Had someone try to run me off the road this morning

This is a discussion on Had someone try to run me off the road this morning within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in southern NH where I have my CCW and am almost always carrying, but I also work and visit friends/relatives in MA so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I live in southern NH where I have my CCW and am almost always carrying, but I also work and visit friends/relatives in MA so I cross the border into MA at least 5-6 times a week. Getting my MA Non-res LTC has been on my to-do list but after what happened this morning it has been moved to the top of my list.

I was driving with my girlfriend and daughter to visit a family member in the hospital in MA. We were on I-495 near Haverhill traveling the speed limit in the center lane when a white Bronco driven by an older scruffy looking man in the right lane decided he just HAD to be in the middle lane. Only problem was, I was in his way. He crossed into my lane almost hitting me which I was able to avoid. I honked at him because I wasn't sure if he was just not paying attention or what and he got very irate.. I could see him yelling and screaming and giving me the finger. I kept going and maybe 1/4 mile down the highway he caught up with us again, came right up on my bumper, then swerved around on my right side and pulled up next to us. I could see him stare right at us as he tried swerving into our lane to side swipe us. I managed to maneuver out of the way before he actually hit my car. My girlfriend and I both went for our cells to call the police and the guy sped off the highway at the next exit. Luckily my girlfriend got his license plate to report him. She dialed 911 and after a quick account of what happened and his license plate number, was put on hold and transferred to the mass state police. She then told them the same quick account and his license plate number, and that was that. They didn't ask for her info or anything and didn't seem to be in all that of a hurry to deal with the road rage driver.

Most importantly we made it back home with only a story to tell, but it was definitely one of those moments that does not sit well. This guy showed intent to harm myself and my loved ones. Had he hit us and run us off the road, who knows what he'd have done next. I've been in other situations that has made me concerned for my personal safety and is one of the reasons I got my CCW in the first place, but this is the first time I've been with loved ones while in that situation. To make matters worse, I was unarmed due to my lack of MA LTC permit and felt like I was not fully prepared to defend them if need be. I'm going to make it a priority to get to a MA ltc class and go through the hassle of getting my MA non-resident "temp" LTC. Our safety is worth the $100 a year, no matter how ridiculous the fee and limited terms may be.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Glad you and yours are safe and sound! This guy will eventually kill himself or someone else. Just happy it was not you this time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by dstringf View Post
    a white Bronco driven by an older scruffy looking man
    My first thought was, "OJ's out of jail again?"

In all seriousness, I'm glad you guys are OK. The world is full of crazies.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    If it were me, I'd avoid trips to Mass... wait.. I already do.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

If you go into MA that much, yeah, I'd put it at top of my list, or another states non-resident permit which would be honored by MA and is easier to get if possible. Good that things didn't go terribly wrong.

Hopefully they will be able to use the tag number and catch him. Who knows, they may have already.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Hey CCWFlaRuger.... Trust me, I do avoid unnecessary trips. If I weren't employed in the state I'd be so much better off. Unfortunately in my field of work there isn't much jobs to be had within NH.

tkruf... MA doesn't honor any other state's CCW permit so I'm stuck with getting the MA LTC.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by dstringf View Post
    tkruf... MA doesn't honor any other state's CCW permit so I'm stuck with getting the MA LTC.
    Sorry to hear that! That's a pretty steep cost for one year. We do what we got to do.

Stay safe.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Go ride a motorcycle for awhile, and watch what people in 4 wheels do to you ..... this would be minor.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Love them Mass drivers

Glad it all turned out ok.

I worry about some road rage jerk following me home.

Road rage. Home invasions. This is the world we live in anymore; shameful
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Go ride a motorcycle for awhile, and watch what people in 4 wheels do to you ..... this would be minor.
    I concur to an extent, but there is a difference between inattentive drivers or ignorant drivers and one trying to purposely ram you. I know, I've been riding for over 20 years now.

BTW - I'm glad you all are safe and sound also. Until you get that, you might invest in a good walkiing cane as a defensive tool in the meantime. Just remember, it's used for walking when asked, you sprained your ankle or your elderly aunt/uncle left it in your vehicle (insert wink).
    Last edited by Guardian; July 4th, 2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Wordage
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Motorcycles do seem to be magnets for idiots. My dad rode for 50 years until he was hit by a semi who wasn't paying attention. He made it OK but has sworn off ever getting back on one. Changed my mind about getting a motorcycle as well.
    Ron Paul.

It's quite distressing to know the situation can get real bad real quick, especially when legally disarmed and you're right in the middle of said situation.
    Been there and didn't like that one little bit!
    Alas, idiotas and lunaticks about on today's roadways!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I concur to an extent, but there is a difference between inattentive drivers or ignorant drivers and one trying to purposely ram you. I know, I've been riding for over 20 years now.
    Absolutely true Eagleks. In thirty years of riding I have had more near death experiences due to other drivers inattention and malice while on a motorcycle than I can count. It is nearly a daily experience. I have had cage drivers deliberately try to steam roller me, run me off the road, share my lane, pull out in front of me, draw guns and try to ram me from behind while on the bike more often than I can count. All at least a thousand times more often than it happens in the car.

Seattle, in fact all of western Washington is the worst. I can be on the open road across the entire country for months with nary a mishap. As soon as I cross state lines the demolition derby begins and gets worst the closer I am to Seattle. Seems they manage to hit me about once every decade.

I carry ball bearings in my left pocket and a ASP.

Dstringf Glad you and yours made it home safely
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Well I am glad everyone is ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links