Wasp spray for PD.....who knows?

This is a discussion on Wasp spray for PD.....who knows? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got an old buddy who sends me 10-15 emails a day at times. This one was different. If you've got someone who simply will ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wasp spray for PD.....who knows?

Distinguished Member

I've got an old buddy who sends me 10-15 emails a day at times. This one was different. If you've got someone who simply will not accept using a firearm, or perhaps if you're defending yourself in the garage.....I don't know. But give a quick read, it's a thought.

"Wasp Spray - A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life

Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill a wasp.!!!!"
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Thanks for posting, interesting!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

For wasps I usually buy a 'flying insect' spray which usually claims to work on various species in addition to wasps. All of them have contained pesticides (chemicals which are poisonous to insects) and have had a notice printed on the can that it's a violation of federal law to use the product in a way that's inconsistent with it's labeling (e.g. spraying humans rather than insects?).

Effective against bad guys or not, I wonder what the legal consequences of using wasp spray on humans might be. Would spraying poison at a person be considered deadly force? How severe a violation of federal law is it (felony?) to use this product 'improperly'?
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Distinguished Member
    Many "accidents" occur in the home.
    Savage Heartland

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    For wasps I usually buy a 'flying insect' spray which usually claims to work on various species in addition to wasps. All of them have contained pesticides (chemicals which are poisonous to insects) and have had a notice printed on the can that it's a violation of federal law to use the product in a way that's inconsistent with it's labeling (e.g. spraying humans rather than insects?).

Effective against bad guys or not, I wonder what the legal consequences of using wasp spray on humans might be. Would spraying poison at a person be considered deadly force? How severe a violation of federal law is it (felony?) to use this product 'improperly'?
    I've used that stuff before on some actual wasps, and its pretty potent (If you hit a flying wasp, it'll drop out of the air to the ground dead.) That being said, I've seen the label about being against the law too.

Distinguished Member
    I"ve torn the tags off of pillows and remain a free man. And while it's illegal to whack your neighbor with a ball bat, there is a reasonable amount of understanding if you do it in self defense.
    Savage Heartland

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Personal experience:
    After my home was broken into, I remarked to the investigating LEO about getting a big dog. His reply, "Don't bother. Dogs only keep the amateurs and kids away."

He said the pro burgler carries a can of long range wasp spray and it will put down the baddest of dogs faster than mace. He said there's no law against carrying a can of bug spray and it's not legally defined as a "weapon" (unless you're on trial by a jury of wasps).

With the can's extended range and concentrated spray stream, it would make an effective deterent to anyone, and it contains multiple doses.

Would she be any less worried about possible legal reprecussions if she defended herself with a firearm? If anyone asks, she can say she's allergic to insect stings or has an irrational fear of wasps. Nuff said.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That is one of the dumber ideas I've read on this forum.

In fact, it's right up with chamber empty carry.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

Durn....I've already ordered a IWB holster in shark skin
    Savage Heartland

A .38 Special - A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a .38 Special instead.

The .38 Special, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray or a stupid can of insecticide, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The .38 Special can terminate an attacker unless they can get to the hospital emergency room in time. She keeps a concealed revolver in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested keeping a .38 Special revolver near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The .38 Special typically shoots 20 to 30 feet or more; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "shoot the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the .38 Special. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life

Did you also know that a .38 Special will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill a wasp.!!!!"

Fixed!

There! That's better.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member

Hold a Lit Bic lighter under the wasp spray nozzle while spraying and it becomes a flame thrower.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Moderator

Absolutely.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Hold a Lit Bic lighter under the wasp spray nozzle while spraying and it becomes a flame thrower.
    Not any more, even hair spray. They have changed the propellents.

JD
    Administrator

snopes.com: Wasp Spray

Everyone should take note of the part in MI code

This defensive use of wasp spray has been around for years AND IT WORKS. Knock it if you want but I strongly recommend that you do not try it on yourself or your friends as it can cause severe damage to your eyes.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links