Late night phone call......somethings up.....how fast can you get ready/prepared?

This is a discussion on Late night phone call......somethings up.....how fast can you get ready/prepared? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've mentioned before that we live pretty rural and not in a subdivision of any kind. Sometimes at night I get a phone call that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Late night phone call......somethings up.....how fast can you get ready/prepared?

VIP Member

Late night phone call......somethings up.....how fast can you get ready/prepared?

I've mentioned before that we live pretty rural and not in a subdivision of any kind. Sometimes at night I get a phone call that a cow is out near the highway, so I have to drive a short distance unexpectantly. This past December I got a call in the middle of the night that my fire alarm was going off in my shop. I got up, dressed as quickly as I could, grabbed my "pocket stuff" and was out the door pretty darned fast. However the getting dressed-in-a-hurry part wasn't an ideal situation, I was scrambling around, and got lucky to grab most of what I needed quickly. BTW the shop had major damage, here is the related thread if you're interested:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...fter-fire.html

Just last night, I got up in the middle of the night and happened to look out the front door and could see a light not too far away that hadn't been there before. Once again, I started getting dressed, grabbing my stuff, and cursing myself for not leaning my lesson and being better prepared. BTW the light turned out to be nothing other than an odd reflection.

I've got to do better, and I'm thinking about dedicating some proper clothes, boots, and other options, etc nearby the area where I keep my keys, cell phone, etc. Sort of in the manner that fireman have their stuff laid out ready to go. You can bet my wife won't like that part, as it will appear untidy.

Of course we live in the middle of nowhere and if there is a strange noise right around the house, frankly I don't mind checking the outside of the house in my drawers to find whatever varmint made the noise. Surely my appearance will permanently frighten away any number of varmints. However I'd want my state of dress to be more complete if I have to drive a bit to whatever is going on. I've got no plans of putting a cow back in the pasture at 2 a.m. in my underwear!

I hope ya'll won't be to colorful in your description of your nighttime apparel (or lack thereof) in the fact that I'm trying to avoid as many visual images as possible.

If you got a call in the middle of the night from a neighbor down the street informing you they had a medical emergency or fire or whatever. Would you be able to get dressed and grab your stuff pretty quickly or would you be scrambling? Any ideas/thoughts?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

I can get dressed in the basics and out the door in 30-60 seconds. When I get ready for bed my clothes and everything get left bedside on the floor (except for phone and EDC which go on nightstand) for something like this. If I get a phone call for an emergency - Once I get up I can get dressed and get out the door with EVERYTHING I usually carry In less than a minute. If I hear something out of place at some strange hour of the night and have to go check on it, All I grab is Pants boots gun light (Jacket if its winter) and I can be out the door in less than 30 seconds.

To practice getting up and out QUICK - When your alarm goes off when its time to wake up see how quick you can hit snooze (like grabbing the phone) get dressed as quick as possible and get out the door. See how fast you did this and if you have everything you need. It takes a little while to get used to doing it since you havent really woken up yet, but you WILL get used to it. I had the luxury of working EMS, so when the alert system went off it was out of bed boots on and out to the rig in about 40 seconds. Same thing if I was in the shower at the station. This just carried over to phone calls late at night or having to check on something strange.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Well I live in the 'burbs, so I don't have far to go. If something goes bump in the night, I have shorts near the bed and my .45 on the nightstand is right there. If something goes BANG in the night the HD shotgun is 3 steps away.

For me, apparel matters little...I don't mind a BG seeing me shirtless before he meets his Maker. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

As a general rule, the clothes that I have on today will go on my dresser when I go to bed. I will leave everything in place except the firearm. It comes out of the holster. My socks will stay with my boots. I can be dressed in about 30 seconds.

If my clothes were too dirty then I put all the stuff on the dresser. I keep a pair of BDU pants nearby. I can stuff most the stuff in the pockets.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    My job requires me to be able to respond quickly to calls at all hours. I have found that the "fireman" method you described is about the best. If I have it all organized and ready I can be dressed and loaded up in less than five minutes without any hurry - faster if I had cause. The biggest concern I have is slowing down to handle my firearm. That is one thing I DO NOT HURRY with.

