person legal or natural who transfers, gives,
    returns, sells, or loans any firearm to any minor is guilty of a
    felony which shall be punishable by a term of imprisonment not
    less than five (5) years and a fine of not less than Five
    Thousand Dollars ($5,000). In the case of a violation by a legal
    person or persons performing the forbidden acts, or omitting the
    required acts and any responsible officer who knew or should have
    known of the act as omission committed shall be liable for
    punishment under this section.
    (2) This section does not apply when a minor is being
    instructed by his parent or guardian in the use of weapons or
    when that minor, properly licensed, is hunting with his parent or
    guardian who is also properly licensed and complying with the
    provisions of Department of Agriculture Hunting Regulations
    15300.00 through 15300.29.
    (h) Any person who negligently entrusts a firearm to a minor
    is guilty of a felony
    , which shall be punishable by a term of
    imprisonment of not less than one (1 ) year and a fine of not
    less than One Thousand Dollars ($1,000). ****
    Since (1) and (2) are sub-points of (g), I believe that when (2) says "this section does not apply when a minor is being instructed...." that means that point (h) does not apply, but (g) which is part of a different section does apply.

In other words, it is legal for you to give a firearm to a minor while you are instructing him, but it is a federal offense to allow that minor to have access to the firearm when you are not around.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Links