Door Brace

This is a discussion on Door Brace within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking about using one of these for my bedroom. I live in a small one bedroom apartment, and think it might be good for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door Brace

Door Brace

I'm thinking about using one of these for my bedroom. I live in a small one bedroom apartment, and think it might be good for buying me some time if anyone were to come in uninvited.

Anyone have any experience with a door brace? Could you recommend any specific brands?

2. Remove Ads

Big Jammer Door Brace - Door Stop Provides Security - Smarthome
    Ive seen things similar to this poster on DC before, seems like it would work fairly well, and not a bad price IMO.

I use a very similar one which I purchased from Lowes or Home Depot for about $19. The ones I purchased can also be used in a sliding-glass-door track.

Wedge it in tight underneath the doorknob, and if you use a throw rug or mat, move it out of the way.

Yes, it can buy you time. It's a great value for as cheap as it is.

Your bedroom door is fine to strengthen, but why not the front door also? A delayed intrusion attempt at the front door would give you a few more seconds to wake up and/or prepare.

It seems like the door itself would also have to be pretty sturdy. Most interior doors are not....

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    It seems like the door itself would also have to be pretty sturdy. Most interior doors are not....
    My exterior door is definitly more sturdy. But the interior doors aren't too bad either. its an older building and the doors appear original. The doors are actually wood as opposed to the pressed material I see used a lot. Overall they hold up a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Most interior doors do suck as far as being used as a barricade. But thinking about it, something like this may make it more likely for the person trying to break down the door make a hole in the door, as opposed to just breaking it down. That would buy the OP more time, which is what he wants.

I don't think it can really hurt, unless there is a fire and you forget about it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    They are a great asset, for any living space or home. I have 2 of them from Masterlock, one in my entrance door and the other in my back door (I don't have one in my bedroom since I use a portable dead bolt). It can also be used to secure sliding doors too. And if you can't afford a sophisticated alarm system, also add a door wedge alarm for good measure. I have them in both my bedrooms and also my front and back door.

The door braces will hold up to a good kick or two near the door knob.. If the intruder kicks through the door's center he may get hung up with one leg sticking through a splintered hole..

Good enough to buy you a little time. I have two and use them nightly.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    My exterior door is definitly more sturdy. But the interior doors aren't too bad either. its an older building and the doors appear original. The doors are actually wood as opposed to the pressed material I see used a lot. Overall they hold up a lot better.
    That's good. When I rented, the interior doors were basically glorified cardboard.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Anything that would keep an intruder out would also keep a rescuer out. Just a thought for an apartment where some neighbor starts a fire.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Anything that would keep an intruder out would also keep a rescuer out. Just a thought for an apartment where some neighbor starts a fire.
    That was a concern of mine. That why i was leaning towards just one for the bedroom. Taking care of more than one could potentially take to long in the even of a fire.

The door jammers are removed with a simple kick or pull to the side. Takes NO effort and NO time to remove. A child could open the door from the inside with no problem.

OMO

bosco

Like others have said this is only as good as the door. Look at the picture below that is from the link above. Then look at the door that the jammer is being used on. The door is a giant window!

I have heavy outside doors and I am in the processes of upgrading all of the inside doors. I believe that I will be adding some of these jammers to my setup.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    I like that idea! I could use one in my apt! I bet that could be made easily if one wanted!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

We don't kick in doors in fires anymore. With the tools we use I could force that in an emergency with no problem.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links