Now, if you don't get called out 2-3 times a week, all that stuff in a chair in the bedroom might be a little much. I would just leave all of your "pocket stuff" in one place all of the time. Then get dressed quickly and have all of your "gear" in one place. Organization is your friend!

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I always keep pants/jeans, tshirt, wallet, phone and keys next to the bed. Pistol in a digital safe next to the bed. I try to keep everything in the exact same place every time, so I can get it quickly, in the dark, under stress. My biggest concern has always been for the event of fire or something requiring a rapid egress.
    One note. most of that stuff just stays in the pockets of whatever pants I had on that day. So, it would be pretty quick.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    I always keep pants/jeans, tshirt, wallet, phone and keys next to the bed. Pistol in a digital safe next to the bed. I try to keep everything in the exact same place every time, so I can get it quickly, in the dark, under stress. My biggest concern has always been for the event of fire or something requiring a rapid egress.
    One note. most of that stuff just stays in the pockets of whatever pants I had on that day. So, it would be pretty quick.
    This is what I do! You then do not have to think about where anything is, it's just habit, and anything you practice a lot will become quicker.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    unless my bedroom is on fire there isnt much thats gonna make me react fast enough to even want to be out of the house in less than a minute...i know where eveything i need to dress is and i can be ready in plenty of time for whatever was happening...and my necessities are on top of my desk one step from my side of the bed...

just out of curiosity sake...when you went to your shop was it to put the fire out yourself or to watch the firemen put it out?...

Civies and duty uniforms are ready to go and put by the foot of my bed.
    'Pocket stuff' is on the roll-top desk by my bedroom door.
    I can get up and out pretty quickly......I've seen me do it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    just out of curiosity sake...when you went to your shop was it to put the fire out yourself or to watch the firemen put it out?...
    My hurrying to the shop was two-fold, either it would be a false alarm and I could call 911 and send the firemen back to bed; or it would be a little fire that I could quickly suppress with a fire extingusiher. As it developed the storeroom part of my shop had a sizeable fire, and apparently had smothered itself out, it was full of thick black smoke, no sight or sound of actual blaze when I peeped in. I kept the door closed so as to not feed it any air while waiting on the fire dept.

Our fire department is all-volunteer and being rural means distance. The first responders had to get out of bed, get dressed, drive to the fire station, open it up, and drive the truck here. It was about 30 minutes after the alarm activated that they arrived.

They tried and I know they hurried, but this is a time when distance is not really your friend.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I'm in a rural area too near a couple of cut through roads. It is common for me to go out in the middle of the night to see what's going on. Some strange stuff has happened over the years and I have gotten better at my preparedness.

Like others have stated, I also have my stuff in the same place every night. I have shorts (or jeans, depending on season) with my holster and reloads on the belt, boots, shirt, flashlight etc all ready. Currently my daily carry SP101 sleeps on the nightstand next to me with my 12 gauge pump w/ light on the barrel leaning against it, somewhat out of site, and the wife has her XD45 in her nightstand drawer incase I'm out.

Making the routine a habit has greatly increased my "get up and go" time. My faster out the door times have enabled me to see certain vehicles before they split.

Good reminder.

I'm thinking I need to rethink my nighttime procedures.

My answer is "yes, I can". I always have shoes sitting there I can literally just stick my feet into, pants I can slip in and shirt to throw on.... with gun, etc right there.

My rule of thumb is, from the time I jump up, I better be ready to leave the room "dressed" within 15 seconds. And, I can and have.

I learned it from a fireman.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    About 30 seconds to a minute. I started leaving a 5.11 Push pack by my bed with Duct tape, quick ties, spare mags for my 'coyote rifle' 1911 and XD pistols, paracord and a few other possibles including a spare flashlight and batteries
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

30 years in the Fire & EMS service, I can be "good to go" in under a minute. That's dressed with boots on, armed, phone, flashlight.

For something major, I merely grab my "Go Bag" on my way out the door.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links