Wasp spray for PD.....who knows? - Page 2

Wasp spray for PD.....who knows?

This is a discussion on Wasp spray for PD.....who knows? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Guantes Not any more, even hair spray. They have changed the propellents. I don't have any wasp spray. I was looking at ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wasp spray for PD.....who knows?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Not any more, even hair spray. They have changed the propellents.
    I don't have any wasp spray. I was looking at a can of my wife's hair spray glue. It is still plenty flammable. Dimethyl ether, alcohol, propanol, methyl gluceth-20 benzoate. 55% VOC (volatile organic chemicals - solvents). That's a pretty high solvent percentage and it is not water based.

I'll need to do some scientific research and testing before I can say this myth is busted.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I don't have any wasp spray. I was looking at a can of my wife's hair spray glue. It is still plenty flammable. Dimethyl ether, alcohol, propanol, methyl gluceth-20 benzoate. 55% VOC (volatile organic chemicals - solvents). That's a pretty high solvent percentage and it is not water based.

I'll need to do some scientific research and testing before I can say this myth is busted.
    Did you try it with a lighter? I have tried a number of them recently with little to no success. I used hair spray with a lighter for many years for wasps, etc. I got the idea in the 60's when fliers were found showing a Zippo taped to a hair spray can and how to use it on LE.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Did you try it with a lighter? I have tried a number of them recently with little to no success. I used hair spray with a lighter for many years for wasps, etc. I got the idea in the 60's when fliers were found showing a Zippo taped to a hair spray can and how to use it on LE.
    You are making me laugh. I have not tried it since the 60's myself.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Update:
    Wasp Spray - not tested

Hair Spray - Plausible - tested using White Rain hair spray. No wind. 20-30" length flame.
    - Zen Saying

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote.
    Note true. In fact, just what sort of temporary blindness might occur is really not well known. The active ingredient will be pyrethrum-based or pyrethroid-based. You might gets some redness, swelling and burning of the eyes if it gets in your eyes. A little redness isn't blindness. It is a moderate irritant, nothing more.

http://www.pesticide.org/PyrethrinsPyrethrum.pdf

Antidote? WTH? There isn't an antidote for pyrthrum/oid insecticides. You wash the eyes with water!!

Let's say you use Hot Shot. The MSDS says to wash with water and that their product is considered a moderate eye irritant.
    Wasp & Hornet Killer MSDS

Having experienced being sprayed with wasp spray in the face while fighting wasps, I can say from person experience that the taste in my mouth was more troubling that the effect on my eyes.

Pepper spray most definitely can be delivered in a form that sprays well at distance like wasp spray.

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray.
    Glinka has no studies to back up his claim that wasp spray is more effective than pepper spray. Don't be fooled.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Additional Update:

Hair Spray - Suave hair spray, no flame. Aqua Net hair spray, 10-12" flame.

I guess it depends on the brand.

Double Naught nailed it. There is no "antidote" to the stuff in modern spray. They're not putting organophosphates in wasp spray anymore. Dumb internet myth.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Older lady's response to LEO's after soaking BG with wasp spray :

But, Officer......I couldn't see my attacker very well, I may need new glasses.

He did however look like a giant wasp!

All kidding aside, the debate still rages as to what can be used legally in one's own defense. Like the other person posting, I think the .38 special would be more effective and apparently more legal.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Wasp spray is bad stuff if sprayed in the eyes.This could be effective. The person is the weapon. Some people could fight off a mob with a kitchen chair. Other people could not defend themselves with full body armor and a pair of .45's

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    A .38 Special - A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a .38 Special instead.

The .38 Special, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray or a stupid can of insecticide, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The .38 Special can terminate an attacker unless they can get to the hospital emergency room in time. She keeps a concealed revolver in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested keeping a .38 Special revolver near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The .38 Special typically shoots 20 to 30 feet or more; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "shoot the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the .38 Special. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life

Did you also know that a .38 Special will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill a wasp.!!!!"

Fixed!

There! That's better.

FIXED? Quite well, I might add.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Wasp spray is bad stuff if sprayed in the eyes.
    Some people could fight off a mob with a kitchen chair.
    I would not want to be sprayed in the eyes with it.

Done it with a car, but not a chair.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Humm... Which makes you more liable, gun or wasp spray? Tough question for a jurist.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I"ve torn the tags off of pillows and remain a free man.
    I know you meant the above in a humorous way, but FYI I'd like to pass on this info: Everyone knows these tags are "not to be removed" but they always forget the part "except by consumer." It's legal and appropriate for the consumer to remove them. They're there to protect the consumer against bying products with un-hygenic stuffing by declaring/certifying their contents to be something safe. I understand that in days gone by stuffed animals and pillows, etc. would sometimes arrive from overseas stuffed with unsanitary, dirty rags, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    And while it's illegal to whack your neighbor with a ball bat, there is a reasonable amount of understanding if you do it in self defense.
    If you use a bat for self-defense it's normally considered a use of deadly force and requires the same justification as using a knife or gun. On the other hand, OC spray is widely considered to be non-deadly.

Now wasp spray is explicitly a poison, and I would think that use of it against a bad guy would be treated as a use of deadly force since the active ingredient is designed to kill something.

Now if wasp spray is all I had on hand to defend myself with I'd certainly use it, but if I was shopping for a spray to have at home in case of need I'd buy OC spray in the spray-paint-sized can for home use. In either case I'd have a large can of defensive spray, but If I was prosecuted for using it then in the case of OC the prosecutor would have to make a case that my non-lethal spray WAS lethal under the circumstances, whereas in the case of wasp spray I'd have to prove that my wasp spray was NOT lethal under the circumstances. I'd rather have the former situation than than the latter.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

In response to "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." the labeling says to spray it on the vermin... Could we not assume that any criminal is a vermin, a pest?

If we want to be strict about that, how many of you follow the instructions such as "Hold the can upright between 12 and 24 inches from the target..."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by opalelement View Post
    In response to "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." the labeling says to spray it on the vermin... Could we not assume that any criminal is a vermin, a pest?

If we want to be strict about that, how many of you follow the instructions such as "Hold the can upright between 12 and 24 inches from the target..."
    "Wasp" spray doesn't say that and goes a lot farther. But I'll buy the vermin part!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links